Balls or no Balls  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Is your male dog castrated ?

• YES
    • NO

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey all!! I just wanted to APOLOGIZE if I offended anyone with what I said earlier in this thread about, "If you keep your dog off lead, you should be locked up & the key should be thrown away." Of course no one should be locked up and this was just kind of a joke but to try and enforce that folks really should keep their dogs on lead for their own safety and others.
Again, I apologize if I offended anyone.
ALL ~ HAVE A GREAT NIGHT!![emoji171][emoji179]

~ANGIE, ARMANI & ALINAH~

Dear Dan, I am sure you will work out current issue. I think Mowgli needs to adjust to new situation. Maybe he lost a little confidence in himself. And dogs can perfectly sense that, so those dogs off leash tried to take advantage of that. I am sure that with your love and support he will regain self-confidence. 

Thanks Aris, Yesterday went well with the behaviorist and they have given me alot of things to try. It seems they try to encourage avoidance rather than fixing the actual issue. This will work in controlled environments but not when off lead dogs are around. Ill see how we get on and keep everyone posted.

7 hours ago, ARMANI & ALINAH said:

Hey all!! I just wanted to APOLOGIZE if I offended anyone with what I said earlier in this thread about, "If you keep your dog off lead, you should be locked up & the key should be thrown away." Of course no one should be locked up and this was just kind of a joke but to try and enforce that folks really should keep their dogs on lead for their own safety and others.
ALL ~ HAVE A GREAT NIGHT!!emoji171.pngemoji179.png

~ANGIE, ARMANI & ALINAH~

No need to apologise. I like people which speak their mind and are passionate about there animals. Never stop. :D

Hi Dan, glad it went well yesterday, Emma suggested I do the same at first, walk away from an oncoming dog, purely to keep Luka less stressed and then we worked on ‘settle’ at home, in the garden and lastly on walks, using this and distraction techniques has made a massive difference to walks and being around other dogs. They suggest you go back to basics and then build them up with new ideas of training. One thing that was helpful with avoidance was that Luka’s cortisol levels weren’t as high which meant he was a lot calmer. He actually greeted and was playful with another husky on a walk last night, I wouldn’t have attempted that without behavioural training. Good luck with Mowgli’s behavioural training. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

Glad it went well, there are no quick fixes just time and patience ( someone tell our dogs that!!)
I have alot of off lead dogs running up to Amy, thankfully she hasnt got a growl in her but its hard work holding on and trying to get her to calm down while the off lead owner watches or just says “ she looks like a handful” [emoji33][emoji33][emoji33]

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

9 hours ago, ARMANI & ALINAH said:

ALL ~ HAVE A GREAT NIGHT!!emoji171.pngemoji179.png

~ANGIE, ARMANI & ALINAH~

Angie, of course people know you did not literally mean to lock people up if they have their dog off lead. But it does show the amount of frustration it causes some people who do have their dogs on lead and their dogs come running over causing all sorts of trouble. My son use to be afraid of the school bus because of the neighbor letting their dogs run free with no supervision. They use to bite him on the ankles. He didn't tell me for years. When he did, I confronted the neighbors and said it has to stop now or I'm gonna report your dogs.  They said their dogs wouldn't bite anyone. Just as they said that, their dog ran up to  my son and started to bite him but I was there this time and kicked it across the yard. They  finally put up a fence. I have 20 acres and walk my dogs on my own property and still have to deal with all the surrounding neighbors dogs who are never secured coming over to our land and running up to my dogs while we are walking. It drives me absolutely crazy!!! You do not need to apologise for anything that you said. I have said it before and I will say it again. I physically cringe when I see a photo of a dog off lead or hear someone say how their dog is always off lead, especially a husky. Yes for a multitude of safety reasons and also for proper social etiquette on the streets. 

Am i missing something? Surely dogs off lead isnt a bad thing if they have good recall etc?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Husky Owners mobile app

Okay that's a point to you but if the dogs aren't listening in a public area which is what usually happens because dogs get over excited they need to be on a leash [emoji4]

Sent from my Pixel using Husky Owners mobile app

Glad it went well, there are no quick fixes just time and patience ( someone tell our dogs that!!)
I have alot of off lead dogs running up to Amy, thankfully she hasnt got a growl in her but its hard work holding on and trying to get her to calm down while the off lead owner watches or just says “ she looks like a handful” [emoji33][emoji33][emoji33]

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Somebody actually said that to you while there dogs are of leash hahahaha oh wow people these days :eyeroll:

It wouldn't be a problem if they had 100 percent control over their dog but they don't. And the ones that think they do act so surprised when they come to find out that they really don't. It is just always good to have control of your dog when you are out in a public place. You truly never know what can happen. 

