*CORRECTING ZINC DEFICIENCY*

Invaluable information to help your Husky or Northern Breed Dog with symptoms of Zinc Deficiency. You should not give zinc by itself. There are other vitamins/nutrients that go along to support zinc and its absorbtion. Too much zinc can be very toxic. So please be careful when giving various brands and dosages of Zinc Supplements to your dogs. This article shows zinc level requirements for raw food and dry food. In addition, it explains how much zinc is required per weight of your dog.

I hope this information is beneficial.

[emoji847][emoji191][emoji252][emoji191][emoji252][emoji274]

https://www.snowdog.guru/correcting-zinc-deficiency-in-huskies/

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Husky Owners mobile app

Invaluable information to help your Husky or Northern Breed Dog with symptoms of Zinc Deficiency. You should not give zinc by itself. There are other vitamins/nutrients that go along to support zinc and its absorbtion. Too much zinc can be very toxic. So please be careful when giving various brands and dosages of Zinc Supplements to your dogs. This article shows zinc level requirements for raw food and dry food. In addition, it explains how much zinc is required per weight of your dog.
I hope this information is beneficial.
[emoji847][emoji191][emoji252][emoji191][emoji252][emoji274]

https://www.snowdog.guru/correcting-zinc-deficiency-in-huskies/

P.S. Always consult with your Vet first and "don't play doctor" with your own dog. Plus, if your dog is on other medications, zinc & other supplements can interfere causing certain meds to become uneffective. Just my advice.[emoji847]

I wanted to say a special thank you for these articles  -    I've been researching this problem on and off for months  -  these articles have backed up what I've learned and expanded my knowledge.   Whilst Marley showed no signs of zinc deficiency - I've wondered if his epilepsy could have been triggered by a deficiency of some kind.    After reading these I've gone back over my feeding regime looking specifically at zinc and its put my mind at rest that he is getting sufficient natural zinc  (unless he has a malabsorption problem - which I doubt)  -  so now I must continue   looking elsewhere to try and keep my furbaby off the prescribed drugs that even my vet is not too keen to start him on.  Next project is Taurine.

The other reason I am grateful for these articles  is that I was able to show, in print, what I have been saying to hubby for around 12 months and that is to get my boys off the wheat treats he keeps buying from the supermarket.   He has at last agreed not to buy any more  -  and just go with the ones I make.

Lunar was so sick for the first three years of his life that my vet (at the time) said he would not 'make old bones'  and to accept that  -  which was what really started me on my nutrition 'addiction'  -  Lunar has since thrived and is now a very active 13 year old who looks and behaves half his actual age  -  and people are astounded  if they ask his age  -  always guessing he was between 5-8 years old.   The Utonagan's lifespan is between 12-15 years  -  so 13 is not bad for a dog that wasn't tipped to make old bones.  Well done Lunar.

@wolfpup ~ You are very welcome!![emoji847][emoji171]
It's alot of information, but it covers a vast range of what our snow dogs need to be healthy. I'm starting to believe that zinc deficiency is really the key factor that causes many illnesses & symptoms.
I'm happy to hear your MARLEY and LUNAR are doing great!!
Anything to help all our babies!!
[emoji8][emoji191][emoji191][emoji847][emoji274][emoji169]

Mayo has a hot spot on her paw that's healing with the vet's prescription, but another one started up nearby probably from her constant licking. While it's true that the weather has been more humid than usual, I wonder now if she could have zinc deficiency... Does any of you use supplements, and how do you feed it? Would it be easier to feed lozenges for humans (checking ingredients list thoroughly, of course) instead of tablets?

I believe zinc needs other supplements to support it's absorption. I know pet stores make zinc supplements, but I don't know if it's straight zinc, which may not do anything if it doesn't have the added supplements to support the zinc.
I might check with the Vet to see if they could prescribe something, in addition to, what you are already giving your dog.
[emoji847][emoji252][emoji191][emoji171]

I believe zinc needs other supplements to support it's absorption. I know pet stores make zinc supplements, but I don't know if it's straight zinc, which may not do anything if it doesn't have the added supplements to support the zinc.
I might check with the Vet to see if they could prescribe something, in addition to, what you are already giving your dog.
[emoji847][emoji252][emoji191][emoji171]

P.S. I believe the article says on average, a dog 50 pounds should get about 25mg daily whether through food sources or supplementation.

Archived