Shaving

Ace12

Shaving a husky is not for the dogs benefit. Some people wrongly believe that shaving them in hotter climates keeps them Cooler but it’s not actually the case. As mentioned their double coat acts in a similar way to double glazed windows. It keeps the cold out and also the heat. Additionally they stand a real risk of sunburn being shaved.

Sometimes it’s necessary for medical reasons like if they’re being spayed but otherwise it’s a definite no no.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

I've heard of huskies dying with heat stroke after being shaved  -  their coat is both their heating and cooling system.  imho it amounts to abuse (through ignorance - not intentional).   If you are worried about the heat - take your dog out earlier in the day or in the evening - but please do not shave.

Yeah, I know husky's are not supposed to be shaved and that their double coat protects them. It's just that I hear from people around talking how husky's should be shaved cause they are gonna be extremly hot under their coat in the summer. 
I'm not going to shave mine, just to clarify that! :lol: 
Thanks for all the response tho D:

• 1 year later...
4 minutes ago, Apollo The Siberian Husky said:

My vet told me to really consider shaving my siberian husky apollo. Last summer when we first adopted him he was extremely hot and always panting and sleep all day.  She says that it would really be good for him are you sure you shouldn't shave.

Yes we are sure do NOT shave. Brush every day make sure there is shade and fresh water for your pup but for goodness sake don’t shave a double coated dog..your vet needs to go back to school or find something else to do for work...  double coated dogs you only shave in a medical emergency for an operation....

Not all vets know about husky’s needs, they’re not a regular dog so advice given, even from a professional isn’t always correct, we assume it is because they’re supposed to know answers to our questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Archived