Help with Siberian in a lot of pain

ironkilla88

Good day guys and gals...

I am in need of some help from the more experienced.

I have a Siberian Husky that has some major pain where it looks like is his back or hind legs

He is 6 years old and the other day he flipped out in what I can only described and some screaming for their life, he even bit my wife of the amount of pain he was in. He could not walk, rolling on the ground and screaming (I though he was going to die from this agony and suffering) .

I had to take him to the ER, they gave him 2 shots of morphing to control the pain. Did 2 X-Rays and couldn’t find anything.

They finally sent me home with the prescription drugs of..Gabapentin 100mg, Tramadol 50mg and Prednisone 10 mg.

He has progressed compared to the first 2 days but it looks like he has not gotten any better after the 2-3 days. Its been about 7 days since this happen.

He still cries, no major flair ups , has a very hard time getting up or flipping up from his side when resting. I am running out of medications and they want me to take him in but he is in no conditions to get in a vehicle, he has a hard time for everything.

Could anyone help with this ? The recommendation was some MRIs but unfortunately for my dog I am not financially able to pay for such a bill.

Please any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What did they xray? Have they checked over his tail and spine too? Not just his legs/hips did they check for bug/snake bites? Check his paws?

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

They x ray his lower body, they did not show us his x rays. Paws are good and I can almost assure you no snake bites or bugs( I watch him very carefully when on walks) He is an inside dog, not that it couldn’t have happen while in a walk.
For what I can see in him might be joint, nerve related as for what the Vet said as well.
He has a very hard time getting up and walking.

Could be arthritis, I would get a second opinion

The recommended an MRI but as of now financially cant afford it. They said that is most likely what it could be for what the doctor said. I just need to know if there is anything I can give him that can help him. Other than prescribed drugs

I would call your Vet and ask for refills on the medications already given. You want to maintain pain control so no suffering.
Then, I would ask your Vet how to transport your dog safely to them while medicated. (For example, put a muzzle on him to prevent biting...since pain is so severe. Have 2 people carry him carefully & lay him on car seat. Once at Vet, call the techs to come outside to transport him inside.)
Because this happened "suddenly" and screaming, I don't think it's Arthritis. It could have been a Grand Mal Seizure, in turn, causing a spinal cord injury. But definitely sounds nerve related with severe inflammation.
This could be a number of things so we cannot guess or diagnose. I would get him back to your Vet as soon as possible. I pray your baby gets better soon.
[emoji120][emoji171][emoji252]

I would call your Vet and ask for refills on the medications already given. You want to maintain pain control so no suffering.
Then, I would ask your Vet how to transport your dog safely to them while medicated. (For example, put a muzzle on him to prevent biting...since pain is so severe. Have 2 people carry him carefully & lay him on car seat. Once at Vet, call the techs to come outside to transport him inside.)
Because this happened "suddenly" and screaming, I don't think it's Arthritis. It could have been a Grand Mal Seizure, in turn, causing a spinal cord injury. But definitely sounds nerve related with severe inflammation.
This could be a number of things so we cannot guess or diagnose. I would get him back to your Vet as soon as possible. I pray your baby gets better soon.

First, thank you for you response and taking your time.
I called the Vet and they want me to take him in again. I explained that he is not in the condition to take into the vet, car or even be touched other than been petted. He looks in discomfort all the time but manageable as of now. Any sudden movements or chaos around will cause him to freak out. He might also be in shock from the amount of pain a few day ago, perhaps.
As for the arthritis diagnostic or nerve problems. He was in a bit of discomfort before the attack happened. I didnt think it was to a point he needed to see a vet. I though maybe he made a bad movement and maybe strained a muscle. Thought with som rest would recover till the attack happened.

P.S. They Vet most likely needs to do an MRI in order to find out what's wrong. Some Vets will do a payment plan because they are so costly. I hope this helps.

I will contact them again anyways to check with the Vet to see if there is anything that can be done. I will keep his thread updated as time passes and I hope for the best. This dog(Simba) and I have a bod I dont even have with my own parents. [emoji5]

I truly understand that bond. They are like our kids...true family!![emoji171]
So he was in some discomfort before the attack...and is 6yrs old. He could have some mild arthritis. I just don't think he would be whimpering that much with Arthritis. And, with the sudden attack, screaming, and have severe pain in hips/legs where he can't even walk or be touched, something is very wrong. I hope you can somehow get him to the Vet and examined again. What is his name?? I really pray he will be fine. Please keep us posted.
[emoji120][emoji252][emoji171]

If you can get yumove that will help but if he's in pain then medication is probably the best way to go on top, if you ask your vets for a prescription you can get medication cheaper then buying it direct from the vets

I truly understand that bond. They are like our kids...true family!![emoji171]

So he was in some discomfort before the attack...and is 6yrs old. He could have some mild arthritis. I just don't think he would be whimpering that much with Arthritis. And, with the sudden attack, screaming, and have severe pain in hips/legs where he can't even walk or be touched, something is very wrong. I hope you can somehow get him to the Vet and examined again. What is his name?? I really pray he will be fine. Please keep us posted.

