Getting a puppy!

Elyse

Hello everyone,

Daisy and I have been doing well, she just turned 2 years old a few months ago. She is such a good dog, Labs are awesome breeds.

I come bearing good news: I am getting a purebred German Shepherd puppy! Pick-up will be December 28th, so relatively soon. I made sure it is from a reputable breeder, who not only breeds and trains dogs for the police (working lines), but is also trying to correct the breed's sloped back through her breeding program. 

I would have posted pictures, but technically I don't know exactly which puppy I will be getting from the litter. The breeder matches the personality of the puppy up with the personality of the owner to make sure there is maximum compatibility, and while I stated I strongly prefer a male, it is not 100% guaranteed (although the odds are in my favour, 4 males and 3 females in the litter). So, instead, here is the sire and the dam. The pups are around 4 weeks old now.

TiaEinsDDLitter02.thumb.jpg.c6a6a0b69b2c1b660b9a996b67452a48.jpg

I have never owned a puppy before, and while I have been reading up on it and bought a few books, I'm sure I can rely on you guys for help, right? Even though the pup isn't a husky? I am most worried about the initial introduction to Daisy, how Daisy will react to the pup in general, and socialization. I know its a long road ahead of me, and I am both nervous and excited! 

It's a show line husky right?? And you have a lab you could just put the lab on a leash and let the puppy free and then you would see how they react. It shouldn't be a big deal labs are laid back dogs. [emoji2]

Sent from my Pixel using Husky Owners mobile app

Wait your getting a Working Line GSD?? Those require lots of work are often are you home and how many hours of training do you plan on doing. These dogs are not labs they a military/ police working dogs they require lots of stimulation as motivation along with a extremely good handler. How much do you know about the working line of GSDs??
Welcome to the pack [emoji177][emoji4]
I'm not trying to be judgement just very concerned. [emoji4]

51 minutes ago, Markie said:

It's a show line husky right?? And you have a lab you could just put the lab on a leash and let the puppy free and then you would see how they react. It shouldn't be a big deal labs are laid back dogs. emoji2.png

Wait your getting a Working Line GSD?? Those require lots of work are often are you home and how many hours of training do you plan on doing. These dogs are not labs they a military/ police working dogs they require lots of stimulation as motivation along with a extremely good handler. How much do you know about the working line of GSDs??
Welcome to the pack emoji177.pngemoji4.png
I'm not trying to be judgement just very concerned. emoji4.png

I understand, thanks for your concern. I will be home 24/7, I am unemployed so there is lots of time for training, exercise, socialization, etc. I don't have any personal experience with the breed, but I know how much work they take, and they need a good handler. That they need a job to do or they will get destructive. I plan to take him bikejoring when he's older. I have owned a husky in the past too, so I know how to deal with any stubborn-ness, the double coat, etc. 

If I do get a job, my parents are home all the time (with Daisy) and they can take care of him while I am at work. 

I understand, thanks for your concern. I will be home 24/7, I am unemployed so there is lots of time for training, exercise, socialization, etc. I don't have any personal experience with the breed, but I know how much work they take, and they need a good handler. That they need a job to do or they will get destructive. I plan to take him bikejoring when he's older. 

If I do get a job, my parents are home all the time (with Daisy) and they can take care of him while I am at work. 

Sorry I promise I didnt mean anything bad by it. [emoji4] That's all good news [emoji4] When do you get the puppy?? GSDs are amazing [emoji2][emoji2]

2 minutes ago, Markie said:

Sorry I promise I didnt mean anything bad by it. emoji4.png That's all good news emoji4.png When do you get the puppy?? GSDs are amazing emoji2.pngemoji2.png

Haha, its okay. We all want the best for the dogs, right? The pup will be ready to come home just before New Year's, around the 28th or the 29th. 

I'm assuming you own a GSD yourself?

Haha, its okay. We all want the best for the dogs, right? The pup will be ready to come home just before New Year's, around the 28th or the 29th. 

Yes we all do [emoji2][emoji179] It will be a Christmas Present aww that's adorable [emoji177][emoji179] The parents look Wonderful 🤗

No I don't but I'm buying next year. I live next to a military base and friends with people on there who work and train The WL of the GSD they really are fantastic [emoji4][emoji2]

German shepherds are wonderful dogs! They bond very closely with their person or people. Just like huskies, they need a lot of mental and physical stimulation to keep them happy and healthy, but if you are home a lot, that shouldn't be a big deal. Introducing your older dog to a new puppy shouldn't be a huge concern. When I got my second puppy, my dog (1 at the time) was very good with her. I didn't know how it would go since he can be dominant towards other male dogs (the puppy I was getting was a female) but he was perfect with her. They are best friends now. Sometimes if Shiloh gets carried away he will put her in her place, but usually it is nothing more then a growl or barred teeth, occasionally will snap, but past that nothing happens. 

My parents have a full lab and a lab mix and they both did great to meeting new puppies also. 

Good luck with your new furry friend! 

Good looking pair of Shepherds Elyse.

Awesome breed when reared properly.

Enjoy the adventure :up:

Welcome back!  Of course you can always stop by and ask questions ;)  I LOVE GSD's, and is the only other breed I would consider having besides Huskies and Mals. 

Glad to hear you and Daisy are doing well!  If you remember I had Nikko as a puppy, and when he was 9 months old I got another puppy Yukon, so I know allllll about it!  It should be interesting ;)  Good luck and I can't wait for pics!

Archived