Newbie saying Hi.

Czar

Thank you to Paul, Markie and Armani & alinah for your honesty, since I opened this thread I have more information about Manny. 

He was a roaming stray in Ireland, suspected to be about 3 years of age, he has had one rehoming attempt with a family who probably didn’t understand or research the breed, Manny defended himself 4 times in the families garden as he wouldn’t come when called and the owner grabbed Manny’s collar so Manny on four separate occasions did bite the owner, nothing serious but nevertheless 4 separate biting incidents, all owner handling issues, so Manny was returned to the dogstrust. 

Manny is currently undergoing behavioural training at the centre. 

Anyone see any future problems ? 

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No there won't be a problem just get him and do what your going to do. Biting is his way of saying hey leave me along but if they are allowed to get away with that they will do it forever. Show him you are different and wont put up with it [emoji2] make it all positive and keep him on a leash tell his recall is good in a fenced in yard and Everytime he doesn't listen put him back on a leash for a couple of days [emoji2]

Sent from my Pixel using Husky Owners mobile app

Thank you robke, it does appear that off the leash for Huskies is a no, and that makes me feel a little Sad at the thought of your dog permanently tethered when out of the confines of your secluded garden, I am still drawn towards Manny, I just really don’t know what to do for the best. 

I have 2 husky boys and its been a fantastic nearly 2 years since having them. Husky’s CANNOT be trusted off lead but that doesn’t mean they are tethered up all the time either. I take my 2 everywhere with me, on trains, in the van, we take long walks in the countryside, climb small mountains, cycle with them, all kinds of outdoor pursuits. We have a fantastic off lead dog agility field close to us which we take them to 2-3 times a week, they have 30 or 60 mins running around like a pair of lunatics and they love it. The only thing I will add is that you have to be 100% committed to caring for this breed, if you’re not then a husky is not for you. Good luck with whatever your breed of choice. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

My dog is 3/4 Siberian Husky and 1/4 Samoyed. But to look at him one would think he is 100% husky. He is almost one year old and is my first dog. He needs a lot of exercise and this is done on-lead. I may try him off-lead when he's older, but I will be investing in a tracker just in case he goes missing.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Husky Owners mobile app

My dog is 3/4 Siberian Husky and 1/4 Samoyed. But to look at him one would think he is 100% husky. He is almost one year old and is my first dog. He needs a lot of exercise and this is done on-lead. I may try him off-lead when he's older, but I will be investing in a tracker just in case he goes missing.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Husky Owners mobile app

Sadly a tracker wont stop him going on a main road tho, I think they urge to run increases with age?

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

I am in Yorkshire, Gods county. 

I was just wondering about breed traits mainly those that might be different compared to other breeds too , I have a small inkling my girl might be part Sammy , I always get asked even by Samoyed owners if she's a cross but I was given her as a pure sibe but she's VERY fluffy and doesn't act like a typical sibe

Sent from my E6653 using Husky Owners mobile app

I was just wondering about breed traits mainly those that might be different compared to other breeds too , I have a small inkling my girl might be part Sammy , I always get asked even by Samoyed owners if she's a cross but I was given her as a pure sibe but she's VERY fluffy and doesn't act like a typical sibe

You could get her DNA tested through Embark it's the most reliable but if she has papers she is full blooded [emoji2]

You could get her DNA tested through Embark it's the most reliable but if she has papers she is full blooded [emoji2]

Yeah I've been at the vets too much in the past 2 months to even think about paying for a dna test , that's why i was wondering about breed traits

Yeah I've been at the vets too much in the past 2 months to even think about paying for a dna test , that's why i was wondering about breed traits

That's a good point 🙂 Skyla is still doing good?? What I know about Samoyeds is they are Alert, and really good around kids. I found you a website [emoji4] Just keep scrolling down the page it tells the differences. [emoji4]
http://dogs.petbreeds.com/compare/134-142/Samoyed-vs-Siberian-Husky

