What collar/ Harness do you use?

Hashiyan
Message added by Marc

NOTE FROM ADMIN:- eCollars are mentioned in this topic. Whilst we appreciate these are a controversial subject, we expect all conversation to be civil and friendly on our site. Opinions are fine, judgement is not. 

My dog slipped out of her new harness. It was newer because she had slipped out of her last one as well and I had returned t and asked an employee if they had better ones. They gave me one with padded and said no dog will ever slip through. Stupid enough I believed them and it took her a month or two to finally slip out of her new one. Any advice? I'm not a fan of collars as they can slip out easily as well. Any links would be nice. I just want my pup to be safe on walks, I've been looking all online but see that most still let them slip through. I was lucky she isn't as scared as normal dogs. She ran around at first since we weren't near home but calmed down and walked around to sniff at a bush. 

You should use both a collar and a harness at the same time. So you put the harness on, but then you have a link lead which goes from the harness to the collar. This way she cant slip out of the harness (in theory) because its attached to her neck, and even if she does managed to get it loose, its still attached to her collar, and more importantly her lead. I have Julius K9 harnesses for ours, and one of ours is an escape artist. They do seem to be better harnesses IMO than any other. With regard link leads, collars etc, you are best with indi-dog. Sid will make them however you need them, so you're less limited on what you can get.

@Sid_Wolf - What you got that you can offer this guy?

What type of harness where you using? The only harnesses which are escape proof are ones which have a second belly strap around where their tummy tucks up.

I make one called the Houdini, which is very popular with escape artist dogs, and can be customised with added extras like front rings and grab handles :)

They start at £20 (use the coupon code INDI-HUSKY for 10% off) and we ship worldwide :)

FB_IMG_1504891221780.jpg

FB_IMG_1510747882409.jpg

On 4/11/2018 at 5:13 AM, Sid_Wolf said:

What type of harness where you using? The only harnesses which are escape proof are ones which have a second belly strap around where their tummy tucks up.

I make one called the Houdini, which is very popular with escape artist dogs, and can be customised with added extras like front rings and grab handles :)

They start at £20 (use the coupon code INDI-HUSKY for 10% off) and we ship worldwide :)

FB_IMG_1504891221780.jpg

FB_IMG_1510747882409.jpg

Thank you I will have a look at the site! I just want my pup to be safe when we go on walks. Thank you all again! 

Amy has a hudini from indi dog, I love it no way is she slipping out of it! I had the handle on top which is great if you want to keep them close 😀

876A3179-8A6B-44D6-8848-B32B36AD62C0.jpeg

I used to use the easy walk harness until I took Koda for training and the trainer told me that harnesses actually make huskies want to pull more... she recommended that we use a flat collar, so we switched to a flat collar and reinforced heeling with treats. I also use the Educator remote collars, because I allow my dogs to run off leash in the woods behind my house. I know that some people think those collars are controversial, but I have personally shocked myself with it on my neck to see what it feels like and it was fine, just like a weird jolt that calls your attention, I have been vegan for 12 years and I absolutely LOVE animals so it was important for me to personally test it out -- this particular collar is a high grade one, and not meant to cause pain and I can attest to the fact that it doesn't, even on my bare skin, let alone long husky fur. The great thing about this collar is that is also has a vibrate option without shock which I use about 95% of the time just to remind them to continue to heel if they are on a leash, or to call them back when they're off leash. I absolutely love it and its been a life saver -- its allowed them the liberty to roam free, run their hearts out in the woods and swim in the creek, all under my care. It's also made leash walking far easier for me, and reduced pulling by at least 90%..unless of course they see a squirrel or something irresistible!

https://www.educatorcollars.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjwk9HWBRApEiwA6mKWablmlcbQz8racg9Y3d47ElKGtOU5bsU1e1F386A4psHEnoC7uN4bfRoC6MUQAvD_BwE

In my opinion, all shock e-collars should be banned. They cause severe fear, anxiety and induce panic in dogs; the dogs become nontrusting of their owners for life.  Shock collars are a negative way to train dogs. Though you tried it on yourself, did you try it on the highest setting?? You may understand what an electric shock collar can do, but dogs do not understand why they are being shocked...it's so cruel to me & only causes fear. Dogs are innocent and this nasty device in awful.

OMGosh, I would never shock my sweet babies. They are too precious and deserve the very best in life and with "positive reinforcement."

I'm sticking to harnesses. They are much better, safer, and I can control them much better...versus an "educator remote collar," electric, e-collar or shock collars. Everyone is calling the shock collars "different names" so they don't sound as harsh/ cruel. (No matter what you call them, they are still "electric shock collars.")

A lover of animals wouldn’t entertain any sort of shock collar however you dress it up and they’re controversial for a reason. The relationship between you and your dog should be built on trust and the best way to do this is positive reinforced training. I wonder how free a dog really feels with one of those god awful collars around it’s neck.

Positive reinforcement all the way ! My 2 aren't even interested in squirrels anymore even when they run In front of us , mine wear harnesses and don't pull , they walk in front of me but they walk nicely after all it's their walk I wouldn't want them stuck to my side not enjoying the sights and smells 

We use Julius K9 harnesses for their solidity and comfort (for the dogs!) safetied to collars. Our escape artist, Granite, has the 'Y' strap on his harness and he's never escaped that - and none of ours can slip their collar as their semi-slips will only just get over their heads and tighten slightly (being a semi-slip!) so can't slip back off. We do occasionally use safeties on our leads (one connection to collar and one to harness) though that's usually a foster dog who has their own harness (we always make the fosters a collar and lead - but then that's our business) and always double lead our dogs next to roads, etc. We also make headcollars and always supply a safety. Let's just say we're safety concious! 😀

Granite with his harness - and embroidered name, which we also make

IMG_5271.jpg

9 hours ago, Markulous said:

We use Julius K9 harnesses for their solidity and comfort (for the dogs!) safetied to collars. Our escape artist, Granite, has the 'Y' strap on his harness and he's never escaped that - and none of ours can slip their collar as their semi-slips will only just get over their heads and tighten slightly (being a semi-slip!) so can't slip back off. We do occasionally use safeties on our leads (one connection to collar and one to harness) though that's usually a foster dog who has their own harness (we always make the fosters a collar and lead - but then that's our business) and always double lead our dogs next to roads, etc. We also make headcollars and always supply a safety. Let's just say we're safety concious! 😀

Granite with his harness - and embroidered name, which we also make

IMG_5271.jpg

@Markulous ~ Do you make these harnesses in different colors?? ARMANI has an orange collar, and ALINAH has a purple one.

Also, for the exact harness setup shown on GRANITE, what would the amount be for making one each??

Love these harnesses!!💜🐺🐺🙏🙏

9 hours ago, ARMANI & ALINAH said:

@Markulous ~ Do you make these harnesses in different colors?? ARMANI has an orange collar, and ALINAH has a purple one.

Also, for the exact harness setup shown on GRANITE, what would the amount be for making one each??

Love these harnesses!!💜🐺🐺🙏🙏

they are Julius K9 harness you can buy them in a lot of different colours...have a look at their website  https://usa.julius-k9.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwttbWBRDyARIsAN8zhbIDlT8IHD5g33jlU7pIvxSlsSu-DzGaCBWBnUEVY3pfvUurkEo_kE8aAi7qEALw_wcB

Archived