!!HELP!! POSSESSIVE/AGGRESSIVE HUSKY PUPPY

zurie-the-husky

Hello, I have a 9 month old siberian husky who has been very possessive and aggressive towards me for a few months. She will grab my socks, cloths, hair clips and won't let go of them and if i try she will snarl and snap at me. If i do take it back, she will jump on me and bite me and won't let go until she gets it back. At first, i used to do a treat trade where i will give her a treat if she drops it, but that has stopped working. I don't know what to do to get her to stop being so aggressive and possessive. Please help me, tell me some tips or tricks or advice on how to train her properly.

Thank you!!:up:

side note: ill insert a picture of what she did to me this morning trying to get my hair clip back (this is not the worse of it, she has drawn blood on me before sadly). I've also gotten scars on my hands because of her bites. It makes me very sad because i love her so much and she is a sweet dog i just don't know how to get her to stop being so aggressive.

IMG_0494.JPG

17 minutes ago, spoiled62912 said:

Pop her nose. Doesn't have to be hard, but you need to be the alpha.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

I was doing that for a while actually but im afraid she'll jump at me and bite. So when she grabs something of mine i should just bop her nose until she lets it go or just do it once? 

popping nose is a bit out of date IMO...can most certainly bring out more anger in her....

what do you do to train you pup or make it tired...to me it sounds like she is playing and seeing you as equal in this play...try something like handtarget training make it fun and is really tiring for any dog any age...also for now put all the regular things that she plays with that is your out of the way...

popping nose is a bit out of date IMO...can most certainly bring out more anger in her....
what do you do to train you pup or make it tired...to me it sounds like she is playing and seeing you as equal in this play...try something like handtarget training make it fun and is really tiring for any dog any age...also for now put all the regular things that she plays with that is your out of the way...
That's what they say about children as well. But we see how that works when children aren't disciplined. Granted yes she could be playing but that is not a type of play that is acceptable. And you must prove that you are alpha and what type of play is acceptable. This is not acceptable play.

That's what they say about children as well. But we see how that works when children aren't disciplined. Granted yes she could be playing but that is not a type of play that is acceptable. And you must prove that you are alpha and what type of play is acceptable. This is not acceptable play.

The alpha theory is a load of rubbish. And there is a bit of a difference between training a dog and raising a child! Smacking teaches nothing positive

I agree with what Rob has suggested

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

59 minutes ago, robke said:

I take her to dog parks and dog daycares very often (almost daily) and on the days i don't, I'll play with her in the backyard with a ball and take her on walks. I've noticed when we play, she'll rub her toys on my leg or arm to get me to play tug-o-war with her and when she plays with other dogs she likes to play really rough so i see it is in her personality to be rough. 

You have a crate put her in it Everytime she starts it. Pick your stuff up. Put her in different room tell you are done. Don't give her treats huskies are smart she is working you with treats. She knows now that you will give her treats if she puts something down. Now you aren't. Now you are just taking it away. No more treats put them up. She mad because you went from giving her something to not. She is working you over she knows she isn't suppose to have it and you want it down. She is waiting for the treats.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

I take her to dog parks and dog daycares very often (almost daily) and on the days i don't, I'll play with her in the backyard with a ball and take her on walks. I've noticed when we play, she'll rub her toys on my leg or arm to get me to play tug-o-war with her and when she plays with other dogs she likes to play really rough so i see it is in her personality to be rough. 
Not saying it isn't in their nature to play rough, mine does as well. But mine knows the limits of rough play as well.

I was doing that for a while actually but im afraid she'll jump at me and bite. So when she grabs something of mine i should just bop her nose until she lets it go or just do it once? 
Look at her like a challenge because that's the way she is looking at you. Dont be scared just do what has to be done plan and simple. They know she can smell your fear. Keep your self calm when you get the point that she is in trouble to put her in a crate stay neutral no feeling nothing completely neutral dont yell or get angry just do what must be done.

The alpha theory is a load of rubbish. And there is a bit of a difference between training a dog and raising a child! Smacking teaches nothing positive

I agree with what Rob has suggested

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app
There is no difference. My husky is my child. She knows who's the boss, she knows the limits of rough play. No one said smacking. A little pop on the nose doesn't hurt. And I can guarantee getting popped when I was growing up taught me something. This is the issue with society today.

1 hour ago, BingBlaze n Skyla said:

Agree with rob, also no more playing rough too till she learns and please don't hit/tap on the nose she'll probably just think you're still playing rough it won't stop her

Thank you, will do. Also, when she does grab one of my things what should i do? I don't want to leave it bc i don't want her to think that's okay. So, how should i go about that?

Thank you, will do. Also, when she does grab one of my things what should i do? I don't want to leave it bc i don't want her to think that's okay. So, how should i go about that?
Put her in a kennel when she grabs at something. She knows you don't want her to. Your puppy is way past the cute and cuddle stage. When she gets out of line put her in time out in another room or kennel.

Personally I'd make sure there's nothing she can get hold of I know accidents happen tho so maybe having a house line on her would help , you don't want to put her in a crate as that should be a safe place for her , does she have an absolute favourite toy or treat she goes crazy for? If so use that toy for trading only they're more likely to respond when they get something they deem a higher value then what they already have

A dogs nose is a delicate and sensitive area, studies have shown that a tap or a smack on the nose will heighten an aggressive response and can also create a fear of hands therefore creating another problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

do not put you pup in a crate as punishment find a different place we use for instance the hallway as time out place...only have to say hall now and they all go in there and they know they have done something wrong...did take a bit of training but is a solution... crate should be and must be imo a safe haven where a pup can go to when it wants or needs.. using it as a punishment as well as a safe haven will confuse your pup no end....

On 1/7/2018 at 5:37 PM, BingBlaze n Skyla said:

Personally I'd make sure there's nothing she can get hold of I know accidents happen tho so maybe having a house line on her would help , you don't want to put her in a crate as that should be a safe place for her , does she have an absolute favourite toy or treat she goes crazy for? If so use that toy for trading only they're more likely to respond when they get something they deem a higher value then what they already have

she doesn't really have a toy she goes crazy for. she doesn't really like playing with toys unless she's playing with it with someone or another dog. trading with treats even her favorite doesn't work anymore sadly. worked for a good week then she relieaved she wasn't getting the thing back lol

On 1/8/2018 at 2:53 AM, robke said:

do not put you pup in a crate as punishment find a different place we use for instance the hallway as time out place...only have to say hall now and they all go in there and they know they have done something wrong...did take a bit of training but is a solution... crate should be and must be imo a safe haven where a pup can go to when it wants or needs.. using it as a punishment as well as a safe haven will confuse your pup no end....

thank you, i'll try that 

• 2 weeks later...

My pup was trying to bite while playing. Totally unacceptable play. I have a crate so everytime she would start unacceptable play, biting, jumping on me. I would say no and put her in the crate. This is NOT punishing her. This is taking her out of the situation and giving her a little time out to calm down. Taking her away from the group on a little time out so she learns its not acceptable to bite.... she no longer bites, tries to play bite or get over excited and jump on me. And the crate is still her safe place.. she still goes in and out of it when she needs some quiet time or when I tell her to go to her crate when I'm going out or its bed time she has no problem going. Its still her safe place
Having a crate has really improved my puppies behaviour and she likes it. You must make sure to NEVER use it as a punishment. No yelling and getting mad then putting her in.. using as a calm way for a time out is what to do. I calmly tell her No and go to the crate. This isnt punishing her. This is showing her its not acceptable to bite. Its a time out not a negative punishment. I'm so glad I started crate training :) its really helped :)

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Archived