How to cope with separation anxiety in huskies.

Hashiyan

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Kitten:D ~ I live in USA. Veterinarians in the USA go to College/Grad School and Vetenarian School for 8-10years to practice Veterinary Medicine...they help animals, reptiles, etc.
USA Vets absolutely do "not" recommend shock collars, e collars, remote control collars, electric shock collars, fear inducing collars, etc., and they want them banned. Your Vet must not care much for the well-being of animals.
I honestly thought you would have cooled down by now...but maybe the Shock K9 Collar you tried on yourself zapped you and caused you to became aggressive or gone mad?? I don't know. Hey, have you tried the shock collar on yourself at the highest setting?? Does it hurt??
I highly doubt you called 300 Vets because none of them work on Sundays.
Last question: Do you work for this Shock K9 Collar company from home??
Lastly, you brag that you don't have to work, say you've never shocked fear into your dog or yourself. But why do only working people have to shock their dogs?? And if you are fortunate to not have to work, then you do not have to shock dogs. Please stop promoting these Electric Chair Collars. This debate from you is discombobulated.🤪

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

1 minute ago, ARMANI & ALINAH said:

@Kitten:D ~ I live in USA. Veterinarians in the USA go to College/Grad School and Vetenarian School for 8-10years to practice Veterinary Medicine...they help animals, reptiles, etc.
USA Vets absolutely do "not" recommend shock collars, e collars, remote control collars, electric shock collars, fear inducing collars, etc., and they want them banned. Your Vet must not care much for the well-being of animals.
I honestly thought you would have cooled down by now...but maybe the Shock K9 Collar you tried on yourself zapped you and caused you to became aggressive or gone mad?? I don't know. Hey, have you tried the shock collar on yourself at the highest setting?? Does it hurt??
I highly doubt you called 300 Vets because none of them work on Sundays.
Last question: Do you work for this Shock K9 Collar company from home??
Lastly, you brag that you don't have to work, say you've never shocked fear into your dog or yourself. But why do only working people have to shock their dogs?? And if you are fortunate to not have to work, then you do not have to shock dogs. Please stop promoting these Electric Chair Collars. This debate from you is discombobulated.🤪

KittenD cannot answer you back Angie...

Hi guys I am back with bad news. My dog who has had n opeoblem with cats before almost attacked my male cat. I was lucky I was in room with door open or else my cat would be gone. I don't know what happened, I know my cats do not like her but will stay away from her. She gets along with her cousin (a cat) and will play with him. But with our cat she almost mauled/ attacked him. I had to run and pull her back before she did anything. I don't know where she learned the behavior from as we do not hit or anything like that. We spray her if she acts bad, could that be why? Is she stressed? I know if I tell my mother she will send her away instantly. We've had two of our cats for 12 years and one for 4 years. Her trainer won't be in town for awhile so he isn't able to answer calls either. I don't want her to attack the cats, but I also don't want her to be locked up in the kennel. Could she be jealous that I give the cats affection? I'm confused as to why she would do something like that. She gets exercise and goes to daycare at least 5 days for 8 or more hours so I don't think she is bored. And when she's home she does get tons of exercise. I was in my room folding laundry when it happened.Please help me. Thank you.

Sorry this has happened, it has nothing to do with jealousy or how many walks a day they have, husky’s have a high prey drive so a cat would be considered as prey even if they’ve got on ok for months or even years. Is it possible for you to make a safe area for your cats?

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Why do you spray her when you say she acts bad? Training is the only way to teach behaviours that you want in your dog, it is time consuming but it works! what will she learn from spraying her, it’s a lazy way of teaching her not to do something and in my opinion it’s cruel.

has all got to do with pray drive...Mine if they see a cat a mile away I am walking a lot quicker there is nothing else they want to do but have a go at that cat... they do the same with rabbits, mice and all other small animal..

She is trained as well, and is also in the middle of training course 2 but sometimes she won't listen because she it stubborn. She's a chewer and I told her to leave it once when she was chewing wood off the table leg but she wouldn't listen so I sprayed her and she stopped. Sometimes she'll listen and other times she won't. 