[emoji120][emoji252][emoji171]

Thank you so much for everything. I am a believer that everyone needs to have a little furry one by their side. His name is Simba and yes he is my first and only son [emoji4]. I have an actual little girl that is 4 and she will be devastated without him and so will the other Siberian Husky I have female Lucy. 4e3069cdff4f393de16921734e33b4eb.jpg&key=28a08cb1c91d004b2c030a7513453b480a272442f0da6f621143e037c70b61533f4fa5dd7b2b4f83adb01e0f0f743c30.jpg&key=ffa612d8d69e51435842df2ce73476b7f805a4d1025aa024efa338ae5ea2d6de

If you can get yumove that will help but if he's in pain then medication is probably the best way to go on top, if you ask your vets for a prescription you can get medication cheaper then buying it direct from the vets

Just waiting for later this afternoon to get a hold of him at the Vet location I took him to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ProOk

I know of you my judge me for this but here it goes....
I am Cuban, well hispanics in general has certain old school believes and way of doing things. I know they are old ways and sometimes unorthodox.
I spoke with a family member that had an issue similar to mine.
He spoke with a vet and the vet(friend) told him to give the pup Ibuprofen (i know is fraud upon) i had no other pain killer or anti inflammatory medication and I am literally pulling my hair due to his pain.
While I am a retired combat vet i am a big softy for animals.
So I went and bought 200 mg Ibuprofen and gave him one a few hrs ago. The dog has changed completely in just a few hrs and for the better. He actually ran.

At a guess he has maybe damaged a disc? My collie had issues with his rear end, yelps occasionally when rolling or a movement that tweaked it. That progressed and he was treated for arthritis as he began to limp but was still very mobile, he sat oddly with a humped back and his back feet pointed inwards. One day he was trying to climb out of the brook, slipped back and twisted. He seemed ok but then went off his back legs. Longer story shortened he eventually went for a CT scan, it showed a shattered disc which needed surgery. He recovered amazingly well (he was 12) and his gait was better than before leading me to think the disc had been a problem for a long time. Sadly though after about another 8 -12 weeks or so he went off his legs again after a suspected stroke and we had no option but to euthanise, I was totally gutted. We had no insurance but we were able to pay from savings. A CT scan is better able to diagnose soft tissue than an X-ray and is cheaper than an MRI.

I sincerely hope you can find the money somehow to have your dog treated properly, he can’t be left to suffer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

At a guess he has maybe damaged a disc? My collie had issues with his rear end, yelps occasionally when rolling or a movement that tweaked it. That progressed and he was treated for arthritis as he began to limp but was still very mobile, he sat oddly with a humped back and his back feet pointed inwards. One day he was trying to climb out of the brook, slipped back and twisted. He seemed ok but then went off his back legs. Longer story shortened he eventually went for a CT scan, it showed a shattered disc which needed surgery. He recovered amazingly well (he was 12) and his gait was better than before leading me to think the disc had been a problem for a long time. Sadly though after about another 8 -12 weeks or so he went off his legs again after a suspected stroke and we had no option but to euthanise, I was totally gutted. We had no insurance but we were able to pay from savings. A CT scan is better able to diagnose soft tissue than an X-ray and is cheaper than an MRI.

I sincerely hope you can find the money somehow to have your dog treated properly, he can’t be left to suffer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Believe me, is eating me alive that the most amazing creature in my life is in such pain and there isnt much I can afford to do now. Im in the process of getting my vehicle repossessed. No need to bore you with the shitty situation.
I wont let him suffer, I will strip for money even if I have to. Believe I will take care of him and wont let him suffer and get to the euthanized part unless is the only option. I will do my best and get him all the treatments possible.
Man I am astonished but how lovely the people in here are. Is so hard to find such great people nowadays. Thank you all for all your input, dont stop and keep them coming.

Both your babies are beautiful!!
You could call the Vet to see if there is any over-the-counter pain meds and what dosage(s) you could give him. Just to be safe. I hope SIMBA can eat before taking any NSaids, (Aleve, Ibuprofen, etc.), to prevent stomach upset.
I pray you do not have to put him down after exhausting all avenues. Ask your Vet if he will do a payment plan for a MRI Scan.

Both your babies are beautiful!!
You could call the Vet to see if there is any over-the-counter pain meds and what dosage(s) you could give him. Just to be safe. I hope SIMBA can eat before taking any NSaids, (Aleve, Ibuprofen, etc.), to prevent stomach upset.
I pray you do not have to put him down after exhausting all avenues. Ask your Vet if he will do a payment plan for a MRI Scan.

