Is it more than just biting

lorrieann90

Hello, we just adopted a ten week old husky puppy and I was just curious to know if it is normal for our pup to lunge at us bitting? I have tried yelping , times out,  firmly saying No and redirecting. I he is our first puppy and to be honest I am a tad bit ignorant on what is typical.

We also have children in our home and he will at times, run up on them and lunge as well. This behavior happens most of the time when he is over excited and then their are times he will just lunge at them out of the blue. 

To be honest most of that above behaviors happen I feel when the pup is excited but their are times not All the time where he will just get up and lunge bite snd hold on  to their clothing and growls.  We have tried yelping firm nos and tome outs and he still doesn't budge.

We also been noticing that he is possibly resource gaurding his food and when he goes down to sleep. So it makes me  nervous. We have been in contact with a dog trainer and are hoping to get guidance that way as well.

Looking for some guidance I don't want to give up on him and I do understand some of this I hope is just puppy behavior. We definitely are bringing in trainer for what she has informed us sounds like resources guarding.

IMG_20180325_203410_022.jpg

Did you see both parents  -  or at least your puppy with her mother?   It sounds as if she might have not gotten the bite restraint training from her mum and siblings.    I had that problem with Marley  (I became his 4th owner and he was 12 weeks old when I got him) and with Louie, a borzoi I took at 6 weeks old because his mum had died.

However I basically just used the methods you have already mentioned (yelping loudly and then refusing to participate, ignoring him, and time out).  Perseverance over a couple of months did the trick with both.

Good luck

You have only had pup for 2 weeks at the most ? Yet you've tried a lot of different methods which will confuse him , find the method you thought worked the best out of them all and stick with that one, he'll soon realise what you're trying to ask of him , what do you mean with regards to food guarding and when he's sleeping?

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

It takes a lot longer than a couple of weeks to train a puppy! Stick to one method so they can learn. Huskies are very stubborn and quite hard to train so you need to be consistent

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

18 hours ago, Rachael_Astro said:

It takes a lot longer than a couple of weeks to train a puppy! Stick to one method so they can learn. Huskies are very stubborn and quite hard to train so you need to be consistent

what is the best method to teach my dog to not to bite me :(

to say no turn away and ignore...pups hate being ignored...but als you need to know that not turn around wait 2 seconds and then give full on attention again.... but the biggest thing with any dog is be consistent...

I agree with the others to stay consistent and keep up with it.  2 weeks isn't really enough time to train.  Also, I think you contacting a training would be a good idea, as I would start formal training asap.

15 hours ago, robke said:

to say no turn away and ignore...pups hate being ignored...but als you need to know that not turn around wait 2 seconds and then give full on attention again.... but the biggest thing with any dog is be consistent...

i turn away and ignore my beloved puppy but still he is consistent on biting on me :lol:

2 hours ago, Aldrich said:

i turn away and ignore my beloved puppy but still he is consistent on biting on me :lol:

then remove him for a few seconds with a command ...for instance put him in the hall with the command " Hall " ...and make him sit ... I only have to say hall if the misbehave and it all stops...just be consistent with this like any training...do not change your method every time that only confuses them...

Distraction worked well for mine before they understood perpetual biting means a time out. Consistency is key with training, as mentioned already find what works and stick with it, once he understands what you’re asking of him he should do as asked, (hopefully) it does take a lot of time and patience and praise when he gets it right.

Thanks guys, sorry for my poor explanation.  We recently called a trainer and she informed me he is resource gaurding his items. Any advice with that? We have two 5 year olds and it makes me nervous. She basically informed me to return him back to the breeder.

do not get me wrong but did the trainer see the pup doing this behaviour?  Resource guarding to me is the easy way out answer and let me (the trainer) burn a hole in your bank account...

Resource guarding if that is what your dog is doing doesn't mean he can't be arou d your children you just train not just your puppy but your kids on how to behave around the dog when there are toys etc around, he doesn't need returning it's fixable , what is it he's doing that makes you/the trainer think he's guarding ?

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

He’s just a baby yet and doesn’t know or understand what behaviours you expect from him until you train him, it takes commitment and patience to get the behaviours you want. There is no quick and easy way to train a dog, you need to be consistent.
What kind of trainer would tell you to return him to the breeder, you’d be better off seeing a behaviourist.

Please don't give up on your puppy. He's just a little baby and doesn't know any better. I think him biting is his way of wanting to play. (My Husky did that, bit me, tore my clothes, but with training, he is the best!! I cannot imagine life without him and he's two now.)
Puppies need lots of attention, play, training, and love. Just like human babies. He has all this great energy and just needs help to get that out of him. You can roll a ball, use a dog rope for light tug of war, get some nonedible chew bones for his chewing time, use training treats to get him to sit, shake, etc. If you get rid of him, you'll never know what you had...a wonderful & loving dog. Won't give up...you can do this. The end result is heartwarming!!
[emoji847][emoji171][emoji252][emoji191][emoji169][emoji847]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Husky Owners mobile app

What kind of trainer tells someone to return a dog to the breeder because there is an issue?! They're not a tin of beans!
I agree that a behaviourist would be better than a trainer.
What exactly is he guarding, food or toys?

2 weeks is no time at all Imagine if people gave up on babies because they haven’t learned not to cry or poop into a potty etc. etc. it’s unthinkable. Your pup has arrived in a new place with strange people so he’s busy learning what to do, where and when. Of course he’ll be on his guard too, firm but fair just like children. Make an area that’s his, then train your children to respect it and not intrude. Remove his food when he’s finished so he’s not minded to protect it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived