ShyLoh

Training Lead Length

I am possibly getting a new puppy come February. A purebred siberian husky. This is not going to be my first puppy, but I am looking for recommendations on length for training leads. For previous puppies, I have always used a 15 ft, but it seems like it was just a bit too short. I still have 2, 15 ft leads. I don't just use these leads for training, I also use them for simply taking outside to potty, so the pup has a bit more privacy but I can still have control over how far she goes, or the occasional "off leash" walk, while still being on leash. 

For taking out to go potty I think I will still use the 15 ft ones, but for everything else I was thinking maybe 30 ft, or even 50 ft? What does everyone else use for training or just everyday use? (My pup will also have a normal shorter leash)

You can get 100ft leads that have a ring on so u can half the length , eBay usually have them, you'll probably find the longer length better anyway as they can't be offlead

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

• Like 1

I use either a 30ft or a 50ft when training off leash or sled commands in the circle arena they seem to respond to it very nicely. What exactly are you training?? I don't use them for everyday use I only use them to train. I use a normal leash for everyday use.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

• Like 1

I use a normal 6 ft leash for everyday use also, but I like the longer leashes for potty training (so the pup has room to move around without me right behind her, while not having access to the entire yard) and off-leash training, and "off-leash" walks. Where I live there are lots of back roads and open fields that I usually like taking my dogs on walks at, and I like giving them more room to explore on these walks. Just simple walks around town, taking them somewhere, etc I will use a normal leash. 

I would eventually like to train this pup and one of my other dogs (Shiloh) to pull a small sled, and would use a training leash to do so. Over time I will probably pick up a few different sizes. I have a 15 ft one right now, will probably get a 50 ft one off amazon and go from there. 

• Like 1

i have a 6ft police lead on my walking belt for the streets and a 50ft lunging line for the big fields so Darwin can "roam"

I have the lunging line on my walking belt too so that if darwin gets a run up from 50ft behind to 50ft in front he isn't going to dislocate my shoulder or wrist

as he hits the end at full speed.

• Like 1