Newbie saying Hi.

Czar

Tail update; still ongoing tests, anal glands were almost empty, still had them squeezed empty nevertheless, finally managed to retrieve enough urine for sample tests, furthermore the vet did spinal, hip and tail manipulation, no signs of problem or reaction from Manny, however he was muzzled just in case, awaiting test results from the urine before any further action regarding his tail, the vet did say he might have some nerve damage at the base, that said I guess it’s just speculation at this time. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tail update and a question; urine samples came back all clear, we were given anti inflammatory, however after one dose severe diaorreah so that had to stop, as instructed by the vet, really not sure what to do next with his tail, I guess the speculation of nerve damage is looking possible only time will tell. 

Feeding and pooing; even though I’m doing my very best to get Manny (Czar his new name) into a regular routine, he won’t eat until after his walks and his walks are considerably lengthy on average 4 miles each walk, they need to be at least this length before he even considers a poo, and sometimes we return home without pooing and then within a short time frame he demands to go out again, and it’s approximately 2 miles of walking before he finally poos. 

Is this normal or am I doing something wrong ? 

It will take him a while , skyla never used to poop in new places she'd always wait till we were home blaze still doesn't poop on walks unless he's desperate he'll always wait till he's home, just praise him when he does go outside, eventually his confidence will build n he'll just go :)
Mine always have their dinner around 15-30 mins after a walk

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

Eating after a walk goes back to their hunting days! Make sure you leave a gap of about 30 minutes after walking him before you feed him or he might get bloat, there is also a risk of that if you feed before a walk

Astro didn't poop on a walk for about 3 years! And since I've had Koda he prefers to poop on the walk instead of the garden. Koda hasn't done one at all when we have been out since I've had him

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Hi, Cai always poops on the chippings in the garden, you can set your clock by him, Luka on the other hand poops on walks 30 mins into it or over an hour later, never at the same time. As already mentioned, leave at least half an hour after or before for feeding.
How you getting on with him? [emoji3]

Bindi poos within 5 mins of any walk... Alpha is normally within 15 mins... If I do not feed them straight after walk they break the house down LOL...always have done this btw with all our dogs never had any problems with it ever...

Thank you all who replied, the not pooing is getting worse, today our first walk was at 06:20 our last walk today ended at 22:40 it has taken this long for him to finally poo, and his stool was soft, he has farted all day long and the smell has progressively gotten worse until I could stand it no longer at 22:15 it seems he’s holding on to his poo, I’m not overly worried about his health just yet, so before I go to the vets, could it be a mental problem ? 

I ask as walking him 6-7 times a day for 2-3 miles at a time in order for him to poo is not doing me or him any good. 

I just feed him Wainwrights kibble. 

Some dogs just don't like to go when they're out, like I say Koda has never done it either and he definitely doesn't have any mental problems! If he's having problems with his tail though maybe it's hurting him to poop

Walking usually gets the bowels moving, could you phone the vet for advice? Could you try him on a raw diet? Or raw beef bones, Morrison’s stock them and they cost anywhere between £1.50 - £3.
Hope you get it sorted. [emoji3]

I’d be mixing in raw food with his kibble as I believe raw is the best you can do for a dog. Wainwright's certainly is one of the better kibbles but I guess it’s going to be guesswork as to what he was raised on. The pooping, well, I’d not sweat it to be honest. From the Little I know about huskies, like you I have rehomed a mature dog, they take a deal of time making up their minds about a lot of things. I’m learning from Luna rather than the other way round. There are certain meats she will eat readily (raw chicken) and some only if she’s got nothing else (raw beef mince) some she just won’t eat, raw heart, and some that she eats sometimes but not always. She really likes the dehydrated veg and liver mixer from Natures menu, not so hot on the meat version. Pooing, well, we had quite a few indoors when we first got her, anxiety I think, and peeing the same, on walks she will sometimes and not others, when she she walks the streets I’ve not known her go at all on the pavement. I think you need to relax, I’m sure Czar, once he’s settled, will let you know if he needs to go. Once you are familiar with each other and both have begun to trust the behaviour will settle into more of a routine. One thing I’ve learned, huskies won’t be pushed lol. I really love Luna, I’m her alpha in the sense that I do pretty much everything for her but she greets my hubby far more affectionately than she does me lol. Who knows why, as we know nothing about her previous routines and habits we can only try to do our best and that will go for your dog too. The only thing that will be necessary is to train out the behaviours you really don’t want and hopefully there won’t be many or maybe even any.

When you rehome a dog it’s warts and all [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you all who replied, the not pooing is getting worse, today our first walk was at 06:20 our last walk today ended at 22:40 it has taken this long for him to finally poo, and his stool was soft, he has farted all day long and the smell has progressively gotten worse until I could stand it no longer at 22:15 it seems he’s holding on to his poo, I’m not overly worried about his health just yet, so before I go to the vets, could it be a mental problem ? 
I ask as walking him 6-7 times a day for 2-3 miles at a time in order for him to poo is not doing me or him any good. 
I just feed him Wainwrights kibble. 

