Ghost is going to be a mummy!

Iffriku

Hello everyone, 

So here's our situation... sorry for the long story.

Our little Ghostypup was due to be spayed on 25th May 2018 (in a month and a half), this was 3 months after her 2nd season. She goes in to day care 5 days a week while my partner and I are at work. She went into season on the 1st of February, we contacted our day care and they were happy to have her in whilst she was in heat, they would just separate her from the males. There was a few incidents where I turned up with Ghost having pre-booked her in to be told on the door there were entire males that that day, I had no choice - I had to leave her, they assured me that they would be separate completely. 

At no time were we told that the male had even sniffed her.. let alone anything else. 

So this past week, we've noticed various things.. weight gain, increased appetite loss of energy, etc. etc. and we took some advice that she may be phantom pregnancying. Last night something kicked me from inside her belly... so tonight 13 April, we find out she's pregnant and have 2 weeks before the puppies arrive.

What are we supposed to do!!!!!!

We've ordered a whelping box for her and have swapped her on to puppy food following advice from the vets, we will be having some serious words with our day care provider as we weren't aware of any sort of problem and now this! 

Any help and advice is so very much appreciated! 

Thanks so much!

Louise, Chris and Ghost! 

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Louise,

Last year my female had a false pregnancy... she put on a lot of weight, was acting quite moody and lethargic and eating much more food... I was certain that somehow she must have gotten pregnant. I took her to the vet, they shaved her stomach and did an ultra sound and showed me these things that looked like sacks inside of her and said she was pregnant. They told me to return in a week to do a radiograph to see how many puppies there were and when we did the radiograph there were NO puppies!?!? So weird... 

Anyway, the vet told us the false pregnancies last longer than real ones. Real ones last about 63 days and false ones can last for 80 days or more. Are they doing an ultra sound or radiograph?

If your dog turns out to be pregnant, and you have proof that they said she would be separate from males, I would certainly take them to small claims court to at least cover all the veterinary and expenses for your dog and the puppies as well as food, etc. It can be quite costly, and its not something you bargained for.

As for the whelping box and puppy food, you're off to a good start. I would recommend asking your vet for any more recommendations when you visit them tonight, they know best! 

Cheers

45 minutes ago, amiralovelife said:

Hi Louise,

Last year my female had a false pregnancy... she put on a lot of weight, was acting quite moody and lethargic and eating much more food... I was certain that somehow she must have gotten pregnant. I took her to the vet, they shaved her stomach and did an ultra sound and showed me these things that looked like sacks inside of her and said she was pregnant. They told me to return in a week to do a radiograph to see how many puppies there were and when we did the radiograph there were NO puppies!?!? So weird... 

Anyway, the vet told us the false pregnancies last longer than real ones. Real ones last about 63 days and false ones can last for 80 days or more. Are they doing an ultra sound or radiograph?

If your dog turns out to be pregnant, and you have proof that they said she would be separate from males, I would certainly take them to small claims court to at least cover all the veterinary and expenses for your dog and the puppies as well as food, etc. It can be quite costly, and its not something you bargained for.

As for the whelping box and puppy food, you're off to a good start. I would recommend asking your vet for any more recommendations when you visit them tonight, they know best! 

Cheers

Hiya, 

The vets confirmed tonight via ultrasound that there are at least 3 puppies in her, can't confirm the actual number as they are quite large already and wriggling around. Sorry I didn't make that clear already, heads all over the place! 

I can't believe we have two weeks to prepare! Eek!

We do have proof they would be separate, we will speak with then first to try to ascertain if they can narrow down what breed the site could be, so we can be sure of any health risks or sizing problems. We will also try to get them to cover our costs, or take them to small claims as you suggest. 

Sorry to hear about your experience, what a faff! I've attached a pic of her at the moment, shaved belly and all 🤗.

I'm excited to find out what we have, but very nervous. We are going to keep one puppy for company for her as well. 

Thanks for support and advice, I'll keep you updated as we progress! 

Louise

15236526957636228420245342859350.jpg

20 minutes ago, amiralovelife said:

Oh also, whether its  false pregnancy or a real one you won't be able to spay her in May now... my vet recommends not spaying for at least three months after real or false pregnancy.

All the best!

Sorry forgot to add! Yes we've cancelled the spaying appointment and will do it when safe after her pregnancy. 

