Gastro enteritis nightmare.......

chelseafan

Luka blue has what the vet thinks is gastro enteritis, it’s day 4 of diarrhoea and vomiting, he ate boiled chicken yesterday and managed to keep it down but today he threw up all of his chicken and he’s not eaten since this morning and he still has blood in his stools. The vet has given him antibiotics and a vitamin injection and some pro max. He’s going back tomorrow to have blood work done and maybe an x-ray if he doesn’t improve, he’s lost over 2kg in weight up to now. It’s a rollercoaster of emotions, apologies if that sounds overly dramatic, watching him so lifeless. He’s not at all tempted to eat, I’m trying everything he likes, he’s drinking water and I’m watching him like a hawk at the moment. Has anyone had experience of this and how long does it last?

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh my gosh. If your baby seems pretty weak, lifeless or lethargic, I personally would get your baby to an ER Vet now and have him admitted to a hospital due to severe dehydration, starving, loss of blood... that's really serious. I believe he would possibly need a transfusion and IVs.
(I personally had this, and I spent 4days in the hospital thinking I was going to die with all the same symptoms as your baby. And I would have died if I didn't go to the ER, which I, of course, was admitted.)
Maybe I'm too overly cautious, but this is not good with how your baby is acting.
I'd take him now.
Praying deeply and love & hugs.
[emoji120][emoji171][emoji252]

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

if he is drinking and that is staying put that is half the battle...

<--- Jake in my picture had it once and it stayed with him for 6 days he drank ok but the vet was on short-dail... he started picking up with boiled rice at first then boiled chicken and rice had that for 4 days and then went on his normal feed...

hope he will feel better soon...

Poor Luka, hope he’s on the mend soon and you are not being dramatic its awful seeing them poorly [emoji173]️

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

HGE can last several days, Ice was misdiagnosed with it as a pup. It was about a week of him being unwell and several trips to the vet when he passed a lot of blue roll (giant blue kitchen roll that the other half used for work) when we found out that actually it was that which had made him unwell (we changed vets).

Ice had very similar symptoms with pancreatitis and it was several days before he’d eat. We took him twice in a week to the vets for anti sickness shots, antibiotics and painkiller injections, after the second round he picked up slowly but took a good 2-3 weeks for him to be fully recovered and full of energy again.

As mentioned, if he's drinking that's the important thing. We've just had our German through an operation - and used the leftover turkey and boiled up bones stock in rice to get her through the first few days when she began to eat again (about day 3). Today she'll be signed off with the removal of the last of the staples from her belly (she had bloat - Boxing Day evening)

Thankyou everyone, they’ve both been in my room at night just so I can check on him and to make sure he’s drinking water, I’m thinking they like my room too much! Today he wants to play a little which is a good sign, Cai has been desperate to play but all Luka did was growl every time he went near him. He still has blood in his diarrhoea but no sickness now. I can’t wait for him to be his nutty self! With the weight he’s lost he has a very defined waist, even his vari harness has had to be altered!

Hi Hope Luka gets well soon. I know what your going through. Mowgli had a very similar issue with alot of blood in his poo and like water most the time. It lasted around a week. The vets gave him some tablets which may of helped but I also reduced his food to around half and added yogurt and pumpkin puree. It sounds wrong but I also fed him half lamb spine every couple of days to help bung him up. I am not sure what fixed him, but it took around a week or so to clear.

I have never had any joy with boiled chicken and rice. Seems to just make Mowgli poo even more. Just remember, You know your dog better than anyone... even a vet. 

Be patient and give him loads of love, Before you know it he will be back to his normal self :)

Dan

@chelseafan ~ I pray LUKA is feeling even better today!!
I had a question. Is ProMax a probiotic??
[emoji120][emoji171][emoji252][emoji191][emoji274]

Hi Angie, he’s up and down, he ate all of his food last night but none this morning and poop back to water, I’ve included a photo of Promax easier than writing it down, thanks for asking about Luka.ba492b386fae4f080a1763bf79ee183e.heic

Back at the vets with Luka, he was very poorly yesterday, I thought I was a panicker but realised my other half is worse than me! He was phoning me regularly asking if there was any change in Luka and saying that he looks as tho he’s given up on life, just what you want to hear. Anyway, he’s eaten today, dried mixer and then he had abit of lamb stock, he couldn’t get enough of that, I tried everything, he turned his nose up at the boiled chicken. He still has nasty diarrhoea but the vet is happy with the way things are now, she’s been great phoning to check on him, no walks again today just rest, hopefully he’s on the mend.

I'm so glad you took him to the Vet again. It's better to be safe. Also, so happy LUKA ate your yummy lamb mixture!! Lots of water and rest and love.
I keep praying everyday for your handsome sweet baby!!
[emoji120][emoji171][emoji8][emoji252][emoji92]

Have a look at Natural Instinct food. It is very easy on the stomach and it has ground bone in it which helps. If you want to try, I can send you a few for the weekend. I have a freezer full of most flavours but would recommend the chicken and tripe. I can 100% guarantee he will eat it. Send me a PM if you would like some to try for the weekend and I can tell you how much to feed etc.

I AM NOT AFFILIATED WITH THE COMPANY (Just before anyone asks)

Dan

Took them both to the off lead field earlier on, they’re both hunting for mice, none found, but Luka’s taken a step back with recovery, poop solid this morning, watery and pink this afternoon and doesn’t want to eat. Is this normal? Pics from today...714c94d909c209282e686b73376ccbb4.heic802a05e5355b8aa014a9fa529e89f34c.heice712f5f2c3e9d730d0b26477514af53f.heicafdeb2055b7a57ad6e18cf071d39da34.heice219a12455fe0ed263b9e4491812bb30.heic

LOVE your photos!! BEAUTIFUL BABIES!![emoji171]
With LUKA, I would take a stool sample to the Vet to get blood counts (red blood count, white blood count) because he has to be low on blood. It can take quite awhile for RBC to build back up and to hard to do so, when he keeps losing blood causing extreme weakness & hard on all organs. In addition, if you can catch a urine sample in a plastic cup, they should test for dehydration, etc. (It's great his stool has solidified!!)
In my opinion, it just seems like too many back & forth symptoms, where I believe LUKA Baby should be slowly getting better.
Just know I'm praying for LUKA bunches!!
[emoji171][emoji8][emoji191][emoji252][emoji8][emoji847]

Fingers crossed he’s on the mend.
The vet forewarned us that Ice could dip back down when the meds wore off (which he did), so we ended up with two rounds of anti sickness shots in the end. The bottom half though, that took ages to come back together,about a further two weeks after he’d finally stopped being sick for good. So I know it can sometimes feel like you’re living in a world full of puke and poop which is a bit overwhelming at times to say the least. HGE can zap them out for quite a while but here’s hoping that it’s onwards and upwards for him now xxx

Thanks for reassuring me, the vet has been at the other end of the phone almost daily, this is what I’m finding, once the antibiotic wears off he dips down, he’s just eating white fish, abit of lamb stock with a handful of dry mixer at the moment. He wants to play, which is a good sign, drinking plenty so it’s a case of patiently waiting....

Archived