zinc deficiency?

emmaarneaud

This was a little hard to capture, this sore has shown up on shiloh's face near his mouth. Hes been raw fed since we got him 8 weeks ago, pre made so hes getting a balance of meat,bone & organ (80/10/10). could it be the usual zinc issue?

I've started him on 1tsp of kelp today & I'm applying sudocrem to it daily.

Thoughts people please?

thanks. 20180405_183617.jpg

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

I’ve not seen any decent fish over here in Calgary. It’s all brought in ready prepped to sell in the stores. He has ground salmon every couple of days with his ground meats, I make a point of him having about 200g worth

Sent from my iPad using Husky Owners

Foods That Are Naturally High In Zinc

• Most meats, 100 grams yield 100 mgs of Zinc ( beef, chicken, duck, pork, salmon)
  • 100 grams of the following foods yield Zinc in the following quantities:
  • Turkey 120mgs
  • Lamb 150mgs
  • Liver 130mgs
  • Tuna in oil 120 mgs
  • Eggs 70mgs
  • Apples, blackberries, and strawberries 100mgs
  • Plain yogurt 200mgs
  • Carrots (raw) 50 mgs
  • Potato (baked) 120 mgs
  • Pumpkin 100 mgs
  • Sweet potato and yams 100mgs
  • Peanuts( raw) 5 = 25 mgs

You can give too much zinc - which will interfere with other processes within your dog.    ("Zinc does have a toxicity level in the body but because there is no way to store Zinc in the vital organs, toxic levels of Zinc come from one time large doses. Single doses of 225mgs to 450 mgs will cause vomiting in a dog. Lethal doses of Zinc begin at about 900mgs.")   However if the spot heals with a zinc based cream - you will know. 

If you suspect ZRD then I would get a specific check done

All intelligent bits above come from Snowdog.guru by the way

Archived