How many is too many

reneeyuncosa

I currently have 2 Siberian huskies. a woolly white male 6 months old and a 5 month old aguti female, my husband and I were thinking of getting another one to add to the pack. We have found a breeder in Ohio and she has 2 females that she is trying to re-home for a great price, my husband said to get both of them because its the last two and it would be sad to leave the one alone, I promptly said OK and made the proper arrangements. after speaking to a few people they advised me that 4 is a lot, I do agree that 4 is a big amount of dogs, but Husky owners know they are like chips cant just have one. So my question is this how many is too many huskies to have? am I biting off more than i can chew with getting the 2? 

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@reneeyuncosa ~ I agree with your husband!! I would get the two other puppies (just can't leave one by itself)!! Then you'll have all four babies within 6months apart in age. (I have 2 Huskies but would love 2 more but my hubby says no.) That's ok because I would be worn out with my age LOL!! I live in Ohio too!!
Good luck with your two new additions!!
Send photos of your big pack!!
[emoji252][emoji252][emoji252][emoji252][emoji847]

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

I think getting 2 puppies from the same litter is a bad idea, having litter maters can cause all sorts of problems. But in terms of how many, the more the merrier! Someone in my town has 5

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

I’d have 4 more in a heartbeat, Id love to have 6! How old are the other 2? I agree with Rachael about having 2 from the same litter, have a read about ‘littermate syndrome’.
Good luck with whatever you choose to do [emoji3]

the thing is i have 2 already one is 6 mo and the other is 5mo i got them one month apart from 2 different breeders and they are both very outgoing to humans and love us.. with reading up on this stiff it seems like your not supposed to do this at all because they are not going to bond with people. 

what I'm going to do is get them both right off and see how they both fit into my pack.. with the fact that i have 2 already established i have read that with the husky being a pack animal that the male will rule and the girls with establish themselves and then follow what the male does.. my big man, lars, adores me and will sit in my lap if i am on the floor. I am a force when it comes to dogs. My child also knows the dos and don'ts of huskies. so well see how it goes... I am going to crate them separately. and I'm taking off work to bond with them alone. I've had huskies before and with them being pack animals it seems that they tend to do better with groups with my house. Idk well see all i know is that both are cute as can be.. and i also don't take junk when it comes to tudes from dogs.. I had 2 dobermans the same time and had no issues. my 2 current huskies sleep in the same crate, they don't have any issues with being separated. but i will work my best before I have to rehome. 

I think getting two litter mates is absolutely fine because they would blend in with the two you already have. Plus, all 4 would be so close in age. (I know some people that have gotten two litter mates only and have never had problems.) I think it matters how well they are raised & loved.
"Happy Huskies, Happy House!!"
[emoji847][emoji191][emoji191][emoji191][emoji191][emoji847]

[emoji23] my girl totally rules tho my boy likes to think he does , just make sure you have one on one time too with walking etc the fun part will be all 4 hitting their teenage stage in quick succession of one another

my boy rules in the house and girl kicks butt outside. well see how it goes.. I love the breed and will never have another type

Just now, BingBlaze n Skyla said:

Oh and also even tho theyvsleeo in the same crate I wouldn't recommended it , they need their own space and they're still young atm but they could clash down the line

the two that share the crate have no issues at all. they get along with all dogs and humans. when they were apart they were good. I walk them together and separate no issues. i take one with me on trips the other is fine. I have spoken to a trainer and said its ok if there becomes aggression or emotional issues then address it. 

I had 2 before and they would purposely sleep in the same kennel. also the kennel that i have is HUGE set up to handle 2 alaskins... so it takes up my entire back room.. most nights its open so they can move about..I have a baby gate set up to keep them out of the main house. 

the two im getting next week will have separate puppy crates. and will be trained with k9 off leash training like the 2 i currently have 

Fair play, you sound like a lady with a plan! Good luck and I’m a little jealous you’re having 4, I’d love more but I have one with a few issues so not at the moment. You’re going to have some fun! [emoji3]

Just because you you already have 2 dogs doesn't mean they won't have litter mate syndrome. The rapper Professor Green has 2 dogs and recently got 2 puppies from the same litter and he had to return one as the female pup was clashing with the older female and they were displaying littermate syndrome issues

I have heard this as well and upon researching the breed that he has the dogs that he has tend to have an aggressive nature; and if not corrected right away in it can fester.  I had a pitt and had no issues but I do know that they are very territorial and need to be monitored closely. that is true with the huskies; that is why im taking a few days off work to monitor them. with the fact that i have 2 already when the 2 come in they will not be able to have a dominance in the house hold; they will be picked on that is the pack mentality. 

I have heard this as well and upon researching the breed that he has the dogs that he has tend to have an aggressive nature; and if not corrected right away in it can fester.  I had a pitt and had no issues but I do know that they are very territorial and need to be monitored closely. that is true with the huskies; that is why im taking a few days off work to monitor them. with the fact that i have 2 already when the 2 come in they will not be able to have a dominance in the house hold; they will be picked on that is the pack mentality. 

