How to cope with separation anxiety in huskies.

Hashiyan

My husky mix Dakota has severe separation anxiety. It is so bad that even if I leave my room for 1 min she will start howling and crying. I tried a thunder vest/ shirt but it didn't seem to work for her so I gave it back to my other dog. I left to shower for 5 mins and could hear her all the way from upstairs. I work at a doggy daycare facility and she comes to work with me but cannot play due to her heat. We where supposed to get her fixed when she got here but got her heat right when she got here so we have to wait till April. But I could hear her crying and howling from the back building (separate buildings) at work. I felt so bad for my coworkers. She just turned 1 in January. Any ideas? My trainer's thoughts haven't worked so far. She gets a 1 hr walk and 30 mins in the back yard in the morning, afternoon and night time. If we're at work she play individually with my coworkers. So I do not think she wants to play outside still. Please help, I love my girl and don't want to have to get rid of her because of her anxiety. I know her original owners said they would take her back if we had any problems but I really care for her and want to make things work out for her, rather than have her be put back in a cubbie for most of her life.

IMG_7778.JPG

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, there’s no easy fix for this, it’s a case of working towards leaving her for short periods of time, one of mine used to howl and whine as a pup if I went to the loo, shower, put washing away literally anything I’d do where I’d be out of his eyeline. As he got older and he’d built up his trust in us he settled down. Was this an issue with her previous owner? Is there anywhere in work she could be so that she can see you?

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

It sounds as if her previous owners left her for long periods on her own by what you say.   This is going to take some time to put right  -  and a lot of work and patience on your part.   If your current trainer appears unsuccessful  -  try a different trainer.      Marley still has mild separation anxiety  -  but he has Lunar to keep him company and I believe it really helps them to have another dog for company.    Marley still comes upstairs if I go up - and sits and whimpers on the top step if he cannot see me  (I have a child gate at the top so the cats get some peace  -  upstairs is their territory during the day).   I've just got used to him following me everywhere  -  yet he will happily go into the garden and stay on his own for ages  -  when it is on his terms.

It may be hard for the next 6 weeks or so until she can be spayed, but after that she will be able to mix with the other dogs and possibly stay closer to you until she gets more confident that you are not going to leave her and that if you do have to leave her that you will be coming back shortly.   

Is there any way that you can keep her separate but still be able to see you  -  say with a child gate - so she can be in one room whilst you are in the next?     This is how I started with Marley, I would go into the hallway leaving him in the lounge for a minute at a time, he could still see me, but couldn't get to me.    I gradually lengthened the time up to 5 minutes  -  plenty of fusses and praise and the occasional treat helped no end.  Then I would go into the kitchen for 10 seconds out of sight but came back into view before he got anxious - gradually building up the time over the next couple of months.     

Time and patience - it will take plenty of both  - but her trust will build.

Her previous owners said she got attached to her owner, and she was kept in a cubbie and tied to a chain outside for her bathroom breaks. They didn't want her because she was too small to be a sled dog. I also have a child gate but she jumps over it. My mom gets annoyed because of her howling while I'm gone, and she had also bitten the entire left side of the door frame off. And I agree, my pup loves being in the backyard for a long time, just running around and sniffing.

Please dont use a shock collar, SA is stressful enough for the poor dog I would imagine a collar would make it worse, if he thinks when you leave he is going to get a shock ( or vibrate even!!)