I just noticed something that could be the answer. I wa sitting on the couch with my dog and I hear one of my cats run down the stairs and the next thing I know she flys off and hades after him. It looked like he was going to get food. I think she might be food aggressive. Or possessive of her food. The cats did eat from her bowl sometimes but I always shoo them off because. They always get sick due to how different their foods are. Could this be why??? It just happened a minute or so ago. The cat is fine, he ran under the couch. 

Yep! My Dakota chased after my cousins pet rabbit. Even though I had told my cousin not to bring her rabbit here before. 🤦🏻‍♂️

7 hours ago, robke said:

has all got to do with pray drive...Mine if they see a cat a mile away I am walking a lot quicker there is nothing else they want to do but have a go at that cat... they do the same with rabbits, mice and all other small animal..

Oh. Dear. Hashiyan I can only give my opinion and that is you have taken on a dog who is not suitable for you. The time to take on a particular breed of dog is after you’ve done some homework on the ins and outs of the breed so that you know as much as you can about their behaviours, requirements and how easy/difficult they are to train. You have chosen, almost certainly with the best of intentions, a complex dog without understanding about her needs. Now I can relate to this because I rehomed a husky too, Luna is 6 though and has had some training. I had her two days and panicked when I read up on huskies and I was ready to move her on, for her sake not mine! I’ve stuck with it though because I don’t work and I felt I owed it to her. She suffered with separation anxiety too, fortunately she wasn’t destructive apart from the enlargement she made of the cat flap lol. Six months on and the separation issue is resolved, I read up on how to fix it and was given advice here too. She no longer frets to the same extent mostly I think because she can access the outside secure area via the dog flap. Like your dog Luna was taken from her home of six years and her companion and brought many miles to our home where we have 2 cats. Even after 6 months she is still settling in, I constantly feel bad for her because I think she must feel abandoned even though we love her lots.

I think you really ought to do some googling to bone up on how to help her and watch as many videos as you can that show how to handle her and the basics of training, she needs your help and understanding, a set routine, good food, her own corner that is exclusively hers (the crate would be fine, I draped ours with a blanket) and you need to try to ensure that your cats are never compromised and always have an escape route. If you can’t commit then for your dogs sake you need to reconsider whether or not she should stay, an unhappy stressed dog will never make a good pet or a happy, calm owner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I put a blanket over her cage if she's  in it, I noticed she only gets defensive over food. As the cats had eaten all her food. I noticed her chase him the other day but realized she was actually running to her food bowl to protect it. I am feeding her in a seperate room from now on. 

Maybe you can keep the cats in your bedroom with food/water and the door shut for a few hours to give them a breather while you do training with your dog. A good daily schedule will help your dog and your cats, and hopefully things will fall into place. Just remember the prey drive/instinct doesn't go away esp with Huskies so never let your guard down or trust that your dog won't try to get the cats.
Practice makes perfect. Good luck!![emoji847][emoji252][emoji191]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Husky Owners mobile app

I think people confuse a dog wanting attention with a dog that has separation anxiety. Separation Anxiety is a very rare thing in huskies as they don't need us. She might not like you leaving the room but that doesn't mean she has separation anxiety. I would just leave the room and ignore her. Could you imagine if I went back to all eleven of my huskies Everytime they whined and called it separation anxiety. Get her a good toy or toys change them out daily add a treat and ignore her

I think people confuse a dog wanting attention with a dog that has separation anxiety. Separation Anxiety is a very rare thing in huskies as they don't need us. She might not like you leaving the room but that doesn't mean she has separation anxiety. I would just leave the room and ignore her. Could you imagine if I went back to all eleven of my huskies Everytime they whined and called it separation anxiety. Get her a good toy or toys change them out daily add a treat and ignore her

