Sign in to follow this  
aharden98

Eight Week Old Puppy, Training Tips?

I know there's plenty to train on, but my first priority is potty training and not being aggressive about food with my other dog. 

He goes every time we go outside, but also goes when he feels like it inside. 

I feed my dogs separate but he growls and charges at the other dog while she's eating when he gets the chance. I want to curb this now cause he will get bigger and I don't want him being food possessive anyway. He does it with the water bowl too. 

Any tips?

No idea if he's full blood, saw both parents last weekend when i got him, they don't looked mixed breed, he'll be 8 weeks old on Saturday, 02/03. 

• Like 1

For potty training take him outside every half hour or so and particularly after sleeping, playing, eating/drinking and when he goes to the toilet give him lots of praise. When he goes inside quietly clean it up, ideally with a cleaner designed to break down the enzymes in urine.
Ice would grab at the others food and we fed them in different rooms and worked on treat training them together. I’d get them to sit close to each other with treats in my hand and then treat each one individually. I can now feed them in the same room if I need to but Ice prefers to be in the next room as usual. The difference is I now leave the door open so he can still see Bear eating her dinner but he leaves her be. In fact when I call him to dinner he will walk past Bear’s full food bowl and go straight to his own.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

• Like 2

Adding onto Emma's post. I recently went through this with my pup. 8 week olds basically have no control over their bladder so you have to take them out often. Draco had to go within 15 minutes after eating, 5 minutes after drinking, immediately after playing, immediately after waking up, and every 30 minutes or so during the day. Watch for signs he needs to go: sniffing, circling, going to a far corner of the room, staring at you, looking uncomfortable or otherwise looking restless. 

After he does go outside, give him a treat right away (just his kibble is fine) and praise. Make sure he walks through the door to the outside, don't carry him or else he won't 'get it' .

• Like 3

Cai was 17 weeks old when I brought Luka home who was 8 weeks old, Cai would take Luka’s food at feeding time and then eat his own, so I fed them separately for a couple of weeks. I then fed them in the same room but at opposite ends and I would stand in the middle keeping an eye on Cai and I’d tell him no if he tried to walk towards Luka, I did this at every meal time for months. They now eat in the same room with no issues. I had to be consistent as Cai wouldn’t eat his food until Luka had finished his. He also tried to take Luka’s bones, he doesn’t try it now as Luka won’t allow it, Cai was always trying to assert his authority. Fun times

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

sarah is very stubborn and wont get in my truck or come to me so i can pick her up to put her in my truck. BUT she doesnt like to be far from me so i came up with a plan. i have a gravel road that goes around my property that is 1/2 mile + long. i just get in my truck and take off down that rd. and she runs after. i keep her in my mirrors and speed up when she gets close. by the time i get back to my house, she is very thirsty so i give her water and grab her and throw her in the truck. eventually she will get tired of running and just get in the truck.

• Like 2

I always love everyone's Huskies' stories!!
With my two, ALINAH used to "rule" both their dog food bowls when we first adopted her 7mths ago. I worked with her, and she eats from her own bowl now (yay!). But, she has to cover her bowl with the hand towel saying, "everybody leave my personal food bowl alone!" ) She's so stingy LOL!!
With toys, she steals any toy ARMANI plays with. If he's chewing on a chew bone, she comes up and lays down touching him with her face by his paws pouting. Then she gets all cute acting and bats her tail like a big cat does. That quick, she's snatched his bone and literally lays back on his paws and chews the bone right in his face!! ARMANI looks at me all sad saying, "Mommy, she stole my bone again!" So I give her a different bone and then give him back his bone. (Everything either of them do is done with a big production like on a Broadway stage!! They are hilarious with the crazy things they do and love entertaining us!! I swear it is immensely therapeutic for anyone who watches them.
L️K

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

sarah was very stubborn  today. i made her run 2 laps before i could get her in my truck. i wish i had her energy. she is sound asleep now.

• Like 1

i had to go to sacramento today and left sarah alone for the first time. i had to unplug everything that she could reach because she likes to chew on wires. i have mostly cured her from that but didnt know how leaving her alone for 6 hours would effect her. i am glad to report that my house is still standing.

she did greet me with MUCH enthusiasm when i returned. 

• Like 2

i had a problem with sarah taking my work gloves and running off with them. she even left 1 in a puddle. i had been scolding her for that. just now she brought me an old glove that had holes in it and let me take it and inspect it before i gave it back to her. i think she is pretty smart.

• Like 2

Husky’s are very smart, I’ve built up a big vocabulary with my 2, they learn quickly.

• Like 1