Hi! I am so sorry you are dealing with this. My older Siberian Husky, Timber, has severe separation anxiety, broke his canines (top) when he tried to escape boarding places and our dog run. So I know what you are going through! Luckily for us, I do school online and the person who works in our household works a high pay job 3 times a week. What we did was build him a dog run (with top, concrete floor, and chainlink held to the bottom rail w hose clamps) we later added a 100 deck that keeps him from chewing a cable that runs through the bottom to the rail pole and solved the problem of him chewing wires and pull fence panels. He paces, whine/howls and chews. He had chewed my couch when left in a crate while errands (we don't leave him 8 hours old owners did and he was okay but always alone so he attached himself to us hard and wasn't used to being alone and also had a dog friend) and harness and pulled a long leash in n ate it to little pieces. Oh and 700 for removing his teeth. Next, we got him a Siberian Husky puppy female for companionship when left alone (he is fixed and no we aren't breeding don't ask for puppies lol) spent close to a grand on her (so what was a free purebred male was now expensive money eater lol). She helped him so much! But but not all situations work. They first must get bonded (took a couple months) and slowly work your way up to time. We just began training with this ( I am doing the training) and here is what I do. Buy yourself a walmart vest harness (don't need a 50 dollar thunder vest) Thunderspray calming DAP spray for the vest, and ace or what we use is Vermont's Herbal Calm. We take them out there with a security camera, if not battery operated use a battery pack for phones we use YI camera with that, cheaper than battery operated ones that are 500. Just use a tub for water protection if you get nonoutdoor model like I do. 
  Work your way up to the desired time. Mine is 4 hours after that, SA usually dissolves. Go week by week. So week one if they freak at 20 minutes, stay at that time and keep working till solid. Mine was 30 mins start within a week and a half he is at two hours with solid reliability so I know 2 hours he will be fine any day any time. He can do more probably but I am not too worried about his training at this point. 
Also, Solidk9training can help if you live in RH. I don't though. They can fix it in 2 weeks. Id buy a Mini Educator Shock collar. Sounds mean but like a tens unit. I never bought one since he is attached to the puppy and don't mind as much used to freak out and pace at a minute too, and didn't need them to stay alone for long times daily. Also, the pup corrects the behavior similar to a shock collar, if he is getting worked up she bites his face like stop why you care if they went stop it. Fixes him if he forgets. Use shock collar to correct chewing, pacing and howling. Will learn calm is what you need to do. Snaps them out of it. Go to youtube look up Solidk9training Separation Anxiety he has a video on using shock collars for this use and his other videos he has advises clients via Skype for free they are there.
Thanks. I hope that it fixed quickly. Heart is with you just a rundown. Can provide detailed plan for you if more info. Also it may be a short phase, as 8 months to a year and a few months, SA can show up for a little bit mainly goes away.
Bye loves!
Have her acclimated to a crate but make sure she aint chewing her cage!!!! ALSO kongs work well for building time make sure to get before done and they will work up from a minute.

Shock collars are disgusting they have been banned in my country and many others. Training a dog by implementing fear and pain is not training at all, it's bullying and one day the dog will snap. Of course huskies howl, all dogs bark or howl, if you don't like the noise get a goldfish. And pacing is caused by Boredom and/or stress, give them something to do or take away whatever it is stressing them out, don't shock them for doing it! And you think a shock collar is good for helping seperation anxiety?! How on earth does shocking your dog stop anxiety! Jesus Christ

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

Please, NO shock collars EVER. Your dog is already going to be scared with original owners just getting "rid" of her. She has to adjust to everything "new" again but now as an adult. A shock collar would truly ruin this beautiful dog.
@Kitten:D ~ Shock collars are the worst thing to do ever. I have worked with Military K-9s, and they do not use shock collars. Sorry, but that advice would destroy this beautiful dog's heart & soul.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

I wasn't attacking you @Kitten:D. If you've tried the shock collar on yourself and said it feels good, then that's great. But a dog doesn't understand what a shock collar is, and they definitely cause fear... that's what it's used for to cause fear in order to stop their behaviors...that's the point. I mean, think about it. Everything we do is teaching dogs. Honestly, the Special Forces' K-9s were never shocked or at least the Air Force Base I worked at for 22years.
If there is any good that comes with shock collars, then I do not know or want to know.
I didn't mean to be harsh. This is just my opinion, not an attack.
(What I don't know won't hurt me.)
Have a great day.[emoji847]

P.S. Your other advice is good.