It's sods law though right! 

well I would mention as you were told she would be kept away from males and obviously one got her, and they then failed to inform you of that, so you could get the morning after injection. they are now liable for costs of her pregnacy, food and vets bills and for costs of rehoming the mixed breed pups.

I just wanted to add that i believe the "Morning After Injection" would not be advisable and be high risk for your Mama GHOST because she is too far along in her pregnancy and due in 2weeks.

Also, since she has been confirmed pregnant:

*Give her tons of high quality dog food with lots of protein/complex carbs (preferably a large breed "puppy" food) or whatever your vet recommends.

* Have plenty of cool water for her at all times and try to keep her cool.

* Get some towels/blankets for her to stay comfy. 

* When it's birthing time, Mama will do most of the work.

* Don't panic and stay calm for the Mommy to be.

I do not know the legalities & regulations of a Doggy Daycare and a male accidentally getting a female pregnant. I doubt the facility staff was paying attention and will not even know what male did this...or they'll say they don't know who it was most likely.

Since this happened, just make the best of the situation!!🤗 We are all here to help support you. Some folks on here have had pregnant Mommies before and it's a pretty special thing. Everything should work out just fine. So good luck and sit back🍿on the Husky Train!!🚆🤗

GHOST is a very stunning girl!!

💜🐺🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🌞

17 minutes ago, ARMANI & ALINAH said:

I just wanted to add that i believe the "Morning After Injection" would not be advisable and be high risk for your Mama because she is too far along in her pregnancy and due in 2weeks.

I think @PaulG meant they could have got it immediately after the incident if they were informed there and then, not now! I don't think the morning after injection would do anything when she's actually pregnant. :) 

Thank you everyone! 

We're going to talk to doggy day care on Monday. They are usually pretty good so can't believe they hadn't told us! 

Will keep you all posted on progress and Ghostymum as we're now calling her 🤭

I did follow Winter's birthing on here quite closely so might also contact her owner for advice. 

Feeling more prepared with you all behind me! We immediately went shopping and bought a few packs of the food the vet recommended, as we're so late in the pregnancy and we give her high calcium/protein food anyway, it's actually only a small change to her diet.

We're exited to find out what were having and are starting to pull resource in in terms of favours and family to assist us after birth with work etc. As you rightly say @ARMANI & ALINAH make the best of it!!! 

Thank you everyone!!

On 4/13/2018 at 4:54 PM, Iffriku said:

15236526957636228420245342859350.jpg

Awwwww... she looks so sweet, so much like my Nanuk.

Definitely shocking ti find out only two weeks before but it's also kinda exciting now that you're in the situation!?!? I wonder what breed the puppies are mixed with, I can't wait to see the pictures! Lucky that its only a litter of three, at least that sounds manageable... better then lets say 7,8 or 9!!!

Please keep us posted. Wishing your lovely pup a safe delivery and healthy pups!

Cheers

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 11:23 PM, BingBlaze n Skyla said:

I'd be fuming with The day care , they need to cover any costs and the owners of the male dog need to be aware as behaviour can change after mating 

I'm angry, worried and concerned for my pup, she is only a year and a half her self and we still call her puppy 😢 I'm excited as we're obviously now having puppies, but still so angry they've let this happen. 

Will be speaking to a solicitor on Monday about our rights and get our legal basis sorted before making demands, will also tell them to let the male owner know, but it is probably too late now being nearly 2 months down the line!!!

7 hours ago, amiralovelife said:

Awwwww... she looks so sweet, so much like my Nanuk.

Definitely shocking ti find out only two weeks before but it's also kinda exciting now that you're in the situation!?!? I wonder what breed the puppies are mixed with, I can't wait to see the pictures! Lucky that its only a litter of three, at least that sounds manageable... better then lets say 7,8 or 9!!!

Please keep us posted. Wishing your lovely pup a safe delivery and healthy pups!

Cheers

Well they said at least 3.. couldn't confirm actual number as they are too active and wiggly to see what's actually in there!! Poor girl is having to poop kicked out of her this morning, one is definitely a trouble maker! 

So it's surprise breed and surprise amount! 

We are excited, but also very very nervous and worried. Neither of us are prepared for this at all, we've now spoken with family and friends and have received amazing support so we might be able to do this after all! As soon as we've narrowed down the breed of the male I will let you know! 

I was looking through pictures the doggy day care puts on Facebook of the different breeds they have in and there are a couple of interesting ones!! Just hoping that what ever it is, he's a healthy boy with no hereditary issues and not too big to cause my girl problems during birth.

