Ice’s tussle

Emma

A little while ago Ice got into a tussle with a fox in the back garden late at night. We managed to call ice away and the fox escaped. We checked him over and there didn’t appear to be any cuts etc.., but a few days later we noticed some crusts on his leg, muzzle and the top of his eye all on one side. We thought he’d caught himself on the rose bush where he was standing that night but it started to get worse so off to the vets we went.

Initially the vets suspected ZRD until we mentioned the fox incident which is way too much of a coincidence. So he’s been on mange tablets (one initially and then one more a month later, he loved it like it was a tasty treat! 🤷‍♀️). He’s also finishing a course of antibiotics now (doesn’t like those quite so much!) and touch wood the open sores are now scabbed up and shrinking in size which is a relief.

Poor boys really been through the wringer these last six months. It was only last summer he had pancreatitis!

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

Thanks everyone. Ice is now very excited every time he goes out into the garden, particularly around the shed and rose bush. So far he’s not found any trace of his sparring partner, hopefully that will continue.
His face was really itching him a few days ago, he was rubbing it against anything he could and making it bleed but now it seems more settled and he’s not bothered by it. Still doesn’t look too good but way better than before.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

not much you can do to keep foxes away, used to be a spray you could get but the smell was worse than the smell the foxes left behind

all you can do is check fences and try to block any fox sized holes, and try and get the boys (including hubby) to pee over the fences. with luck fox will agree to scent marks and stay out

also check under shed as you may have a fox looking for a den. and you dont want foxes setting up home under the shed, put something in the holes and see if it gets moved by a fox going in and out.

I am not sure but i think some one makes a mange spray you can spray around garden to kill off anything left behind by the fox. not 100% sure on that but I am sure some one in the USA was talking about that

not much you can do to keep foxes away, used to be a spray you could get but the smell was worse than the smell the foxes left behind

all you can do is check fences and try to block any fox sized holes, and try and get the boys (including hubby) to pee over the fences. with luck fox will agree to scent marks and stay out

also check under shed as you may have a fox looking for a den. and you dont want foxes setting up home under the shed, put something in the holes and see if it gets moved by a fox going in and out.

I am not sure but i think some one makes a mange spray you can spray around garden to kill off anything left behind by the fox. not 100% sure on that but I am sure some one in the USA was talking about that

Yeah we don’t stand much of a chance of avoiding them completely as the house opposite has a den in their back garden by a big, old tree. They like to jump around the shed roofs and then leap over the fences from garden to garden, unless its mating season then instead their preferred spot is right under my bedroom window whilst screaming like a banshee, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

lol yes fox nookie is noisey, sounds like some one is being killed

only thing you could try is a lot of that pigeon spike strips you can get and cover the shed roof with it

Foxes are lovely creatures, I can’t understand anyone who loves dogs not liking foxes. I do understand not wanting one in your garden as I believe the smell is pretty awful lol. I doubt my hens would want one that close either. They do suffer a lot with mange, probably bad diet doesn’t help either.

I’m glad I’ve Ice is on the mend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived