Weird Fur???

Buddynub

Hey all! New member here! Proud mama of a 5 yr/o red Siberian/Wolf mix, 10 month white Siberian/mix(?) and a 6 yr/o Staffordshire pitBull Terrier. 

Meeko is our 10 month old, and he was a pound rescue. Question is: why is his fur like this and what can we do to get it not like this? His fur feels like lamb or sheep fur, some places around his spine and face are soft and longer (feels more like how husky fur should feel)  We have tried brushing them but it doesn’t seem to do much except just rip everything out and cause him pain. 

Advice is oh so appreciated!! 

0BE0A7D6-0810-4961-B02F-CFBF9662962F.jpeg

508E12CF-13FC-4C0D-B84B-C29DFBCFC435.jpeg

3C1CB2ED-B9B7-4292-B9F2-924E79C03541.jpeg

Hi, he’s gorgeous! My 2 have fur around their butts like that. Do you use a rake to get rid of excess fur? Never use a furminator on husky fur, it drags the fur out. Definitely take to a groomer, correct me if I’m wrong, on the first pic are there bald spots on his belly? If so maybe a trip to the vet may be needed to make sure everything ok with his skin. I give my 2 salmon and their fur is silky soft and shiny, there are supplements you could try if you feed kibble that will have the same effect.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

as the others have said just needs a lot of brushing might be a groomers job but you could do it yourself  with a comb or rake style brush even if it taes a month to get it all done

personaly i dont use groomers just brush my own dogs lets you have a cuddle and check for cuts lumps etc

Hi, he’s gorgeous! My 2 have fur around their butts like that. Do you use a rake to get rid of excess fur? Never use a furminator on husky fur, it drags the fur out. Definitely take to a groomer, correct me if I’m wrong, on the first pic are there bald spots on his belly? If so maybe a trip to the vet may be needed to make sure everything ok with his skin. I give my 2 salmon and their fur is silky soft and shiny, there are supplements you could try if you feed kibble that will have the same effect.

He does have some bald spots on his tummy from the mats. We don’t know too much about him, but assume he was tied up outside the entire time before his life with us. It’s why we have a hard time brushing him cause they are sensitive- but don’t bother him any other time. We have just recently started salmon oil!

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

Salmon oil is really good and you will see a difference in his fur condition. I don’t use a groomer myself but using one for Meeko, even if it’s just the once, may make it easier for you to start brushing him. Maybe he was lying down a lot and this is why his fur looks s little like dreadlocks on his belly. He’s a big bundle of fluff!

Bindi has this every now and then a good brushing does the trick with her need a lot of treats with her and patience on our side and after that she is a good as new...normally happens with her when it has been damp...

10 hours ago, chelseafan said:

I was told to get one of these when we had keta. We also looked up on the internet which tools to get and loads say to get this. So I should not use this on her please help as we only got this and a rubber  zoom groom . Would like to now what is best to use on her coat.

I was told to get one of these when we had keta. We also looked up on the internet which tools to get and loads say to get this. So I should not use this on her please help as we only got this and a rubber  zoom groom . Would like to now what is best to use on her coat.

Depends which furnimator you got , furnimator is the brand , if u got the one with the blade then don't use it , the rake is fine , I use a mikki undercoat rake on my 2

This one (or any that look like this as they do different sizes) u don't wanna use

57444fc4cab413c6a49a9273944f5adb.jpg

But this one is ok

d7ba485c85eef440b03fa3765120ef60.jpg

Sent from my E6653 using Husky Owners mobile app

I'm just wondering if going to a Groomer "one time" would help the start. The groomer could use "thinning clippers" LIGHTLY on the belly to gently break up some of the mats...this should not be painful as the groomer would not shave but use thinning tools. Then you could continue the upkeep every other day.

~ANGIE, ARMANI & ALINAH~

3 hours ago, BingBlaze n Skyla said:

Depends which furnimator you got , furnimator is the brand , if u got the one with the blade then don't use it , the rake is fine , I use a mikki undercoat rake on my 2

This one (or any that look like this as they do different sizes) u don't wanna use

57444fc4cab413c6a49a9273944f5adb.jpg

But this one is ok

d7ba485c85eef440b03fa3765120ef60.jpg

Thanks bingbaze and skyla  we have the top one unfortunately as this is what we saw people on the internet use on their huskies and thought it what all use that  thank you again will look for the other one now a groomer we spoke to last week to book her in said bring you tools and I will show you how to use them correctlyvbut if you got a furminator don't use it so that's why u asked on here . Thanks again .

Thanks bingbaze and skyla  we have the top one unfortunately as this is what we saw people on the internet use on their huskies and thought it what all use that  thank you again will look for the other one now a groomer we spoke to last week to book her in said bring you tools and I will show you how to use them correctlyvbut if you got a furminator don't use it so that's why u asked on here . Thanks again .

Glad I could help , yes unfortunately a lot of people think it's great n don't realise it actually cuts the fur , the rake gently pulls the loose coat out , it's the only tool i use on mine and skyla is a wooly coat so very thick fur

57444fc4cab413c6a49a9273944f5adb.jpg&key=6e08c7f546b9489221296f8d05d509a4b5b3deb1dba265d171c6c764cb8026ea

But this one is ok
d7ba485c85eef440b03fa3765120ef60.jpg&key=e76306261cc2efbd30115af0d53ef56ead7c5f4447a31ba6dce80c7aa2392187

I know the furminator that cuts isn't very good for huskies that have wholly coats because it doesn't get down very far. It will just cut the top. The rake is really good. You could buy a double rake that doesn't cut and get more fur out. I just think with the mats being so bad and in one place a groomer visit would be good to get them out then you could groom him from that point on [emoji4][emoji4]

Sent from my Pixel using Husky Owners mobile app

Archived