Oh I will, I promise I will take care of them. It would destroy me to do such a thing like many here have had to. Im sure it’ll all turn out great and yeah we make sure to feed him before any human medicine is administered.

Has he fallen of bed or couch, has played and twisted funny and fallen, it could be a trapped nerve or disk issue, as anti inflamitorys are helping tell that to the vet, I would also see if tehre is another vet around you can take him to as some vets are not very good

Ibuprofen (and aspirin) can be toxic to dogs and quite dangerous. Your vet should be able to prescribe a different type of anti inflammatory drug that is safer.

When my staffy had arthritis we had a special liquid that helped her (forgotten the name) and was also told that paracetamol at a certain dose was ok. As dogs metabolise the drug differently it was given much less frequently than it would have been for humans.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Has he fallen of bed or couch, has played and twisted funny and fallen, it could be a trapped nerve or disk issue, as anti inflamitorys are helping tell that to the vet, I would also see if tehre is another vet around you can take him to as some vets are not very good

I cant get him to the Vet. He is doing a bit better after the Ibuprofen. I know it can be toxic but I have no other choice. He is taking it twice a day, 200 mg. Only for a few days, I spoke with the Vet and if he doesnt get any better I will take him for stringer medication.
He is doing a good amount better after the ibuprofen.

I too wouldn't advise Ibuprofen but getting a more suitable canine painkiller like Meloxicam (Metacam) would be preferable. His original painkillers, Gabapentin, Tramadol and Prednisone, are way more powerful than Ibuprofen, so he's obviously improving, so it could just be a question of time - it may well have been a trapped nerve or pulled muscle (both very painful but usually resolved over time)

I know all NSaids are just hard on humans' stomachs and probably dogs as well causing digestive bleeding disorders if taken improperly. The Canine Meloxicam is very effective. Just keep working with your Vet and let he/she give you meds for your dog or can write you a script that you take to your pharmacy to be filled, which would then be a safe med/dosage.
How is SIMBA baby doing??

I really hope things get better for your SIMBA baby!! I'm glad you talked to your Vet.
[emoji191][emoji252][emoji120]

Well I wanted to update the great people here. First thank you all for all your help. I wanted to say that Simba is doing a lot better so far. Im waiting still to take him to the vet since I dont think it’ll be wise getting him in a vehicle nor he is ready.
Once I take him to the Vet I will update this.
Thank you all.

I too wouldn't advise Ibuprofen but getting a more suitable canine painkiller like Meloxicam (Metacam) would be preferable. His original painkillers, Gabapentin, Tramadol and Prednisone, are way more powerful than Ibuprofen, so he's obviously improving, so it could just be a question of time - it may well have been a trapped nerve or pulled muscle (both very painful but usually resolved over time)

Believe me I am 100 percent against giving them human medication and special since there are plenty of prove that they can so a lot more harm than good.
Unfortunately, I was out f option and had to resort to this. He has done great with the Ibuprofen and I am keeping a very close eye on him.

before you give any more Ibuprofen to you beloved dog, have a read at this article.... I would advise you to stop giving you dog human medicine...
https://www.petmd.com/dog/centers/nutrition/evr_dg_pain-medication-for-dogs

Thank you for the post,
Believe me I am against it but I had to resort to it. I couldnt take him back, didnt have the funds to either and they would not prescribe me any more medication. Trust me, I was killing myself for the crappy situation my pup was and is in.

Thanks for updating us!! With a lot more rest, maybe the problem will kind of work itself out and be gone. (Just like my back/neck, something will go out, and I'll have excruciating pain for 3-4days where I can't move. Then it will suddenly be gone. What a huge relief.) Hopefully with SIMBA, whatever's wrong will work itself out. If it's a musculoskeletal problem, usually there's inflammation, and some times NSaids are the best for that harsh pain.
I pray it's nothing severe that would require surgery. Feel better soon SIMBA!!
[emoji252][emoji171][emoji191][emoji847]

Thanks for updating us!! With a lot more rest, maybe the problem will kind of work itself out and be gone. (Just like my back/neck, something will go out, and I'll have excruciating pain for 3-4days where I can't move. Then it will suddenly be gone. What a huge relief.) Hopefully with SIMBA, whatever's wrong will work itself out. If it's a musculoskeletal problem, usually there's inflammation, and some times NSaids are the best for that harsh pain.
I pray it's nothing severe that would require surgery. Feel better soon SIMBA!!
[emoji252][emoji171][emoji191][emoji847]

Thank you.
He has been doing great and even running and pilling like he always does when we walk him. Hopefully whatever it was it worked itself out like you said. I pray too that he doesn’t need anything major. I will keep this up to date and some time passes to see where he is at. Thank you all for the help and hopes.

Archived