Dude I know uses a collar...only for vibration and sound, no shock. He puts it on once a month to remind them...other times they are as good as gold. Seems a good way to go if you want them off lead.

I don't use collars teaching off lead. I found squeak out of a squeaker toy works well but I'm not naive enough to believe my huskies would come back to me in a public area lol or any dog for that matter because they get excited Hipper lick everyone's face kind of thing lol

6 minutes ago, Arjun 2016 said:

Dude I know uses a collar...only for vibration and sound, no shock. He puts it on once a month to remind them...other times they are as good as gold. Seems a good way to go if you want them off lead.

Does he have a husky?

Am i missing something? Surely dogs off lead isnt a bad thing if they have good recall etc?

And the other issue with off lead dogs is how do the owners know where they’ve done their poop to be able to pick it up!

2 minutes ago, Arjun 2016 said:

One husky and one mal

I would never trust a husky off lead for their personal safety against running into traffic, getting shot at and mistaken for a coyote or a wolf, getting picked up and stolen by a stranger, etc..... And also for the safety of the multitude of small and large animals that can be attacked by them due to their strong prey instinct and the fact that they were bred to run fast and far in a short amount of time. My Tasha once took down a goat from a farmers pasture. That was NOT a pleasant come get your dog conversation. So it is not just cats and squirrels you have to worry about. Again, I will say it is never a good idea to trust a husky off lead. 

Oh and she was 2 towns away within a short amount of time. I was wondering how she got there so fast.

I would never trust a husky off lead for their personal safety against running into traffic, getting shot at and mistaken for a coyote or a wolf, getting picked up and stolen by a stranger, etc..... And also for the safety of the multitude of small and large animals that can be attacked by them due to their strong prey instinct and the fact that they were bred to run fast and far in a short amount of time. My Tasha once took down a goat from a farmers pasture. That was NOT a pleasant come get your dog conversation. So it is not just cats and squirrels you have to worry about. Again, I will say it is never a good idea to trust a husky off lead. 
Oh and she was 2 towns away within a short amount of time. I was wondering how she got there so fast.

Mine are off lead in 40 acres across my house they can't get out of the fence not that they go that far lol [emoji23][emoji23]

One husky and one mal

My 2 LOVE their treats, but if they see a cat/squirrel/mouse even food doesn't bring them back, and that's just in my back garden! So I doubt very much a vibrating collar is going to do much good. Huskies have an extremely high prey drive which stems back from them having to hunt for themselves in the summer when they were not being used as sled dogs. Not much, if anything, is going to switch that off!
Astros dad 'always came back' until the day he didn't, and got shot by a farmer. It's just not worth the risk
I also think all dogs should be on leads at all times unless they are in a designated dog area. I nearly ran over a dog last week because he was off lead and wanted to go and see a dog on the other side of the road, and Koda goes crazy at off lead dogs which sets off Astro too making them hard to control. People are so inconsiderate, there's a mountain near here called Moel Famau with sheep everywhere, the farmer has made posters showing his sheep after they've been attacked by dogs, asking for all dogs to be kept on lead. Last time I went, 60% of dogs were off lead! Rarr! Rant over

4 minutes ago, Rachael_Astro said:

My 2 LOVE their treats, but if they see a cat/squirrel/mouse even food doesn't bring them back, and that's just in my back garden! So I doubt very much a vibrating collar is going to do much good. Huskies have an extremely high prey drive which stems back from them having to hunt for themselves in the summer when they were not being used as sled dogs. Not much, if anything, is going to switch that off!
Astros dad 'always came back' until the day he didn't, and got shot by a farmer. It's just not worth the risk
I also think all dogs should be on leads at all times unless they are in a designated dog area. I nearly ran over a dog last week because he was off lead and wanted to go and see a dog on the other side of the road, and Koda goes crazy at off lead dogs which sets off Astro too making them hard to control. People are so inconsiderate, there's a mountain near here called Moel Famau with sheep everywhere, the farmer has made posters showing his sheep after they've been attacked by dogs, asking for all dogs to be kept on lead. Last time I went, 60% of dogs were off lead! Rarr! Rant over

That is horrible about Astro's dad. I am so sorry to hear that. 😢 

I'm so sorry that happened to Astros dad [emoji51] but the rant was cute hahaha [emoji4]

Archived