Siberian Husky puppy, fatten up

Terek

Hello everyone, I’m new to this forum and would like y’all to meet my husky I adopted. He’s 9 weeks and his name is Wolfie. Very active and sweet boy. (Not at times when he bites though lol) we recently got him check at the vet for his 2nd vaccine. He has some hookworms but I’ve been giving him his 3 day period medicine. Anyway on the the diet part. My vet said that he is underweight. He is 12.5 pounds and needs to gain bit more then that. Please if anyone has any suggestion how to fatten him up. I haven’t tried this but I was thinking to mix his Core wellness puppy formula with a Hard Boild Egg. Please let me know thanks.

52168EEF-B7CC-430B-88FB-3BFEBB0A80F0.jpeg

Definitely, increase his puppy food intake (double what he's eating) or add 2 more meals per day (about 4-5cups of food per day). Then as he gets about 16wks old, again increase his food to (about 5-6cups daily). Puppies need lots of food (puppy high protein/high calorie food) for their growing little bodies. Most puppy foods contain a high protein/high calorie blend due to quickly growing.)
*Always have lots of water available.
*You can add a Puppy MultiVitamin daily per his weight (optional) ... half a tablet is standard I believe at that age.
*In addition, don't walk your puppy much at this very young age and because he's underweight. Per members here, a good guideline for walking puppies is:
**(Only walk puppies 5minutes per 1-month of age...then increase to 10minutes per 2-months of age, etc.)
Your little WOLFIE baby is beautiful!! I just love his mask!!
[emoji252][emoji847][emoji252] WELCOME ABOARD [emoji252][emoji847][emoji252]

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

I feed him every 4 hours. I feed him every 3 hours. I just tried today to give him 2 boiled eggs mixed with his core wellness puppy pellet. He ate the 2 boiled eggs and ate little of his dog food. My vet did say he is losing weight due to the worms. So you are right. But what if sometimes he just doesn’t want to eat for a while? Do I just leave his food there until he eats it? I mean I’ve been giving him as well his dog medicine every once a day for the hook worms. But he’s not eating as much as I want him still. I’ll weight him later today since he ate those boiled eggs and let y’all know. Also thanks for letting me know about him going outside. I take him for like 17 minutes every 4 hours so maybe that’s why he’s losing weight. From running a lot. I’ll cut back taking him outside to 5 minutes. My main goal really is to fatten him. 

11 hours ago, BingBlaze n Skyla said:

How often are you feeding him? It could be because of the worms that he's underweight

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

feed him every 4 hours. I feed him every 3 hours. I just tried today to give him 2 boiled eggs mixed with his core wellness puppy pellet. He ate the 2 boiled eggs and ate little of his dog food. My vet did say he is losing weight due to the worms. So you are right. But what if sometimes he just doesn’t want to eat for a while? Do I just leave his food there until he eats it? I mean I’ve been giving him as well his dog medicine every once a day for the hook worms. But he’s not eating as much as I want him still. I’ll weight him later today since he ate those boiled eggs and let y’all know. Also thanks for letting me know about him going outside. I take him for like 17 minutes every 4 hours so maybe that’s why he’s losing weight. From running a lot. I’ll cut back taking him outside to 5 minutes. My main goal really is to fatten him. 

Firstly, the worms need to be completely removed before any substantial weight gain will happen. Currently the food is acting a source for them to thrive rather than the dog. Once they’re gone then it should be a naturally occurring process of some weight gain.

Don’t overfeed as this can cause runny poop which will also result in weight loss. just take it slowly and check your manufacturers guidelines on the packet of dog food to see how much you need to feed over the course of the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

I agree with Emma. I always fed mine 2 cups per day period. Any more and mine would have runny poop. I think after the worms are gone he will gain weight

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Archived