New Member From Maine

sinolav

Found this forum while searching for Huskies chewing on wood.\

We lost out 13+ year old Siberian Husky mix Lexi to bone cancer the beginning of this October.Lexie-6-9-06.thumb.JPG.1a397093e90632bfa6f6fa6cd09d7715.JPG

Our Vet called three weeks ago, asking if we would be open to adopting a year old Husky. We are now the proud friend of a wonderful Husky, Lola. We are her fourth home in a year, and she is a keeper.

P1020640.thumb.JPG.c0327eba4045cd4da1358ed2b43fb545.JPG

People just don't understand how much energy they have or how to help them mature. They are truelu wonderful companions.

Thank you all for the kind words and welcomes.

The picture of Lexi was when she was in her prime. I have to admit that she taught me so much about what is required to keep a Husky happy. If it wasn't for her, I wouldn't be able to have gotten Lola.

After Lexi passed, I met with our vet, a remarkable lady. I returned the Chinese herbals Lexi was taking to help her issues. Our vet practices traditional vet medicine, plus is schooled in Chinese medicine and acupuncture. I told her that if she came across another mixed black and white Husky I would consider having another companion. She called about two months later, said that she knew of a Husky that needed a loving home. She knew how well I took care of my friends, and said Lola needed a good home. She wanted to make sure I was ready so soon.

I told her we would like to meet Lola and see if she would fit into our "pack". Well, the third owners brought her over, and she and I were ready for each other.

The first week, she was very timid, and I noticed she did not like work gloves. I believe she was mis-treated by the second owner, because she cowered when I showed them to her. Lexi and Ralph, the companion before Lexi loved the gloves. It meant serious play time where they were allowed to get their aggression out. It took two weeks to get her to realize she could play with me wearing gloves, and now she has fun trying to take my hand away with her.

When we got Lola, she weighed 40 pounds and was skinny. The picture of her is after her first week. After the second week, I took her back to our Vet for a wellness checkup. Our Vet said she looked great, and did have concerns over how skinny she was at first. Well, Lola grew noticeably during her first two weeks with us, and went from 40 pounds to 54 pounds! No fat, just growth and good food.

She is getting comfortable with her new home, and walks around with that Husky smile on her face more and more. Sure is good to see.

Sorry for the length of the reply, lastly, I am writing a book about Lexi. A more remarkable soul she was. We still miss her and that decision to have her put to sleep was the most difficult decision I have ever had to make. She was also a 113 pound lap dog.

5a346f05b7161_Lexi-johnsinlap.thumb.jpg.bbd49f8d07c0cb18796f9b773f00a9c2.jpg

Welcome to you/your family and Lola. What a beauty.
They are a truly wonderful breed and incredibly unique. I adore their intelligence..
And subterfuge. And clownis antics (to win you over..)
One can never ever be complacent in their 'reckoning and think ' just a dog ' breed.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I feel your loss - the loss of a family companion is horrid...like a child grown up to be that close friend.
I remember all those of my own in adulthood, (10 so far) and those we couldn't save (from past horrors of trauma, abuse & neglect) of my parents' many orphans & fosters of wild animal species in Borneo, and all our family's adopted, too.
Each newcomer of whatever species but incl. a few hundred stray dogs over 19 yrs abroad, we took in, picked up, removed even from the odd household in real anger against their awful conditions ... we loved them all.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Found this forum while searching for Huskies chewing on wood.\
We lost out 13+ year old Siberian Husky mix Lexi to bone cancer the beginning of this October.Lexie-6-9-06.thumb.JPG.1a397093e90632bfa6f6fa6cd09d7715.JPG
Our Vet called three weeks ago, asking if we would be open to adopting a year old Husky. We are now the proud friend of a wonderful Husky, Lola. We are her fourth home in a year, and she is a keeper.
P1020640.thumb.JPG.c0327eba4045cd4da1358ed2b43fb545.JPG
People just don't understand how much energy they have or how to help them mature. They are truelu wonderful companions.
Very pretty dogIMG_20161008_200955939.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Archived