We recently left my pup alone for an hour while we went somewhere. We came back and she chewed the doorknob so we could not get in at first. She peed and pooped on the bed, and chewed on my trash bin. She went on an hour walk/30 mins outside before we left and she did poop and pee more than once. We left her water but only a bit of food. I have yet to contact her trainer (my boss) she recently started over drinking so we would take her outside. My mother wasn't mad about the whole thing as she knows my dog is in the middle of being trained. But in the two months I hope she will be able to learn better as I do not want to send her back to where she originally came from.

I couldn’t leave mine for an hour alone till they were nearly a year old, I built the time up slowly so SA wouldn’t become an issue as they’re older. They become destructive when bored or left alone for too long, husky’s like to be with you and it can be frustrating in the early stages of training but putting the time in now means you’ll have the behaviours you want in the adult dog.

9 hours ago, Kitten:D said:

It aint mean at all. IF not fixed in a working home dog could be placed in kill shelter thats MEAN!!! I AM TRYING TO HELP IT FIXES IT FAST WATCH THE VIDEO

No need to shout at me....   e-collars and anything e is mean imo and I do not need to watch a video for me to know that... it just need patience and training and reading up on the fact that huskies have sa...but they are not the only dog that have it. commit to the pup as you would commit to your kids otherwise do not have a pup...

as an owner of rescue dogs and only rescue dogs do not talk to me about kill shelters. Kill shelters would not be needed if dumb people did not breed dogs for money only in their back yard and if others did not want dumb designer dogs like pomsky's etc. and pay a heck of a lot of money for it..same as people getting rid of their dog because of age of the dog or illness.... 

sorry if i offend people i open minded in dog training hearts [emoji4]
Yeah duh. Its for keeping the dog w SA as last resort instead of rehoming which is cruel. I dont train my dogs that way i do postive only. But if I had to work then Id do what i had to keep the dog 

If you do positive training yourself then surely that’s what you’d recommend, it doesn’t make sense to recommend a lazy way to train a dog by instilling fear and creating an anxious aggressive dog. If people aren’t prepared to work through issues, such as SA anxiety, then IMO they shouldn’t have a dog that requires time and patience. A behaviourist would be the next step for help and support.

@Hashiyan ~ No need to get rid of your beautiful puppy. They cannot help it and just want you to be with them. If they are alone, separation anxiety sets in and the destruction. If you know someone who has a big doggy crate/cage, get one while you leave for an hour or so. Puppies being in a crate will keep your house safe and the safety of your puppy. Along with training, just take puppy steps. All the best to you and your new puppy.
[emoji847][emoji252][emoji191][emoji274]

6 minutes ago, Hashiyan said:

Alright thank you @ARMANI & ALINAH we are getting a large crate for her today. We just hope she doesn't break it open. 

while you are shopping anyways get some cable ties to strengthen the sides of the crate...so these cannot be pushed out...

Yes, cable ties are important. Thanks@Robke. Also, if you are going to be gone during the day, doggy daycares can be a great option. I never have taken my two to a daycare, but I've heard some positive things. Then your puppy could play with other pups. You would have to have your pup updated on all vaccines. Just another option for times you may have to be gone during the day.
Congrats when you get your crate...and cable ties!!
[emoji847][emoji252][emoji191][emoji274]

sorry if i offend people i open minded in dog training hearts [emoji4]
Yeah duh. Its for keeping the dog w SA as last resort instead of rehoming which is cruel. I dont train my dogs that way i do postive only. But if I had to work then Id do what i had to keep the dog 

I do know what I'm talking about thank you very much, they are banned in Wales and the RSPCA are campaigning to get them banned in England too at the moment. I work with dogs and I'm fully aware of how they work

well if you would have called vets in my country they would have said...sorry but they are banned here in our country because fear training does not work...

you do not know me but you can call me narrow minded...now that is a bold statement to make...

1 minute ago, Kitten:D said:

Becuase you are. Our vets are more qualified and do to school longer. And i called some in Europe  

because *

ok it is good to know that you know me well then... want to know which vets you called in the Netherlands ...

Archived