Sign in to follow this  
Xilonen1991

My puppy keeps attacking me! Help!

Hello everyone! I'm new here, just found this site today. I need help because I'm at my wits end.

I have a 3-month-old husky, named Xilonen. I have had her for a little over month. Training is going as well as can be expected. We were doing really well until about 2 weeks ago- out of nowhere, she started biting me HARD- my hands, arms, calves, ankles, she has even jumped up to bite my bum! Her teeth get caught in my clothes and she won't let go! She growls and pulls, even if I don't pull back. I don't care about the clothes, but sometimes she catches a body part, and it seems like her grip tightens on me.

The breeder claimed she was 8 weeks old. However, we failed to ask if she was being kept with her mother the entire time (1st time buying a dog from a breeder). I know we didn't ask the right questions, but I suspect her mother never taught her bite inhibition.

Also, I have noticed that sometimes when she opens and closes her mouth, I hear her teeth grinding, as if her teeth didn't align properly. Is that normal? 

Xilonen also jumps on me and no matter how much I try to get her to stop, she proceeds to hump my leg. And won't stop. Once in a while, she obeys the "OFF" command. Or she jumps on me and proceeds to bite me hard and pull, as mentioned above. 

She only does this to me and not to my husband! I'm assuming it's because she knows he's the alpha. 

I don't know what to do! (I spend the most time with her!) What am I doing wrong?

Sorry for the long post. 

Thanks in advance.

-Vanni and Xilonen

IMG_6024.JPG

IMG_6056.JPG

IMG_6140.JPG

What is happening when she starts to bite ? Are u playing with her or anything? I personally have a house lead on her (long lead without a handle so it doesn't get caught on anything, and when she starts a firm no and remove her from the room until she's calmed down, or you can redirect her with a toy

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

• Like 3

I would do the same as Nix ... remove with a command, I only have to say Hall and it all stops ...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BingBlaze n Skyla said:

What is happening when she starts to bite ? Are u playing with her or anything? I personally have a house lead on her (long lead without a handle so it doesn't get caught on anything, and when she starts a firm no and remove her from the room until she's calmed down, or you can redirect her with a toy

When you say remove her from room, it can be mean that I put her to another room alone? But she will chew things there and later on she will cry. :(

Hall way is what we use and not that long about 30 secs is what works for us but be consistent with it...

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, robke said:

Hall way is what we use and not that long about 30 secs is what works for us but be consistent with it...

after that 30 seconds does your puppy not rough anymore? :D

4 hours ago, BingBlaze n Skyla said:

Sometimes it's when I take her outside. Other times it's when we are playing indoors. 

When we play I have tried to stop the biting with a firm NO and then redirect with another toy. She will drop the toy and try to bite me again. 

I will try your sugesstion.  Thank you!

It can be a hallway just a room where you can separate her briefly so she knows all rough play like that etc means no play at all , soon as she starts to bite again you remove her , she will learn eventually

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kenno said:

after that 30 seconds does your puppy not rough anymore? :D

mine did not after a week or so of doing this...she was a rescue and we got her at 1 year old but same works on pups...

• Like 1

8 weeks is too young really, between 8-12 weeks puppies learn their socialization skills from their mother and siblings which means you will have to replace that. Think about food too, I was told by a vet that dogs are a lot calmer on a raw diet. Instruction is likely to be the most successful, lots of reinforcement and praise and time out when she doesn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Everyone has given great advice. Just keep working with her and try not to get too frustrated. It does get better. Get her plenty of teething toys since she'll be cutting teeth soon. Also, some light training (5-10 minutes) with training treats is good for bonding. It's also great for mental stimulation, which is just as important as physical stimulation. You can get a puppy brush and lightly brush her everyday. Get a doggy rope to play "tug" lightly instead of her chewing on you. Make up games like "hide & seek", puzzle dog games, etc.
It's the "one on one" things that are great with learning, play time and bonding.
Best of luck to you!!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Husky Owners mobile app

• Like 1

I agree with the others, if your pup is teething then I would get something cold to chew on.  I would get a washcloth wet and freeze it and it seems to help. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Jay said:

I agree with the others, if your pup is teething then I would get something cold to chew on.  I would get a washcloth wet and freeze it and it seems to help. 

Thanks. I tried that, more than once, and she doesn't like it. She sniffs the cloth and ignores it. ☹️ I assume part of the reason she is biting is due to teething. 

Thanks. I tried that, more than once, and she doesn't like it. She sniffs the cloth and ignores it. ️ I assume part of the reason she is biting is due to teething. 
They dont usually start to teeth till around 4-5 months but she could be early n that might be the grinding you've heard , frozen carrots might be worth a try too

• Like 2

Thanks everyone! 

Update: she's still biting, but not as often and not as bad. I think removing her might be working. She seems to get the hang of chewing toys is ok, people not ok. 😁

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Xilonen1991 said:

Thanks everyone! 

Update: she's still biting, but not as often and not as bad. I think removing her might be working. She seems to get the hang of chewing toys is ok, people not ok. 😁

Where did you put him when you remove him in the  place? and how did you do it :lol: I really want to  teach my lil puppy to not bite us

• Like 1

OMG your puppy looks like mine!! Luna did this things too, but just calling her out didn't work. I spank her or scared her by making a very loud noise followed by a firm no. Sometimes I raise my voice too. It took time but she got it. By now if I say certain words in that tone she knows she did wrong. She's a year and three months now and she's bettee behaved. When we first got her it was a little storm all around.

I'll add a picture of her on her first day at home and a pic of her a few weeks ago. You'll see a small barrier somewhere were we just cleaned.

Also, it got worse for me while sge was teething so I boughther lots of toys to play with including one where you'll add a bit of water and freeze it and she loved that one working to get the small ice off of it.

20170403_200023.thumb.jpg.e20cd68f504cb485a9a09e9d018568af.jpg20170703_113918.thumb.jpg.8ad0cd3dcbb0ec820417b138dd17b74a.jpg

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

6 hours ago, devil_woman_24 said:

OMG your puppy looks like mine!! Luna did this things too, but just calling her out didn't work. I spank her or scared her by making a very loud noise followed by a firm no. Sometimes I raise my voice too. It took time but she got it. By now if I say certain words in that tone she knows she did wrong. She's a year and three months now and she's bettee behaved. When we first got her it was a little storm all around.

I'll add a picture of her on her first day at home and a pic of her a few weeks ago. You'll see a small barrier somewhere were we just cleaned. emoji23.png

Also, it got worse for me while sge was teething so I boughther lots of toys to play with including one where you'll add a bit of water and freeze it and she loved that one working to get the small ice off of it.

20170403_200023.thumb.jpg.e20cd68f504cb485a9a09e9d018568af.jpg20170703_113918.thumb.jpg.8ad0cd3dcbb0ec820417b138dd17b74a.jpg

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Your dog is beautiful! She could my baby girl's twin! 

Thanks, I'm going to see about teething toys. We had a vet appointment yesterday and she told me she'll start teething soon. 

easy teething tools:  frozen carrots (and even good for them), frozen towels (can keep loads in the freezer and does not need to be expensive)...

• Like 1

Please do not use spanking, yelling or making loud noises to try to scare your puppy. Honestly, that does absolutely "nothing." The only thing that it does is cause distrust. You want your puppy to trust you don't you??
Much better ways is "positive" training & reinforcement by redirecting with a toy, etc.
You want your puppy to have a forever life full of trust, love & happiness.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Husky Owners mobile app

• Like 3