Keeping rats out of garden

Rachael_Astro

So the other day I let Astro out the back garden at night, it's just fields behind my house so my garden is pitch black. I saw him race towards the fence and jump, I actually thought he had gone over but luckily not! The next day I saw why - a huge rat was sat by the back fence!

I've got fake grass so they can't bury through that, but in the corner I've got a shed and between the concrete base and the fence there's a gap with just soil and they have been burying through that

I'm not poisoning them, has anyone got any ideas what I could put in the gap to stop them burying through?

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

not much you can do apart from making an open space rats like to follow run along walls  and edges  they hate crossing open spaces. only way to deal with them without poison is rat traps, you could also try spraying some Jays fluid around the nesting area daily for a week or two and if your not on a water meter shove a hose pipe down into the nest and turn the tap on for an hour or pour some concrete over the area.  Rats are hard to deal with they do say your never more than 6 foot away from a rat. also make sure your dogs are up on the Lepto jabs and watch out for wiels what ever its called its a nasty infection rats can pass to humans hence why you want to flood them out with Jays

RACHAEL~ Can you put some more of the fake grass there with a big rock on top of it to block the gap?? Or stuff a piece of sheet metal down about a foot deep (long-wise) & then put a big rock on top of it so your dog doesn't get cut by the metal or maybe hammer a board down into the ground.
I hope something will work.[emoji171][emoji252][emoji252][emoji274]

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

we have had rats in our garde as well...unfortunately our neighbours has a pound and overfeeds his fish so they came and clean up the fish food pellets... the only thing we could do, after having had advise from the council is to trap them and call the council when there was one in the trap they then came and toke them away... not had any this year yet...neighbour has no fish anymore to feed so that must have been it...

unless they cannot dig under neath the only thing you can do is close up the whole but if there is something they want or need to get to they will find a way...

Get some humane traps and relocate them

I did think about that, but I'm not sure how many there are! Both my neighbour's have decking by their back fence and the rats have burrowed under their fences and some live under their decking. It's just fields behind my house and there's a hedge behind our fence that runs along our whole row of houses, there could be a few! I think if I can just keep them out my back garden I'll be happy with that [emoji4]

we have had rats in our garde as well...unfortunately our neighbours has a pound and overfeeds his fish so they came and clean up the fish food pellets... the only thing we could do, after having had advise from the council is to trap them and call the council when there was one in the trap they then came and toke them away... not had any this year yet...neighbour has no fish anymore to feed so that must have been it...
unless they cannot dig under neath the only thing you can do is close up the whole but if there is something they want or need to get to they will find a way...

There's nothing in my garden that's any use to them, my recycling is locked away and then I've just got plastic grass and a shed that's locked up! They probably just want to have a nosey [emoji23]

RACHAEL~ Can you put some more of the fake grass there with a big rock on top of it to block the gap?? Or stuff a piece of sheet metal down about a foot deep (long-wise) & then put a big rock on top of it so your dog doesn't get cut by the metal or maybe hammer a board down into the ground.
I hope something will work.[emoji171][emoji252][emoji252][emoji274]

I do have offcuts of grass actually, might try that! The gaps really small, I struggled to get my arm behind the shed when I was painting the fence, so limits what I can use really [emoji17]

not much you can do apart from making an open space rats like to follow run along walls  and edges  they hate crossing open spaces. only way to deal with them without poison is rat traps, you could also try spraying some Jays fluid around the nesting area daily for a week or two and if your not on a water meter shove a hose pipe down into the nest and turn the tap on for an hour or pour some concrete over the area.  Rats are hard to deal with they do say your never more than 6 foot away from a rat. also make sure your dogs are up on the Lepto jabs and watch out for wiels what ever its called its a nasty infection rats can pass to humans hence why you want to flood them out with Jays

I really don't want to poison them, they were probably here before us and I do t want to be cruel. I've got no idea where the nest is, there's probably some under my neighbour's deckings and some in the hedge behind my fence which is farmers land so I can't go spraying anything behind there anyway. Just wasn't sure what to use as everything I can think of they will probably bury through!

7 hours ago, Rachael_Astro said:

I really don't want to poison them, they were probably here before us and I do t want to be cruel. I've got no idea where the nest is, there's probably some under my neighbour's deckings and some in the hedge behind my fence which is farmers land so I can't go spraying anything behind there anyway. Just wasn't sure what to use as everything I can think of they will probably bury through!