That's a good point 🙂 Skyla is still doing good?? What I know about Samoyeds is they are Alert, and really good around kids. I found you a website [emoji4] Just keep scrolling down the page it tells the differences. [emoji4]
http://dogs.petbreeds.com/compare/134-142/Samoyed-vs-Siberian-Husky

Thanks :) she's fine it's my rats I'm constantly at the vets for atm , one is going tomorrow too it's never ending

Thanks [emoji4] she's fine it's my rats I'm constantly at the vets for atm , one is going tomorrow too it's never ending

Your rats are adorable [emoji4] They are so strong [emoji4] Hopefully once they all get this all done with you won't have to go back again. I don't know much about rats [emoji5]️

Your rats are adorable [emoji4] They are so strong [emoji4] Hopefully once they all get this all done with you won't have to go back again. I don't know much about rats [emoji5]️

Thanks , sadly pancakes isn't doing so well so tomorrow is going to potentially be a horrible day for us but the other girls are doing well

Thanks , sadly pancakes isn't doing so well so tomorrow is going to potentially be a horrible day for us but the other girls are doing well

Just stay calm tomorrow NIX! I will be praying for the best!! [emoji120][emoji120] Maybe she will get over it by tonight and be just fine [emoji4][emoji4]

Just stay calm tomorrow NIX! I will be praying for the best!! [emoji120][emoji120] Maybe she will get over it by tonight and be just fine [emoji4][emoji4]

Sadly it's not something she can get over she has a tumor but it's grown a lot since we found it (sadly it's unoperable) and she has now got sores on it from it rubbing on the floor when she's walking :(

Sadly it's not something she can get over she has a tumor but it's grown a lot since we found it (sadly it's unoperable) and she has now got sores on it from it rubbing on the floor when she's walking [emoji20]

Oh I'm sorry [emoji17] Just hang in there. You have two Beautiful huskies and your other rats [emoji4] Try thinking of something happy [emoji4][emoji4]

After a very hectic weekend meeting quite a few Husky's and owners I must be true not only to myself but Manny at the dogsTrust too,  I have read and reread all your posts, and would like to thank everyone for your honesty, I have made my decision albeit not easy, the husky breed is sadly not for me, that said, I will stay on the forum and if anyone has queries about the Samoyed breed please feel free to ask. 

@CZAR
Yes, it is sad, but some times in life, TIMING is EVERYTHING!! Maybe right now isn't the right time. But never give up HOPE ok!! (Your honesty in itself is worth everything.) So if you ever do decide to get a Husky OR even a HUSKY "MIX", you will be AWESOME caring for it for life!! You could always get the best of both worlds...a Samoyed/Husky!! (I love Samoyeds and we have one almost 18yrs old...my Dad's baby.)
Just remember, finding a puppy or dog around 1or2yrs old does not and should not be a rush. I commend you for your honesty and decision!!
Good luck. You may always change your mind!![emoji120] [emoji171][emoji274][emoji252]

~ANGIE, ARMANI & ALINAH~

As sad as your decision is, I think you’ve made the right choice. You’ve obviously given it a lot of thought and it would be unfair to take Manny only to find caring for him isn’t for you and then he’d find himself back to square one. Like you said you have to be true to yourself and to Manny. Good luck with your choice of breed, (prob a Sammy, [emoji3]) please post of pic if and when you get a pup/dog. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Just read through your posts and I do think you have made the right decision. It's great that you're looking at rescue dogs, keep visiting dogs trust and I'm sure you'll find the right dog!
Personally I don't think any dog should be allowed off lead, it would prevent all kinds of problems

Thank you all for your kind words, however there is an update, I don’t know what it is about Manny, but friends and colleagues and the general consensus is that I have what it takes to offer Manny his forever home, so I’m going to see Manny Thursday, and IF Manny accepts me, It will be a win win situation for both Manny and I, if Manny rejects me then it’s back to square one. 

5 minutes ago, Jo said:

Wow 180 turn around!!
Its a rollercoaster ride but so worth it
Hope you and Manny hit it off emoji4.png

A rollercoaster ride I’m prepared for. 

Archived