18 Month Old Husky

Wulffboy89

So my wife and I got a husky and he is now a year and a half old. He has recently started something I've never seen dogs do before. He has started humping the air to the point of exhaustion. It's usually just slow thrusts but the odd thing is he doesn't ejaculate. We haven't tried breeding him or anything and he isn't fixed. He eats about 2.5 cups of taste of the wild wetlands food in the afternoon every day. Any idea why he has started this behavior?

Horny? LOL. Honestly though, I have no idea why he would suddenly start doing so, but I wouldnt think its anything to really worry about. Could well be there is a bitch thats in heat somewhere around the area that he can smell.

Welcome to husky owners anyway. Hope you enjoy the site :) 

When your dog does this, does he have a "glazed look" in his eyes?? Are there any other things he is doing during these episodes?? He could possibly be having seizures. You may want to take him to your Vet for a thorough checkup. Make a log and annotate the date, length of time each episode is, list all behaviors of what he is doing, etc. Then you can show your Vet the log and see if he may have epilepsy.

(In the meantime, you could probably feed him a little more each day and feed him 2Xs a day instead of once a day. I'd also start giving him a MultiVitamin that contains at least 5mg of Zinc daily.)

Good luck with your baby!!

🐺🐾💜🌞

My dog Nanuk is also a year and a half old and un-neutered and does not do this. He has actually been in the same house as my female Koda when shes in heat (don't worry we're responsible and don't let them get frisky) but even then he doesn't hump the air... sometimes he tries to hump her, but she shows him her teeth and gets very angry and then he leaves her alone. 

Archived