Sometimes maybe but not all the time. My mixed breed Bear had terrible separation anxiety for almost a year. It would start when we began to get up. She’d start pacing the house, panting and in the end drooling a bit too. When we left (even for a very short period ) she’d poop a lot, Tare up anything she could find and be exhausted by the stress. It took months of work to help her overcome it but eventually she did and now she’s relaxed when we leave and content in herself. [emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

Markle, my husky has no idea how to play with toys. I’ve tried tugs, balls, things you throw and a toy to hide treats in, she takes no interest at all. She will run after a ball but when she reaches it, she leaves it. The only toy she played with was one that squeaked and I read that it’s not a good idea for a husky to play with squeaky toys for obvious reasons. She won’t engage at all, any tips? She’s 6 and I’m assuming previous owners never engaged in playing with her.

Cai used to run after a ball and then just walk away, it’s taken me nearly 6 months to teach him to bring it back. I’ve managed to find a tennis ball that’s inside a bigger heavy duty rubber ball. I say to Cai, ‘where’s the ball’ he will find it and bring it to me with his tail wagging woo wooing with the ball in his mouth, I throw it and I say ‘bring it back’ and he does, every time, he loves to play this game, very often he brings the ball in woo wooing, which means come on I want to play! When I throw the ball for Luka he gets it and runs off with it.

Markle, my husky has no idea how to play with toys. I’ve tried tugs, balls, things you throw and a toy to hide treats in, she takes no interest at all. She will run after a ball but when she reaches it, she leaves it. The only toy she played with was one that squeaked and I read that it’s not a good idea for a husky to play with squeaky toys for obvious reasons. She won’t engage at all, any tips? She’s 6 and I’m assuming previous owners never engaged in playing with her.

Leave her alone and walk away or take your leash put it on her and run her. The objective is to make them tired. If she doesn't want to play with a toy oh well at least she is tired and wore out [emoji16]

@Luna-tic ~ You said LUNA likes the squeeky toys. I would go ahead & get some squeeky toys for her...they may have been the only kind of toys she had in her previous life. I know the toys mimic animals, but that would be great to introduce her back to them to help bring out that playfulness in her. I'd also get a 2-3ft doggy rope to give her. You can drag the rope and hopefully she'll chase it.
When I play with my two dogs, I get all excitable on purpose and that gets them so fired up!! I'll run and they chase me. We don't always use toys. But however you play with her, try to "get into the game" with her. She may be age6, but she's got tons of puppy play in her.
[emoji171][emoji191][emoji252][emoji847]

Sometimes maybe but not all the time. My mixed breed Bear had terrible separation anxiety for almost a year. It would start when we began to get up. She’d start pacing the house, panting and in the end drooling a bit too. When we left (even for a very short period ) she’d poop a lot, Tare up anything she could find and be exhausted by the stress. It took months of work to help her overcome it but eventually she did and now she’s relaxed when we leave and content in herself. [emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app
I said rare not that it doesn't happen. It's a very rare thing in Siberian Huskies to have separation anxiety. They usually just want our attention. I have three rescued huskies from bad circumstances and they don't seem to care to much at all. [emoji6]

20 hours ago, Markie said:

She does have it. I've given her toys and kong ones as well but she'll scratch at the door which is why I take her to daycare with me now. If she isn't in group with me either she will scream and howl even if I'm in the group 2. My trainer has told us to ignore her as well when she acts like that at home, but it'll take time till she eventually learns. She starts another training class later this March. 

20 hours ago, ARMANI & ALINAH said:

Maybe you can keep the cats in your bedroom with food/water and the door shut for a few hours to give them a breather while you do training with your dog. A good daily schedule will help your dog and your cats, and hopefully things will fall into place. Just remember the prey drive/instinct doesn't go away esp with Huskies so never let your guard down or trust that your dog won't try to get the cats.
Practice makes perfect. Good luck!!emoji847.pngemoji252.pngemoji191.png

Yep! I make Dakota come with me to daycare so she can play at least 5 days a week for 5-8 hours. When she comes home she's drained. Helps a lot with the cats. She still has a new training class coming up.

Archived