New To Forum and Huskies

Letusfallup

Hello!

My name is Amber and I just recently got my first husky Levushka. I have had Chow Chows in the past and decided on a husky because I will be moving out of my parent's house soon and wished to take a companion. However, I'm a bit worried about her at times. I'm taking an internship with a dog trainer to get her trained as a service dog, but, due to school and sports, I don't know if I got her at the wrong time. I have about two more months until school ends and my trainer insists that when I'm not home she should be kenneled. With college I understand this, however, with high school, I HAVE to be gone for 8 hours (plus two hours for track!) even on the days I don't have class (the majority of my schedule is college courses). 

Every day I try to play with her as much as possible yet yesterday she started acting up. Is this because I'm not home enough? Or is this just because she's becoming a little more independent now that she is comfortable in the house? I was hoping that she would use this time to sleep as puppies need a lot of sleep, and my parents are there to take her potty and make sure she has water (I only feed her at 6 am before school and 6 pm when I eat dinner) but... I don't know. She continuously cries in her kennel while I'm gone (she's good as long as I am in the room) and when she plays she bites. Hard. 

Should I do something to make her more independent? Am I not exercising her enough? How can I keep her from biting so hard? I'm afraid my younger siblings will try to play with her and get hurt. 

P1050580.JPG

P1050573.JPG

• Like 2

Hi, gorgeous pup!
Husky’s don’t like to be on their own, they’re very sociable and if left on their own for too long they become bored and destructive.
How old is she? So when you’re not at home is anyone else training her? When your trainer says she should be kennelled, does he mean leaving her outside? Sorry for all the questions but if she’s left outside or even inside kennelled until you get home you may experience behavioural issues with her. Husky’s need regular training and interaction at this stage and especially as she’s starting to bite.
As for walking, the rule of thumb is 5 mins per month of age, so at 3 months you can walk her for 15 mins, but you can do this a few times a day. Husky’s aren’t the type of dog you can leave for long periods at a time, they will howl but they may also suffer with Separation Anxiety, they may urinate, poop, howl, dig, try to escape, generally show signs of distress. Teaching her not to bite can take a while, all pups need something to chew on when they’re teething, try giving her a frozen carrot, it will soothe her gums. Good luck with training.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, chelseafan said:

Hi, gorgeous pup!
Husky’s don’t like to be on their own, they’re very sociable and if left on their own for too long they become bored and destructive.
How old is she? So when you’re not at home is anyone else training her? When your trainer says she should be kennelled, does he mean leaving her outside? Sorry for all the questions but if she’s left outside or even inside kennelled until you get home you may experience behavioural issues with her. Husky’s need regular training and interaction at this stage and especially as she’s starting to bite.
As for walking, the rule of thumb is 5 mins per month of age, so at 3 months you can walk her for 15 mins, but you can do this a few times a day. Husky’s aren’t the type of dog you can leave for long periods at a time, they will howl but they may also suffer with Separation Anxiety, they may urinate, poop, howl, dig, try to escape, generally show signs of distress. Teaching her not to bite can take a while, all pups need something to chew on when they’re teething, try giving her a frozen carrot, it will soothe her gums. Good luck with training.

She is currently about 12 weeks old. She gets trained sometimes when I am away (the trainer is good friends with my parents and interacts with her be it I'm there or not). She is kenneled inside until she is housebroken, and from then she will either be inside, outside with a dog house and fence, or left to roam and play with the other dog. She chews on anything that fits in her mouth at this point. Can't leave her alone for even a second before pulling something out of her mouth haha. With this training I'm hoping that I'll be able to get her certified and be able to take her to classes with me in college, but if they decide that, because I don't need her (I have no medical reason, I'll be pulling and education card), I can't how do I train her to be home for a couple hours without getting so bored? 