Hi Czar, how’s Manny getting on?
Just a thought, I remember you mentioning problems with his tail at one point and his problems with pooping, just a thought, the muscles at the base of the tail help him empty his bowels and bladder so if this is compromised he may suffer temporary or permanent incontinence or constipation.
I hope everything is ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

Good afternoon chelseafan, when out walking he carries his tail in a straight line at the height of his spine and no higher, when he gets really excited when encountering wildlife he can raise his tail slightly higher and will wag it ever so gently, that said this is not often at all, even when I have had to leave him for an hour or two at home alone, upon my return he will greet me but with a limp tail, only very occasionally will he talk (husky growl) but doesn’t raise or wag his tail, I guess that’s just how he is. 

As for pooing, he won’t poo in the garden no matter what, and he always has to poo in a different area each and every time, I feed him the same times everyday, walk him at the same times everyday, yet his pooing behaviour is inconsistent and we are having to cover more mileage before he will eventually poo, our daily walking mileage is now an average of 18.3 miles. 

Im at a loss as is the vet. 

Hi, after your post about his tail I started to do abit of research on tails and I came across some info that said there’s a correlation between problems with the muscles at the base of the tail and poopy issues.
Wow, 18+ miles, I hope you have some good walking boots!! That is a lot of mileage [emoji3]
Has he met the GSD yet?
Please post pics if you can.

Good afternoon chelseafan, thank you for researching about tails, since my last post and you’re research, Czar has started to poo easier without putting in the mileage, however that said, we did do 21.8 miles on Wednesday gone, and that seems to have helped, he had a good clear out of his bowls. 

He still doesn’t carry his tail high, yet he certainly can hold it high and wag it slightly when excited, he only gets excited when he discovers prey, so it seems to be a little better. 

I’m ex RAF and only wear Lowa military boots, and have done for over 25 years I also team these up with the Darntough socks from Vermont USA, and it’s a winning combination. 

EC83B16B-E109-4181-937D-BC6419B8A3E3.jpeg

Yes Czar has met the GSD and they most certainly do NOT get on, the GSD is the aggressor. 

Hi, glad he’s getting there with pooping, you certainly do some serious mileage!
Shame the GSD is aggressive, they could have played well together.
I hope everything continues to work out well for you and Czar [emoji3]

3 hours ago, Luna-tic said:

Have you tried taking them out together on neutral ground?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have tried numerous times, and the GSD really does not like Czar, so rather than keep upsetting both dogs, we no longer bring them together  

• 4 months later...

Progress update, 8 months in to a life long partnership and Czar (Manny) is finally starting to settle down and trust me, that said he still challenges me daily in different ways, as for accepting dogs as friends and not enemies especially with my partners GSD, there is good news, although we did give up bringing them together as there was too much aggression from the GSD which resulted in retaliation from Czar, we had run out of ideas. 

Now I am very lucky to have a home in Norway which is in the arctic circle so Czar and I went home to Norway, just us, leaving behind my partner and her GSD, 4 months of metre + deep snow and seeing reindeer daily and occasionally meeting the sled dogs, Czar seemed to take on a different mind set, whilst at home in Norway Czar has free run of a very very large garden which pleased him as he really could run free and mad as you know Huskies can and do, whilst out walking in and around the mountains Czar was attached to a 100 metre line, this gave him the free running room he needed to explore, and enough distance to loose sight of me at times which at first didn't bother him, but eventually he would back track to find me, he now doesn't like to be out of sight, good thing. 

During our stay whilst out walking we met another Husky which was a pet and not a working sled dog, at first Czar was a little reserved and quite vocal too, the more we met the more Czar befriended the Husky to the point they played in the snow together without any aggression whatsoever, wow I thought, progress at last, the more we met the better at playing Czar got, some of you will at this point be thinking Czar needs another Husky friend in his life, yes he possibly does, but at this moment in time there is too much happening in my life (buying a new home) to dedicate the necessary time to another Husky. 

Back home here in the UK after our time in Norway my partner and I decided to see if and it was a Big IF Czar would indeed accept and befriend the GSD, so rather than the usual park/s walk, I asked one of my farmer friends if we could have access to his arable fields, about 40 acres of unrestricted open free running, and after a few snarles from the GSD they suddenly decided to play together, occasionally the female GSD putting Czar in his place, but now they play very well together whilst out in free space yet sadly the GSD is still too guarding with Czar back at home in my garden, Czar doesn't retaliate at all to the guarding of the GSD , really not sure how to stop the GSD from being so guarding in close proximity, and as they say that's all for now folks. 

How lovely to hear he’s doing so well, sounds like you are doing a great job [emoji3]

Hi Czar, Norway sounds heavenly [emoji3] Totally unrelated but 2 friends went to see killer wales last year in Norway and we’re hoping to go next year, it’s one of my life long ambitions to see killer wales in their natural habitat. Anyway, enough about that, it sounds as tho you and Czar have bonded and had a great time together, I’m so pleased it’s worked out for you. That’s great progress for Czar playing with the GSD off lead, it’s natural behaviour for the GSD to guard and as long as Czar doesn’t retaliate I’d say job well done with Czar. Thanks for the update, it has passed my mind how you’ve both been getting along. [emoji3]

Archived