Hi all, I have a puppy that seems to be too small for his age. He is supposed to be 4 1/2 months. He is about 18lbs and 17” tall. Many people ask me if he is a Pomsky, or even a mini Husky. He got really sick at 2 months old for about 3 weeks so I was wondering if that could have affected his growth! Here are some pics of my fluffy fur baby..

CFE8A7C2-88F1-461C-9437-AE434BA171B6.thumb.jpeg.b234904cb3ea96b56c67425246330ee3.jpegCCD0501B-EC2E-411E-A11A-86CE13C00ED1.thumb.jpeg.39d3aff8f06637e2a8018db2f4c42ae6.jpeg65CAFAE4-F907-4D7E-A668-F89219C1D434.thumb.jpeg.52454832d2d55d54086e771e4c2b1793.jpegABC34498-7D03-48D4-8CFF-3C1BD3EEB156.thumb.jpeg.98ef8bdd4307576fa8d80045f26145c4.jpeg06A66AE7-C6CF-4B40-9400-4686927A650B.thumb.jpeg.28ad4531c1f2bdc8a96f8cdf675f91f6.jpeg

• Like 4

He’s gorgeous!! Did you see the parents? The best person to see about his growth would be the vet, Alaskan Klee Kai’s are smaller than husky’s and some people are breeding miniature Siberian’s, but I couldn’t tell you what your pup is for sure, it’s just his ears look abit on the small side but he’s very handsome.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

• Like 1

He's so cute, what have the vets said with regards to his weight and the health issues? He could just be a late developer , huskies aren't as big as people expect tho

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

Breed standard for males is 21-23.5 inches and if he's only 4 months old he's still got time , does he still have really knobbly knees

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

• Like 2

Oh my, he’s absolutely gorgeous!!

Not all dogs will grow at the same rate and if he’s been poorly for a prolonged period of time then it’s theoretically possible that it’s had a knock on effect of slowing down growth temporarily but I’d think that would depend on the condition and if its affected his absorption of nutrients etc..he may just be on the smaller side of the scale or you may find he suddenly has a huge growth spurt.

• Like 1

Aww, he is gorgeous, handsome, and more gorgeous!! He may be a bit small but has a bunch of growing left to do. My one Husky puppy grew a bunch at 6mths, continued slowly growing, then hit a huge growth spurt (4" taller) at a year & a half.
FEEDING
*Make sure you have him on a "High Protein/High Carb Dry Food for Puppies/Medium Breed" since he's a little behind growing. Look on the back of your dogfood bag for feeding requirements. Puppies need lots of food for all that growing & playing. I fed mine 4Xs a day totaling 5-6cups, plus a few treats. I also gave him a Puppy Multi-vitamin along with a doggy Probiotic.
VET EXAM/STOOL CHECK
*Have you had your Vet give him a good checkup along with having his stool checked for worms?? (Some worms cannot be seen by the human eye and are microscopic. If you see alot of "mucous" in his stool, that's the microscopic kind. Some types you can see. There are 3-4 different kinds of worms. Also, puppies are very susceptible to different parasites and bad bacteria.) If your puppy has worms, he may not have much if an appetite and also have diarrhea, which could effect his growing.
PUPPY SHOTS
*Make sure your puppy gets his shots. If you're unsure if he got his first set of deworming shots, have that given to him again. There are three series of deworming shots at different stages as a puppy. In addition, he needs shots for Bordetella, Parvo, etc.
*WALKING
Only walk your puppy 15-20minutes at a time at his age. Each month, add 5 minutes. So at 5mths old, he should walk no more than 25minutes at a time. Keep tabs of his weight to ensure he doesn't lose weight.
GOOD LUCK with your gorgeous fluffy puppy!! I hope this helps.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Husky Owners mobile app

• Like 1

So answering all the questions: 

I saw his mother which looked about average size, and I saw pictures of the dad that also looked normal. The thing is that I bought him from a backyard breeder which was the biggest mistake ever because they lied about his shots while I was there and after I left they said that he hadn’t taken any shots so I went straight to the vet to make sure he was ok and to get his shots upto date. However, I got him during Christmas so I felt that most of the vets were pretty busy and they didn’t give us the attention that we needed. When he started to get super sick like vomiting, etc, I took him in and the vet took a X-ray instead of a fecal test and send us home instead of take him in. Next day he nearly died from dehydration. I finally found a good vet that got him better from giardia and coccidia. This new vet was concerned about his weight so she prescribed the id canine wet food which he was eating till 2 weeks ago. Now that he is better we changed his diet to raw which I buy from the pet store. He has definitely grown a lot during the last month but still behind of what he is supposed to be. I’m a first time husky owner so I’m not sure what to expect. Thank you for all the feedback so far!!

• Like 2

Thank goodness he pulled through all of that because you saved his precious life!!
I don't know much about raw feeding, but alot of Husky owners here do. I'd definitely give him a puppy multi-vitamin daily. Also, I'd take in a stool sample every month to get checked (because of what he's been through). Why I say that is because my Husky had 3 different types of worms at different times. Also, my other Husky had Giardia and that took awhile to treat as well.
With feeding, just make sure you are feeding lots of protein but also carbs/calories due to being active and growing. Give him a MultiVitamin and a Probiotic daily. Some here give Kefir versus a probiotic.
I think you are doing awesome!! It sounds like you have precious RIO back on track.
Praying everything continues to go great. Stay positive. You have a beautiful baby!!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Husky Owners mobile app

• Like 1

Oh bless him, what a rough start.

If he’s growing now then that’s a good thing. I’d be surprised if he suddenly caught back up in a month as that’s a relatively short period of time. You may find that instead he just takes a little longer to fully develop. Coming from a byb, it may be that he’s not within the breed standard as an adult, I think that would depend on the quality of the parents and his lineage. Possibly there could even be a mix in the breed somewhere along the line but I wouldn’t like to comment on that too much as it’s just hypothetical. But it’s a possibility to consider.

Too rapid bone growth can be a bad thing anyway as that can sometimes lead to poorly formed joints and conditions such as hip dysplasia.

Keep going with what you’re doing as it’s clearly working and a good healthy diet should be all he needs to thrive, nutritionally speaking.

• Like 2

That's one stunning looking pup you have there.    As A&A said above - there are quite a few raw feeders on here  (I am one) so if you ever need any info on feeding  just shout.   Marley (who is a wooly just like Rio) is on the smaller end of the size scale  -  22" and he has finished growing now  -  but at 4  1/2 months old your baby has lots of growing to do  -  and with a raw diet he will thrive.

In addition to two different meats and one fish daily in Marley's daily diet  I also add  1/16 of a teaspoon Spirulina, one teaspoon raw virgin coconut oil for healthy fats, and a half teaspoon of Smart Barf  (mixture of herbs which helps to balance out vitamins & minerals)  they are a UK based company but I suspect you may be in the USA??   I also give one dessert-spoon full of milk kefir.

• Like 2

5a8dbcee3a1dd_HOWelcome.jpg.db1ee822f6276f4fcd44b6ddaf98239f.jpg  to  5a8dbcfaaeb50_HOBanner.thumb.png.3d2fdcb6a2b2a5c94d884c38ed9ebb77.png

• Like 2

Hi! Mika is 4 months and only 21 pounds and 17 inches. The vet just says she’s petite but there is nothing to worry about :)

• Like 3