Sign in to follow this  
nic93

Zinc deficiency not improving with supplements?

Hi guys - my dog Loki was diagnosed with a zinc deficiency. As you may or may not know this is very common in huskies but very few vets are aware of it. I've supplemented my dog with zinc methionine tablets (60mg daily) but his levels haven't improved. Does anyone have any advice on how to improve them? Thank you 

What type of food are you feeding? Some things in foods such as calcium and grains can interfere with zinc absorption so if fed at mealtimes they won’t be absorbing it too well.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

2 hours ago, Emma said:

What type of food are you feeding? Some things in foods such as calcium and grains can interfere with zinc absorption so if fed at mealtimes they won’t be absorbing it too well.

Hi - thank you for replying. I feed him the Aatu 80/20 chicken formulation. Strictly no grain in there but does contain calcium iodate anhydrous. I’m not a chemist so unsure of how this compound could affect zinc absorption! I try to wait an hour at least between feeding him and giving the zinc. 

It is strange because I have seen physical improvements as well as general improvement in his wellbeing. For example he had hyperkeratosis of the paw pads, one of which became very infected and the pad began to lift off. Luckily we managed to save it with hibiscrub paw baths and flamazine cream, and as soon as we began administering zinc, the hyperkeratosis dramatically improved (it has now practically gone). Furthermore his digestion and appetite have improved, and the lesions around his nose are totally gone along with a general improvement in immune health. I am wondering if perhaps the lab sent dud results because of this? His initial reading was a 4 on zinc level (the lower limit of the healthy spectrum for zinc is 16), and his follow up test also indicated a 4. 

I don’t suppose you/anyone else has experience with nutrazinc? Thank you again for the reply :)

• Like 1

Hi, a friend of mine has a year old with zinc deficiency and uses nutrazinc, it took a few weeks to kick in but his fur has grown back and he’s back to himself.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, chelseafan said:

Hi, a friend of mine has a year old with zinc deficiency and uses nutrazinc, it took a few weeks to kick in but his fur has grown back and he’s back to himself.

Thank you! I think I’ll order some in. 

• Like 1

I have used Nurazinc in the past and same takes a few weeks to kick in and then it goes quick...

• Like 1