Bringing Up A Rescue Husky

yellowbard

Hi, this is Astro, a 2 year old rescue Husky. We got him from Dogs Trust after doing a lot of research on the breed, and realising it would be a real life changer taking home this, our first dog. Dogs Trust had no information on why he was put into the kennels, all they new is he came over from Ireland with his Mum.

What has amazed me is the strength in his walking, I'm working hard to get him to walk at a slower speed but would appreciate any help on this one! He's been a bit of a noisy boy at night but we have started playing him music on the TV all night and he seems to settle a lot better.

I am sure I will be on here quite a lot looking for help, so for now, its great to meet you all and thanks in advance for all the help I know I will get

My dog2.jpg

Hi and welcome he’s a lovely boy!
Well done for rescueing
I have an 18 month old rescue Amy, she has been with us for 9 months now,.
All I can say about the walking is lead training, stop, start when lead goes slack and not before I have spent alot of time standing still!! keep changing direction to keep him guessing, it can be tedious and means you may not get far on a walk but its worth it, I wont say its 100% as if Amy gets excited ( often!!) she can pull like a train!
You can also get head collars to help as a training tool, the ones that attach to the lead behind the ears are best as they dont wrench their neck check out Indi dog, she makes them to order so fit really well and you get a discount being a member on this forum

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Well done for taking on a rescue. We need more people like you [emoji106]. In regards to howling at night, this is normal and will stop eventually [emoji10]. Do what I do and walk him more so he’s so tried to make a noise. The walking is a thing which comes in time. Jo’s right on point with how to start training him. Some people use head collars and say they help but I personally dont like them. You could use a harness with a front ring which helps but you are better to try and get him walking correctly on a collar. Good luck with the training and have fun.

P.s. looks like a Malamute to me and the brown eyes confirm it. You can get dna test done for around £40 if you want to know for 100%. Either way he’s a handsome chap [emoji847]

Hi, what a beauty, he looks as tho he’s wearing a Santa beard!
This breed are notorious pullers, they have a very high prey drive and will pull you if they see a cat, a squirrel, a rabbit, a paper bag etc, you’ll need to have your eyes peeled on a walk to avoid being dragged! I’ve used head collars, esp after my hand operations and its all about safety, for you and for them. When I walk my two I have the harness on and collar with a double ended clip lead attached to both, indi-dog site have some great harnesses, leads, collars etc.
They don’t like being left on their own for too long and they can be very destructive if bored.
Good luck with training Astro, you’re in for some fun!

Hi and WELCOME [emoji191] [emoji252] Awesome job of rescuing [emoji179][emoji177] He looks big and brown eyes I'm going to say half/ half. Half husky half Malamute it's really hard to tell sometimes between those breeds [emoji3] He is very handsome and I'm so happy for you. One thing you could do is teach him differences in speeds. You make him walk run trot either of this gaits. Calm them what they are and what you want him to do. I do this with puppies making them run in circles and I control the speed. You could also just put him on a long line for about an hour to let him run some of that energy out [emoji191][emoji252] Training is fun so have a great time [emoji3][emoji177][emoji177][emoji179][emoji179]

Sent from my Pixel using Husky Owners mobile app

Welcome to the pack , I used a walkyourdogwithlove non pull harness to train my boy , he now walks lovely n no longer needs it , I only use it now if it's icy out so I have a bit of extra control incase they see a cat or another dog

Sent from my E6653 using Husky Owners mobile app

Hello Yellowbard, good to know you’ve also adopted from the DogsTrust, I am too in the process of adopting a Husky from the DogsTrust, my potential Husky also came from Ireland, with little information about his 3 years as a stray. 

He looks handsome good luck with the walk training, I’ve that to come yet, welcome to the forum. 

Archived