He doesn't own pits, they are illegal to own in the uk. Pack mentality must be backwards in my house then because my younger husky is the boss and was straight away!

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

Yeah, I agree with RACHAEL about the new one(s) coming into the house as more the dominant ones bcuz they are younger and smaller.
But you'll have to train all four right when you get the two new puppies. Nip the litter mate syndrome in the bud!! Because there will be four puppies (ages, 6mths, 5mths and 3mths for the new ones), you shouldn't have much of litter mate problems. Have lots of safe chew bones, safe balls, etc.
Keep in mind with four, it will be quadruple the work and the training, quadruple the food, quadruple the poodoo to pickup, 16pads/paws, 4 crates needed, quadruple the stress, quadruple the expenses (food/vet/shots), quadruple the patience, but the greatest quadruple comes with the rewards, happiness and love from your babies!![emoji847][emoji847][emoji847][emoji847]
If you would have any problems having four Husky pups, work each situation out as it comes. Never re-home them because you will be their forever home!! Stay positive!! I believe it will all work out!! @chelseafan ~ I too want more Huskies!! But I think ARMANI & ALINAH have such a loving bond...i would never want to break that up.[emoji23][emoji847][emoji252][emoji252][emoji171]

Luka wouldn’t cope at the moment, we were on our last walk tonight and he was spooked by the red lights on the speed signs by the road, he was concentrating that hard on it that when a car drove past us he nearly jumped out of his skin and nearly yanked my elbow out of joint. I may have to be satisfied with just two, tbh they keep me very busy! [emoji3]

I just wanted to add:@Markie has 7 adult Huskies. One of her females had puppies, and MARKIE was going to keep 2 of the pups... equalling 9 Huskies!! (So cool!!)
She would be a great person to talk too about having more than 2 Huskies. She has a system that works awesome for her and all of her babies!!
[emoji847][emoji252][emoji252][emoji191][emoji191]

We have 6 dogs, 1 GSD and 5 Huskies, none related, ages from 5 to 12 of which, 2 adopted from puppies (through rescue), 1 adopted from being 6 months feral (through rescue) and 1 adopted from being dumped on moors (from Dog Warden). All get on together, never had a single issue and none are so-called dominant and very obviously continually renegotiate their relationship with each other. They all live in the same room, fed together (we've had resource guarding when a couple came in - all sorted now) and all take turns on the one armchair in the room. Would we get another? Probably not as we can get all 6 dogs happily in the back of the car (rear seats removed) and 7 wouldn't fit (so it's for logistical reasons and no other reason) - but we take fosters (usually emergency cases) and all ours get on with foster who's usually crate-trained by us (all ours are though we don't have a crate up currently as none of ours need it anymore). Our methods are very simple: be fair to them and they'll be fair to you plus treat them all equally, no out and out favourites (we all have them but we don't allow favouritism to show...... too much!)

There was an interesting item in the series 'The Secret Life of Puppies' being shown on TV. There was the usual 'puppies homed at 8 weeks' (really? current research shows that 10-12 weeks is ideal as it's then the mother teaches manners to the pups) but one item was about 2 puppies from the same litter. Point they made was to make sure the owners occasionally took one puppy out without the other to promote bonding with the owner, so not just with each other. Good point - never considered that (though we'd never get another puppy as waaaaay too much work! ;))

But sounds like you're more than on top of what's likely to be required - being aware, keeping a lookout for potential issues and dealing with them immediately is half the battle. Good luck :)

4 hours ago, Markulous said:

We have 6 dogs, 1 GSD and 5 Huskies, none related, ages from 5 to 12 of which, 2 adopted from puppies (through rescue), 1 adopted from being 6 months feral (through rescue) and 1 adopted from being dumped on moors (from Dog Warden). All get on together, never had a single issue and none are so-called dominant and very obviously continually renegotiate their relationship with each other. They all live in the same room, fed together (we've had resource guarding when a couple came in - all sorted now) and all take turns on the one armchair in the room. Would we get another? Probably not as we can get all 6 dogs happily in the back of the car (rear seats removed) and 7 wouldn't fit (so it's for logistical reasons and no other reason) - but we take fosters (usually emergency cases) and all ours get on with foster who's usually crate-trained by us (all ours are though we don't have a crate up currently as none of ours need it anymore). Our methods are very simple: be fair to them and they'll be fair to you plus treat them all equally, no out and out favourites (we all have them but we don't allow favouritism to show...... too much!)

There was an interesting item in the series 'The Secret Life of Puppies' being shown on TV. There was the usual 'puppies homed at 8 weeks' (really? current research shows that 10-12 weeks is ideal as it's then the mother teaches manners to the pups) but one item was about 2 puppies from the same litter. Point they made was to make sure the owners occasionally took one puppy out without the other to promote bonding with the owner, so not just with each other. Good point - never considered that (though we'd never get another puppy as waaaaay too much work! ;))

But sounds like you're more than on top of what's likely to be required - being aware, keeping a lookout for potential issues and dealing with them immediately is half the battle. Good luck :)

thank you so much 

Archived