Adopted Husky starting to Nibble/Bite

LuthertheHusky

Hello everyone!

My girlfriend and I just recently adopted a Husky about 4 years old, Neutered Adult Husky; 2 months ago. Recently, he started to nibble and is getting more active with his teeth/mouth. He started with nibbling on my girlfriend's clothes about 2 weeks ago, as if he is trying to rip her shirt Also when we play with each other, he is now starting to make a "biting action". He would run towards me, open his mouth and act as if he is trying to bite my arms/hands. Usually, I would retract before there is a long enough contact for him to bite. I'm confused on why he's acting this way and I want to teach him stop to prevent any accidents in the future. Can anyone give me any insight or experiences similar?

Thank you :)

23 hours ago, BingBlaze n Skyla said:

What are you playing with him when it happens?, sounds like he's built his confidence up and is pushing his luck

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

Usually, I take him to the Tennis Courts and I'd let him roam and run. And I'll either walk around the court for exercise or run. And He'll just come running at me-and trying to bump into me or run at me bump and try to bite my arm. 

23 hours ago, Rachael_Astro said:

Huskies will push the boundaries in most ways possible, it's up to you to set the boundaries so he knows where he stands

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Ahh! Hmm I'm not sure what else to do. I usually try to pretend it hurts and yelp, or say Stop or No. I've even put him on a "time out" when it gets too excessive at home-by leashing him to the door to let him calm down. But it's mostly when we play at the Tennis courts. Do you have any suggestions on what I can do to make it more strict?

Some people may not agree to it, but if a dog overdoes something I don’t like like biting. I’ll do what you said you’ve done like saying stop, no in a stern voice or the “time out”. I also ignore them for awhile until they don’t bite for awhile then play and if he bites again I’ll ignore. And in the end if none of that works I’ll take a magazine or something and spank the dog every time he bites. Nothing hard, nothing rough just something where he sees that it’s just not okay. Also you could start teaching him commands if you don’t like the idea of “spanking”. I feel like sometimes it works with some dogs that once they learn basic commands they’ll obey more to “no” or “stop”. Hopefully you stop his bad habit soon [emoji4]

just a word of warning hitting or as Abbie calls it spanking more then likely will give the opposite effect biting can become more aggressive and can lead to much worse then what you have now...

I would put on a small house lead and make a place in your house the time out space, we use our hallway, once nipping starts take the pup by the lead and put it in the time out space and use a command that you associate with that we use "hall" then make it lay down and turn you back and ignore after a few time like that slowly walk away and ignore totally... huskies love company so the normally learn very quick that they get punished when something they do wrong and they lose out of company. we only have to say hall and everything stops...

but please do not start hitting your pup..slightly or hard it is not right...

Spanking may have worked for that particular husky but it’s definitely not advisable, besides the fact that your husky may act aggressively you also have to deal with a lack of trust from your dog. Positive reinforced training is the way to go with teaching and husky’s learn quickly, if you want your husky to trust you do not tap or smack him. As rob says for time outs, there is no quick fix for training it takes time and lots of patience.
Have a read of Norwegian dog trainer and behaviourist Turid Rugaas, she has helped me to understand dog behaviours and what it means. I think if we have a better understanding of our fur babies our relationship with them improves. Good luck [emoji3]

Thank you guys for the response! I would like to refrain from any physical unless he is really bad to the point that I can't get his attention. I also feel really bad with the tying him onto the door for "time out", is there a better way? 

Today, I have tried to say "No" sternly, but it seems to have agitated him more and he started to bark back at me (and he isn't a barker either!). After I say "No!" he would stop, look me in the eye, hesitate a bit and then start barking at me. I would usually try to calm him down and get his mind to do something else. On another note, today he actually did the same "biting action again" and he didn't pierce but he did bruise me, and there is a bruis in my arm. Not sure what else to do now, since he started Barking back..? Any tips?

He’s talking back to you, mine do it when I tell them to do something they don’t want to do. It’s really about setting the boundaries for him, husky’s are very intelligent and love human interaction, try to keep him to a routine of walking and feeding, playing and training, this way he learns to know what’s expected of him. As for time outs, do you have another room for him to go into, tying him up may aggravate him and he may associate a walking lead with being tied up. When my 2 were pups I’d put one in one room and one in another, they didn’t like being on their own, be consistent with this and every time he misbehaves remove him, if he won’t go you could put a lead on him and walk him out, he’ll soon learn. Lots of patience and try to ignore the bad and overly praise good behaviour.
As he’s 4 who knows how many previous owners he’s had and how he’s been treated, and as it’s a learning process for you so to it is for him, it will take time for him to trust you. Have a look on YouTube at how husky’s play together, it’s noisy and looks aggressive, he could be trying to play with you like that. Good luck [emoji3]

I think your baby wants to play. Huskies love play time all the time. You could get a rope and play Tug of War...of course let him win some times. He just needs a way to release all that energy. Mental stimulation is great and needed as well. Get a Kong and fill it with mini milk bones or frozen peanut butter, yogurt, etc.
My Husky would bite me all the time...but it was never done intentionally...he just wanted to play, run, chase a ball, etc.
Keep your patience and keep working with your baby. You & your Husky will get there eventually.
[emoji171][emoji252][emoji191][emoji274]

On 1/16/2018 at 11:39 PM, robke said:

he is just talking back to you trying to set his boundries and what he can get away with...

Thank you for the response! I was thinking that too, I was just afraid he might be getting aggressive.

On 1/17/2018 at 3:28 AM, chelseafan said:

He’s talking back to you, mine do it when I tell them to do something they don’t want to do. It’s really about setting the boundaries for him, husky’s are very intelligent and love human interaction, try to keep him to a routine of walking and feeding, playing and training, this way he learns to know what’s expected of him. As for time outs, do you have another room for him to go into, tying him up may aggravate him and he may associate a walking lead with being tied up. When my 2 were pups I’d put one in one room and one in another, they didn’t like being on their own, be consistent with this and every time he misbehaves remove him, if he won’t go you could put a lead on him and walk him out, he’ll soon learn. Lots of patience and try to ignore the bad and overly praise good behaviour.
As he’s 4 who knows how many previous owners he’s had and how he’s been treated, and as it’s a learning process for you so to it is for him, it will take time for him to trust you. Have a look on YouTube at how husky’s play together, it’s noisy and looks aggressive, he could be trying to play with you like that. Good luck emoji3.png

You're right! It's only been about 3 months of us being together. But yeah we most likely need more time together. He is our first husky we have, so a little inexperienced. 

On 1/17/2018 at 6:14 PM, ARMANI & ALINAH said:

I think your baby wants to play. Huskies love play time all the time. You could get a rope and play Tug of War...of course let him win some times. He just needs a way to release all that energy. Mental stimulation is great and needed as well. Get a Kong and fill it with mini milk bones or frozen peanut butter, yogurt, etc.
My Husky would bite me all the time...but it was never done intentionally...he just wanted to play, run, chase a ball, etc.
Keep your patience and keep working with your baby. You & your Husky will get there eventually.
emoji171.pngemoji252.pngemoji191.pngemoji274.png

Thanks for the great tip! I'll definitely get more creative for him!

With Mika, I exercise a lot of patience.  Whenever she goes to nip me, I immediately stop playing with her and ignore her. She really loves attention and absolutely hates being ignored. She is slowly starting to associate that biting is the reason play time ends and she has been biting much, much less. I know every husky is different, but I hope this helps!

Archived