Typical 3 month old, everything in her mouth! I think she’s too young to be left alone for hours on end, it’s important you bond with her at this age as it makes a difference to training, playing with her, brushing her fur(a rake) are ways to bond, it’s part of building trust between you. It took me months before I could leave my 2 for an hour, start by leaving her for a few minutes and build the time up slowly, it’s the only way to do it so there’s less chance of her developing separation anxiety. There are no quick fixes for training, it needs to be consistent, positive reinforced works best and lots of praise when she gets it right. I can’t really give any answers for training her not to be bored when she’s on her own, as she’s so young she really needs interaction, she’s just like a baby at the moment. Hope it works out for you [emoji3]

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

She is gorgeous!! Like@chelseafan said above, you can't just leave a very young puppy for 8hours. She is truly like a newborn baby, which she needs worked with throughout the day. Puppies do need their naps, but they are not going to sleep 8hours while you're gone in addition to night time sleeping.
She really needs to be with someone who is with her a lot more and not gone so much. You could see if your parents want to keep her along with the other dog. That way her home base would be at your parents, but she could still be your dog.
I think you said you have no medical issues but want her certified so that she can go to college attending classes with you. You should definitely check with the college now while you are in high school to see if you will be able to take her to college while no medicals issues with you.
It will immensely be tons of work while you are in H.S. Yes, Huskies are independent but not independent to constantly be left alone the entire day. Your puppy has lots of needs and just too young to be on her own like this. Are your parents willing to train & work with her constantly?? What kind of "certification" are you training her for??
Have you taken her to the Vet for her first exam, deworming shots, etc.
Puppies need lots of puppy food and lots of water. The amount of puppy food given should be stated in the back if the dogfood bag. You want to make sure she's not "under" feed.
There are so many things required & needed to raise a healthy, fulfilled & happy puppy for the rest of it's life (12-15yrs old).
It sounds like you have a pretty busy schedule. Do you have the time to take care of this beautiful girl??
All the best of luck to you!![emoji847][emoji252][emoji191][emoji171]

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

She is beautiful. Eight hours a day is a long time for a puppy to be alone. The whining in the kennel could be for going outside or she wants attention. Huskies are hard headed but they usually only whine if they really need something. If you get home around 6 pm at night make a good hour to play with her alone before you go to school get up earlier and play with her take her out. That will help. Two hours a day for a none working husky is plenty of play time. Make sure to train her.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ARMANI & ALINAH said:

She is gorgeous!! Like@chelseafan said above, you can't just leave a very young puppy for 8hours. She is truly like a newborn baby, which she needs worked with throughout the day. Puppies do need their naps, but they are not going to sleep 8hours while you're gone in addition to night time sleeping.
She really needs to be with someone who is with her a lot more and not gone so much. You could see if your parents want to keep her along with the other dog. That way her home base would be at your parents, but she could still be your dog.
I think you said you have no medical issues but want her certified so that she can go to college attending classes with you. You should definitely check with the college now while you are in high school to see if you will be able to take her to college while no medicals issues with you.
It will immensely be tons of work while you are in H.S. Yes, Huskies are independent but not independent to constantly be left alone the entire day. Your puppy has lots of needs and just too young to be on her own like this. Are your parents willing to train & work with her constantly?? What kind of "certification" are you training her for??
Have you taken her to the Vet for her first exam, deworming shots, etc.
Puppies need lots of puppy food and lots of water. The amount of puppy food given should be stated in the back if the dogfood bag. You want to make sure she's not "under" feed.
There are so many things required & needed to raise a healthy, fulfilled & happy puppy for the rest of it's life (12-15yrs old).
It sounds like you have a pretty busy schedule. Do you have the time to take care of this beautiful girl??
All the best of luck to you!!emoji847.pngemoji252.pngemoji191.pngemoji171.png

Yes, my parents let her out for a good portion of the time that I am away, just not all of it. I have also talked to my track coach and she is considering letting me bring her up to practice with me so that she can interact with the other kids. I will be certifying her to be a Medical Alert Dog (going to medical school for surgery and would like to have her as a 'helper'). The back of the bag says for her age group to give her 1 1/2 - 2 cups, so I give her one cup in the morning and one at night. She also has a tendency to get into the older dog's bowl when the older one isn't looking. She has gotten her first round of shots, but not her deworming ones yet. She will be getting those soon! :)

15 hours ago, Markie said:

She is beautiful. Eight hours a day is a long time for a puppy to be alone. The whining in the kennel could be for going outside or she wants attention. Huskies are hard headed but they usually only whine if they really need something. If you get home around 6 pm at night make a good hour to play with her alone before you go to school get up earlier and play with her take her out. That will help. Two hours a day for a none working husky is plenty of play time. Make sure to train her.

Of course, thank you! :)

• Like 1