Just be sure to have your local animal hospital number and location handy in case you run into any issues and she needs immediate care... I think everything should be fine! I remember when I was a child seeing one of my dogs have puppies at my parents house and the mom seems to know exactly what she's doing ... the baby comes out and she takes them out of this sack thing immediately, if she doesn't for some reason I believe you have to open it yourself in rare cases... But its amazing how much mothers know how to handle these situations instinctually so she should be fine.

As for the dad, I honestly think any breed mixed with husky tends to look awesome... I have seen huskies mixed with GSD, corgie, and lab at my dog park and they are all absolutely stunning! I am sure whatever you end up with they'll be awesome ❤️ 

All the best!

Thank you everyone!

We have now spoken to day care and they are very apologetic, shocked and stunned. We've agreed a financial support plan and theyve also agreed to have ghost and all puppies from 5 weeks free of charge in their care with a dedicated staff member completely closed off and sanitised for 5 weeks while we arrange to sell.

We have also got 3 breeds, black lab, brown vizsla and a Chihuahua (doubt this last one as he is only a few months old himself!). Both contenders are healthy and similar sized to our girl so we should be ok size wise.

We're feeling quite a bit better about it, having secured a whelping box, and have  researched a lot and also had overwhelming response from family and friends. We have a local 24 hr vet aware and ready for us and have a family member coming to support us in birth in case things go south.

We've heard you can have an x-ray with dog pregnancy to get the exact amount of puppies... unsure of this as pregnant women can't have x-rays. What do you think of this?? Is this a thing??

Here she is demanding more belly rubs!! 

20180415_210054.jpg

• 1 month later...
42 minutes ago, Luna-tic said:

Any news on your pups? You must have them by now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh my gosh I'm so sorry! 

It's been a nightmare in my house right now (with puppies, arranging cover, my son badly broke his arm, birthdays - crazy house) and totally forgot to even say she'd had them!

23rd April she had them in the morning. All five born wonderfully and Ghost did absolutely amazing with them. Dealt with all of it herself, she was so born to be a mum. 

We're still unsure what they are, I think we have Vizsla and Labrador puppies ... my partner thinks just Labrador (pics incoming) 

We're now mid wean on to puppy food which is going well. 

I'm so so so sorry I didn't update you when they were born, we really had our hands full organising full time cover for them as we both work full time.

20180423_162721.jpg

20180423_120549.jpg

20180423_184932.jpg

20180520_153056.jpg

20180514_183549.jpg

20180514_183258.jpg

20180514_183139.jpg

20180514_183125.jpg

20180514_183105.jpg

20180520_153056.jpg

So cute!!! I think maybe both dogs got her, they can have pups from different dads in same litter! But more lab I think, will see more as they grow

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Ohhhh thank you, they are gorgeous, I see only Labrador, hardly even a hint of husky lol, I guess Dad had some strong genes! It will be so interesting to see how they turn out. Any plans for them? 5 is more than enough for which to have to find good homes. Well done for looking to the positive especially with everything else with which you’ve had to cope.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We're probably going to be DNA testing two of them, the girl (who I think is turning more vizsla everyday) and mr blue (who looks very labrador to me) if we are still unsure in a week or two and try and go from there really. Can't sell them as Husky surprise!  

We are going to sell 4 of them, and keep the last one which doesn't sell. Our Ghost was last in the litter and she's turned out beautifully. Plus I love them all so much I couldn't possibly chose which one to keep right now!!!

We have to see the positives now, they are so active and running around, they aren't quite out the whelping box yet, but we will be getting a carpeted play pen in the next few days for them to really stretch their legs. All their little personalities are coming out and they come running to see you with their little tails going eeeekkkk (actually squeaked a bit)!!!

@Luna-tic Haha! If I hadn't of seen her give birth to them I genuinely would have thought she just found them one night and bought them home! They don't look a teensy bit husky at all! The only part we can possibly see is the eyes if they stay blue, she carries the blue gene from her litter, so we will just have to see if they turn!

He is being xrayed today to see how it is healing and hopefully get a smaller cast (currently shoulder to knuckles! very frustrating for a recently turned 6 year old!)

Thank you all! It's been a very stressful 5 weeks since finding out she was pregnant! We're just trying to do what's right for the puppies now to give them the best start possible and make sure they go in to their perfect furever (sorry...) home.

Archived