Huskies with skin disorders?

Morgen

I'm hoping that someone here may have the same  problem as me and can offer me some helpful advice.

Our female husky who will be approaching her 7 year mark with being with us was diagnosed with a skin disorder at almost a year old.

Honestly to me it reminds me of cradle cap and has that peculiar  odor as well. It flakes dead skin everywhere that you have to brush out with a flea comb to dislodge it from the fur. She constantly digs at herself creating hairless spots, red rashes, scabs, and sores to the point that they bleed. Her hair is no longer lush or gains that thick overcoat, it's almost as if it is weakening and not growing back at all.

We have been forced to bathe her almost every week lately in oatmeal baths and head and shoulders shampoo that our vet recommended.

I'm actually quite frustrated with our vet, we have gone back consistently year after year and been told a variety of things. First it was a hormonal imbalance that they said would help if she was spayed. She has been spayed after two litters, none of which have the same disorder as her as I kept all pups with close friends. We still have not seen any difference. Next it was she has a grain allergy, we started a grain free diet that did not work. Upon taking her back they said to switch to Purina Pro Sensitive Stomach with salmon formula, she has been on that for well over a year with no results. She has had tests done for fleas and mites, all of which have came back negative. Next it was anxiety, they recommended Adaptil collars which did seem to give her some slight relief but her skin still was not improving. she is under constant supervision and wears a cone but even that it seems to not help improve her overall condition. They now only give me prednisone for her to take for a few days when I take her in. It does help but only because all she physically does is sleep while on them, I really don't prefer my baby drugged up just to get her skin under control and once she's out its back to the same condition.

Here is the kicker, when she was carrying a litter it was the ONLY time she ever grew her coat lushly as a huskies should be. 

Does any one have a husky with this problem?

I feel she is miserable and that the vets just keep having us come back over and over with no real results for the money. We have invested a little over a few thousand it vet bills to find a solution to just be handed prednisone or a new recommendation that never works.

Please help!

Switch her to Orijen, Acana ,Victor or Taste of Wild add a fish oil supplement and multi Vitiman. Purina dog food isn't good for any dog. Give her plenty of bones also smart bones with Vitiman E in them works wonderfully

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

Have you tried her on a raw diet?    One of my friend's dogs had a similar problem - I finally convinced her to try a raw diet (rather than kibble) and her dog's skin improved by over 75% - she also put high count (15+) manuka honey on the worst patches of skin  (I thought that was a little weird initially)  but she said that it helped massively.

Has your Vet done full blood labs on her??
Have her blood checked for Thyroid Disorders (Hypo/Hyperthyroidism). The thyroid controls so much in the body including their fur/skin, weight, energy, etc. Also, she could have Cushing's Disease, a Zinc Deficiency (ZRD), severe allergies, etc. I don't think we should guess. She really needs a good blood workup first.
All the best to you!![emoji171][emoji120]

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

Archived