Typical husky greeting?

Luna-tic

Luna isn’t a particularly affectionate dog and I find her quite difficult to read even after having her for a few months now. Sometimes when I come home, as I put the key in the door she dashes out of the front room and ... goes straight outside via the back door. Sometimes she waits for a few moments and I get just enough time to say hi and maybe give her a quick stroke then she runs out. When hubby comes home he gets the full woo woo treatment.

But one of the things she does really frequently which has me quite puzzled is I can go to say hello even if she's already indoors and as I move towards her she drops her head sideways to the floor as if she’s going to rub her muzzle on the ground so the front of her is sideways on to the ground and just kind of stays like that until she either drops to the floor completely or comes up again. Is this a typical husky manoeuvre or some sort of submission?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Harlow isn't affectionate hates being cuddled and patted on the head. She normally paws us theb goes into a bow and has a bit of a chat to us if we ignore her when we first get home. I think they're all so unique in their personalities more so than any other breed I've ever known!

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

She’s just over 6 years and she’s a re-home rather than a rescue although I do feel as though we rescued her. I don’t think she was mistreated as such, but both huskies in the family seemed more like accessories who got pushed down the pecking order as the family expanded, mother was due her 7th child and had a 17 month old toddler. She decided that she couldn’t cope with Luna (and she’s honestly no bother now she’s settled) so decided to give her away which meant she was separated from her brother whom she’d always lived with and another husky who lived there but left when one of the daughters moved out. Personally I really don’t understand how anyone can give away a dog they’ve had since a puppy, to me it would be like giving away your child! Whilst I believe Luna is much better off with us, she must miss her other “family” especially the other dog. At least with us she gets better food and much more exercise and lots of love but still, bonds are everything and she went through several weeks of separation anxiety until she settled. We have a dog flap and she chooses to spend a lot of time outside in the cold and the rain (she has a shelter) which saddens me as I very much want her to be part of the family (which is just hubby and me and visiting children) but I accept her choice.

We don’t crowd her at all, she’s allowed to choose where she wants to be. She’s just come in and gone into her cage, sat down, got up and gone out again lol. Her previous owner was the wife but I don’t know how much time she spent on the dog. She has a lovely quiet personality and charms everyone who meets her, is not at all aggressive with other dogs and has obviously had some training. I’m just going to let her be and just make sure she knows the few rules we need in place. She seldom goes upstairs and on occasion when she does it seems only to check where we are p, she doesn’t settle up there at all.

It will prob take a while for her to totally feel settled and she’s prob missing her brother and the other husky, I’m sure once she builds her trust in her new family you will see a difference, it may be that she’s not very affectionate anyway, was she affectionate with previous family?
Sounds as tho you love her a lot and she will feel it, hope everything works out for you and for Luna.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

It’s hard to say without knowing her and seeing it but could it possibly be a playful posture?

My little dog will do similar to Ice and then she’ll run off and wait for him to chase her if he doesn’t she’ll come back and try again, lol. Most of the time he’s just bemused by her. [emoji2]

Or alternatively, if she was destructive in her old house then she could have got told off when the old owners got back and so now she’s in the habit of running off or trying to guage your mood.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'll try to get a photo, it seems so unusual lol, it might be submissive. I don't know if she was affectionate with her previous owners, I don't know them at all the wife is a work colleague of my daughter's. I'm certain she's used to being shouted at and being whacked because when we first got her any movement towards her that wasn't very gentle caused her to really shy away as though she was expecting to be hit, very sad. She's more relaxed in that respect, I don't even shout at her because her face when she looks at me melts my heart :) I feel very lucky to have her but also very sad that her first six years weren't what she deserved. They're now looking to re-home her brother and she asked my daughter if I'd be interested. I don't feel I can because my 2 cats are now settled with Luna, she respects them and leaves them alone and as I'm the main walker I'm not sure I could cope with Zeus, he looked very wired when we met him. He's gorgeous too, big blue eyes but has the very dark coat with the dark mask on his face, very striking. He's apparently started growling at the toddler, hardly surprising because the household is pretty chaotic and they aren't likely to even think of allowing supervised access to the dog for the child, he'll just be doing what toddlers do, grabbing handfuls of hair etc. I'm so sad for him, he's lost his two companions and now they admit they don't even have time to walk him 😢, awful, poor dog. All that energy and nowhere to burn it off.

If it were me, I would take ZEUS so LUNA has her brother back.
When we got ARMANI, he was as wild as they get. So we adopted ALINAH, and they both have a blast...most importantly. They are so happy, bring out the best in each other, and us. They crack us up all the time and are the biggest blessings...our babies!! They both are besties...but also want us involved playing with them all the time.
Maybe LUNA is depressed bcuz she misses ZEUS. I feel so bad for ZEUS.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

I suspect Angie that your partner is more accommodating than mine. Whilst he's happy to have a dog and does some dog walking, he still works in a position where there are meetings at all different times, if he couldn't be there when I walked them I think I'd struggle. Luna is very biddable and today when we went out I was busy with some bramble trimming to make the path more accessible and several times she vanished but she hadn't run off as much as she'd gone exploring and came (eventually lol) when I called/whistled. She had a great time, sniffing in corners, under trees and even went into the brook at one point. I couldn't have let two dogs go at once though. I do feel bad about Zeus but I wouldn't want to take him and then find I can't control/manage him, that really would be unfair. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Aww, she looks like she is very accepting of love, showing affection and being extra adorable for you two!!🤗 

I honestly think when you come home, turn the key, and she runs through her doggie door outside, I believe LUNA is trying to "lead you outside" to play with her. She's just happy Mommy's home so she has her playmate. (I believe she has picked you to be her playmate since you're with her more.)

All dogs do different things through excitement. Mine always want outside too when I get home. But they want me outside with them!!

Great photos!!📸

🤗🐺🐾💜

Archived