Rats like other rodents leave scent trails as they run along walls  and edges if you spray jays fluid over them it will kill the scent  (ok jays does not smell too great but its not awful) so you remove the scent trail and then either block the edge so they cant run along it and force them out into the open (which they will not like) they will then either go around your garden hopefully staying outside or move some where else.Link to where you can get some but you may find it cheaper some where else

I am guessing that behind your shed is a small gap you need to block that gap completely stack some old bricks up into a wall about 18 inches high toching the shed wall and fence. spary the Jayes and the rats will loose the path and try to find a new way around to where they are going

http://www.diy.com/departments/jeyes-fluid-outdoor-disinfectant-tin-1000-ml/38288_BQ.prd?ppc_type=shopping&ds_kids=92700025315343055&utm_source=google_cpc&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=PX_GSC_Home_and_Decor_Generic&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4b3l5rjM2AIVxrDtCh2GjwcPEAQYBSABEgIXZfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=COyUoPm4zNgCFaqjUQodtAkGOA

Rats like other rodents leave scent trails as they run along walls  and edges if you spray jays fluid over them it will kill the scent  (ok jays does not smell too great but its not awful) so you remove the scent trail and then either block the edge so they cant run along it and force them out into the open (which they will not like) they will then either go around your garden hopefully staying outside or move some where else.Link to where you can get some but you may find it cheaper some where else
I am guessing that behind your shed is a small gap you need to block that gap completely stack some old bricks up into a wall about 18 inches high toching the shed wall and fence. spary the Jayes and the rats will loose the path and try to find a new way around to where they are going

http://www.diy.com/departments/jeyes-fluid-outdoor-disinfectant-tin-1000-ml/38288_BQ.prd?ppc_type=shopping&ds_kids=92700025315343055&utm_source=google_cpc&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=PX_GSC_Home_and_Decor_Generic&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4b3l5rjM2AIVxrDtCh2GjwcPEAQYBSABEgIXZfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=COyUoPm4zNgCFaqjUQodtAkGOA

Ahh I see yes I'll give that a try then [emoji4]

Could you put some metal stakes there in the small gap? I was thinking like metal conduit/pipes (the kind that are in the plumbing section of stores about 4-ft long to hammer into the ground). I'm not sure what the piping is called.

Thanks for the idea I'll have a look!

I’d have a word with your neighbours too, you dont want to lay poison but they might and if your dogs chew on a dead poisoned rat it would make them very poorly not to mention costly vet visit
Hope you get it sorted Rachael

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

There must be a food source somewhere near you or the rats would not be there  - especially if they are nesting.    I was troubled with rats in my garden for over two years  -  tried EVERYTHING to get rid of them  -  including using my two cats and Marley  (Lunar would not hurt anything)  Marley on the other hand turns out to be a great hunter.

I have had hens for years  - but was meticulous in keeping the feed in predator-proof bins, the hen's troughs were always in the vermin proof section with their coops etc.  Although I did not like it,  I did use poison in the end, but contacted the manufacturer first and got confirmation that it would not affect either my hens or my dogs/cats.   It was the type of poison that dehydrated the rat.    This reduced the numbers but did not get rid of them all  -  they are smart little critters.

I will be moving to South Wales as soon as my house is sold - and would not subject my girls to a 9 hour drive in a van so rehomed them with a friend who has an acre of land for them to roam in.   Within 4 weeks of the girls being gone  - so were the rats  -  they must have been getting at the feed somehow.    I would check with your neighbours  -  are they feeding the wild birds?

I would look to block the gap as rats only need a gap height of half an inch to gain entry and they’ll nest where there’s access to food. I’d have a word with your neighbour as Jo’s said, maybe they could put traps down. Hope you sort it.

I spoke to one of my neighbour's yesterday and they have been putting bait down apparently, not sure where as they have 2 dogs too! They have bird feeders hanging up so maybe the food has fallen to the floor

Birdfeeders will bring in rats...it is like a gourmet buffet for them...

not wanting it to sound cruel but good baits mean they take it back to their den and they will consume it there and that is where they are killed ...

I agree with ROB bcuz I have the same problem with moles/voles (black), smaller than rats. (If they are really bad, you may have to do something like good bait sadly.)
They sure know how to tear up a yard with all their tunnels they make. I cannot get rid of mine either. The dogs catch them and play with them. But they don't hurt or eat them thank God.
[emoji4][emoji252][emoji252][emoji171]

I agree with ROB bcuz I have the same problem with moles/voles (black), smaller than rats. (If they are really bad, you may have to do something like good bait sadly.)
They sure know how to tear up a yard with all their tunnels they make. I cannot get rid of mine either. The dogs catch them and play with them. But they don't hurt or eat them thank God.
[emoji4][emoji252][emoji252][emoji171]

Luckily I've got fake grass with lots of layers of rocks underneath they won't be getting through that [emoji23] it's just this one corner where the grass ends. Told my fella off cos when he cuts the top of the hedge behind our fence he just leaves the bits there so over the years it's gradually built up, there's probably a rat palace under there!

Oh that's too funny about the hedge trimmings and palace!! (That's exactly what it is LOL!) Maybe you could "sneakily" move those clippings (shhhh!) over to your neighbor's yard...maybe they'll move in next door for good!!
[emoji553][emoji23][emoji171]

Archived