What should I feed our son

Carl B

Hello all.and thanks in advance. Were still trying food for our son. But he's stool is like water. I read I should feed raw. Then read that I should not feed raw. He is eating iams at the moment. Because that's what vet recommended. He's very active and plays all the time. As well as walks. But he will eat grass and mulch when outside, so I know they will eat grass of there belly is upset? Any help would be most appreciated thank you.

BB8F4737-1295-4B2E-8097-C918F6BF542A.jpeg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

runny stools could also be due to overfeeding this includes the amount of treats...iams is not the food I would give my pup...I feed holistic dry food pellets no grain...

Ok. The most treats he gets his maybe 4 a day. As food he is only getting 1/2 cup 4 times a day. And he doesn't eat it most of the time. Which I heard is common. I heard that I should do royal canin. That it's breed specific. But only place I can find it on online. Thanks for the response.

royal canin is not  that good either imo... taste of the wild is much better... or go raw ..there will be others posting a bit more about that, for me to expensive where I am..

Ok. The most treats he gets his maybe 4 a day. As food he is only getting 1/2 cup 4 times a day. And he doesn't eat it most of the time. Which I heard is common. I heard that I should do royal canin. That it's breed specific. But only place I can find it on online. Thanks for the response.

Agree with Rob, royal canin says breed specific but read the back, they are mostly the same, its worth doing some research, look at ingredient list, the higher up the list the more of that ingredient in the food, try to avoid grains and meat meal. I use a cold pressed UK brand but there are so many to choose from its a bit of a minefield
Good luck with your pup [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

Agree with Rob, royal canin says breed specific but read the back, they are mostly the same, its worth doing some research, look at ingredient list, the higher up the list the more of that ingredient in the food, try to avoid grains and meat meal. I use a cold pressed UK brand but there are so many to choose from its a bit of a minefield

Lunar had the runs for the first three years of his life  -   I finally got him onto raw and he has never looked back, - that was 10 years ago and been feeding raw ever since.  There are many companies out there who specialize in ready prepared raw foods - until you get the hang of it yourself (obviously cheaper to do it yourself).     Huskies particularly do not digest starch very well  and wheat/soy blocks the zinc receptors   -  and some huskies are susceptible to zinc deficiencies.

Should I try TOTW?. I read post after post    forum after forum. I'm lost on some of it. Most be say this them most say the total opposite. Of course I know this happens. I did research for a long while before we rescued Blizzard.  Just wanna make sure this little guy gets all he needs. And I appreciate all of the response to the post. Who better the Husky owners. So for the first few month is it safe to say that his food well be trial and error

Hopefully the cutting down portion size will help.  Paying attention to any treats you give too as sometimes they can be the culprit too.

Ice had a volcano bum for pretty much the first year of his life, so I can sympathise there.  In the end we discovered that the original flavour of tinned chappie was the only thing he could eat that would help him.  He was on that for about 3/4 years in the end.

These days his body is a bit more stable and so we have been able to gradually switch his food over to a grain free kibble.  In the early days though, it felt like we lived in a sea of poop. 🤦🏼‍♀😆

• 1 month later...

I am having the same issue with my boy and he has lost a kg in weight.. this I know could be because of my girl just being in heat .. but it does worry me.. I currently have them both on Acana and although his stools are getting better .. he will still act like he is straining and sometimes even though he has a mainly solid ish poop.. he will still have a bit that is not so solid at the end .. any help would be greatly appreciated

@Mary,   I am a raw feeder so had to look up Acana  - and it does appear to be one of the better packaged foods -  however have you tried adding 20% raw food to his diet.   As I wrote in a previous post, my older dog had the runs for the first three years of his life until I managed to get him onto raw food  -  never had a problem since.   Also adding some raw food will help him put that kilo back on.   beef mince, lamb, fish, - even a tin of sardines with liquid  (in spring water or oil).  Introduce slowly so as not to exacerbate his runny poos.   Also I found a couple of raw lamb's ribs a day will help to bind him somewhat  -  and he will love them I promise! 

@wolfpup... thank you very much for your help.. I haven’t tried raw feeding tbh, but if I can help him in any way I will.. it did worry me when he lost the weight as he was only 25kg to begin with... I have stopped his treats( which he doesn’t like me for) I do wish to be able to give him treats but obviously don’t want him having a poorly tummy either x

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Blizzard had been on TOTW for over a month now. He's up to 35lbs. I'm not saying that's what it is. But as soon as we started giving grain free,his stool improved. He gets raw 2 times a week. He only gets very little treats.  What ever you do don't tell the vet. I made that mistake and had to prove my point to her. Lol she said are you a vet. So here is blizzard now.

8C1D341D-934C-4C04-9DEE-6C4FC563E624.jpeg

Aww, BLIZZARD is such a furry, striking pup!! Just gorgeous!! I'm happy to hear you have him better regulated.
With puppies, always make sure you give a stool sample to your Vet to check for any worms or bacteria. Worms/bacteria can cause severe diarrhea, so they need deworming meds & possibly antibiotics (if needed). Puppies also need 3 series of shots.
It's good to give pups a "Puppy" MultiVitamin and Probiotic.
The grain free food is good.
[emoji847][emoji191][emoji252][emoji171]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Husky Owners mobile app

On 4/8/2018 at 5:57 PM, Carl B said:

Just got TOTW and Blizzard loves it. I'm gonna try this and so more research on raw. Then slowly convert him to a full raw. Thanks for all of your guys help. @Jo @robke @wolfpup

You do not say where you are from as the people who could tell you about raw feeding  can not help you find a supply, I have a company where i live in in South Wales who deliver to door from  Haverford West to Cardiff Not sure how far north they goy but probably go all the way. at his age you would need a 450gram sleave and that works out at 75p each or 67. if you buy 24 at a time

Mary, if you cannot change him to totally raw then just add some raw food in with his normal food.    I cannot help with choosing a supplier for you as I am in the UK  -  just do an on-line search for raw dog food suppliers - find one close and go check it out  (some do differ in quality).   To start with you need to buy one that is already made up and balanced  -  it can be quite intimidating to start with trying to balance the vitamins and minerals  -  if/when you decide to go fully raw then come back to me  -  I can save you months - if not years - of study and research  -  just send me a pm.

I cannot see your pictures  so I don't know how big your boy is  -  Marley is 2 1/2 years old and weighs 22kg  but he is smaller than some huskies - vet says he is a perfect weight for his build.

3 hours ago, Carl B said:

I'm from the U.S.A in Columbus

We have a few people in the USA who feed raw I am sure they could help find a local suply for you

Raw is easy, just work out what weight of food your dog should have (there’s an online calculator) and then weigh bits of raw food, including bone, until you have the total grams. This can be anything, chicken thighs or drumsticks, duck necks, mince, lamb (cheaper cuts are fine like scrag end or breast, pork ribs, fresh sardine, raw tripe. Just try a couple of things at a time until you know what your dog will eat and then mix and match. Mine also has oxtail too. Some raw meat you can buy frozen but there’s no reason why you can’t buy in bulk and freeze it. I buy trays of thighs for the dog and drumsticks for the cat from a wholesaler. As huskies don’t need much food it really isn’t that expensive, it’s not like they need fillet steak!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@CarlB ~ Are you from Columbus "OHIO"??
We're from Beavercreek Ohio near Wright-Patterson Air Force Base!!
This is the best forum!!
[emoji847][emoji191][emoji191][emoji252][emoji252][emoji171]

But they should get filet steak!![emoji23][emoji23]

Archived