Newbie saying Hi.

Czar

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you to everyone for their kind words, today was a success, the DogsTrust staff are happy with what I can offer for Manny, Manny seems to recognise me a little, that said, treats certainly help focus Manny’s attention, so one day next week Manny will be coming to my forever home. 

A few questions: Manny is currently on a Wainwrights kibble, is it best to stay with Kibble or introduce raw feeding, what do Husky’s do best on ? 

Any recommendations for Harnesses, long leashes and home kennels ? 

have a look at our sponsor Indi Dog for harnesses long lines walking belts etc....you can even get a discount... as far as food is concerned a good grain free kibble is best or if you want to raw feed do so.. I use a Holistic pellet made by farm food which is also available in the UK..http://www.farmfood.co.uk/dogfood/premium-quality/holistic-natural-dogfood.html

Oh thats great news
As Rob said try indi dog its all made to measure I love mine!
I feed Amy Guru its a cold pressed kibble made in the UK and she’s doing really well on it

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

I would do the Indi harnesses from here that you get a discount on just for being on this site [emoji4] And anything grain free for kibble. Raw is good but takes a lot of time to get right and huskies are picky some will eat something and others won't. I would stick with the kibble [emoji6]

Sent from my Pixel using Husky Owners mobile app

Great news! Definitely indi-dog for harnesses, leads etc. I use the vari-harnesses on both of mine, you can adjust to fit which is great when they get their winter coat. I feed raw and my 2 prefer that than kibble. If you wanted to change to another kibble or try raw you’d be better changing slowly otherwise Manny might have tummy issues.
Really happy for you. [emoji3]

Thank you Jo & Markie, when I visit Manny Thursday IF all goes well, Thursday won’t be the day Manny comes home with me, I will need to go through the adoption process, not sure quite what this involves with the DogsTrust, they did mention a home visit, but as I’m 161 miles from the centre, this is not possible, so I’ve forwarded images of my garden etc etc, just hoping for a positive result. 

They will definitely have to do a home check, are there any other centres near you?

There are husky only rescues across the U.K., the huskies are usually in foster homes. They will look for someone in your local area to do a home check and if you see a dog on their site you are interested in they will arrange transport for a meet and greet

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

Thank you robke, jo, markie, chelseafan and rachael-astro for your kind words and helpful suggestions. 

As for the home check I have been accepted and passed partly because of the distance and I’m also outside the acceptable distance of local-ish centres, so to back up my word I created a video tour of my home and garden, which was more than acceptable. 

Thank you robke, jo, markie, chelseafan and rachael-astro for your kind words and helpful suggestions. 
As for the home check I have been accepted and passed partly because of the distance and I’m also outside the acceptable distance of local-ish centres, so to back up my word I created a video tour of my home and garden, which was more than acceptable. 

Really I find that quite surprising!

In life there are challenges, compromise and firsts, maybe it’s a first, the DogsTrust and I firstly built up a very trustworthy bond, we have put q lot of work into a very short time frame, I haven’t simply visited the centre for an hour or two, I have spent two full days listening, watching, and working alongside the staff and Manny too. 

Sometimes technolgy is a very useful tool, no point having it if we don’t use it. 

@CZAR ~ Here is some info I thought of, going through all your posts, and key points to consider:
1) You said MANNY is very timid. You & your partner should take the black German Shepherd to do a Meet & Greet with MANNY. That is very IMPORTANT, especially, if you are with your partner & black GSD frequently. Both dogs must like each other and both must get along. (MANNY may only do well as the only dog in/at your house.) I would do the 160-mile drive with the black GSD to see how that all works out.
2) Please ensure your garden is completely fenced with at least a 5-foot fence around the entire perimeter of your garden. You mentioned a fox got in your garden. If a fox can GET IN, then MANNY can GET OUT (escape). You want to plug up/add more fencing for every single "leak" in your garden before bringing MANNY home... because you never want to lose him.
3) You can have MANNY "OFF LEAD" in your GARDEN if it is absolutely HIGHLY FENCED. (Why everyone says NEVER let a dog OFF LEAD is because, usually while walking a dog in a neighborhood, a field, etc., they can run off in a flash, get hit by a car, get lost, never be seen again.) So if you take MANNY for walks, ALWAYS KEEP MANNY ON-LEAD!!)
4) You do not know MANNY's past life, but something has caused him to be very timid. It's very important that you be extremely GENTLE with MANNY, and he'll need lots of REASSURANCE & LOVE. You can always call a Dog Behaviorist to help you with MANNY'S fears/being timid, etc. It will take a lot of time and hard work on your part to build that awesome bond between you two, build trust, etc.
*Do all these things and I think you & MANNY will become a great and loving team!! Deeply praying this all works out for you!! Stay POSITIVE ok!!
BEST OF LUCK CZAR (and MANNY)!!
[emoji120]🤗[emoji171][emoji191][emoji252][emoji274]

~ANGIE, ARMANI & ALINAH~

In life there are challenges, compromise and firsts, maybe it’s a first, the DogsTrust and I firstly built up a very trustworthy bond, we have put q lot of work into a very short time frame, I haven’t simply visited the centre for an hour or two, I have spent two full days listening, watching, and working alongside the staff and Manny too. 
Sometimes technolgy is a very useful tool, no point having it if we don’t use it. 

Was just saying as I do home checks for a rescue myself and we would never be allowed to rehome a dog based on photos and a video

we toke Alpha home with us after only 4 hrs of meeting him... he was in kennels 2 hrs away...never looked back since not been back not talked to them or anything...

We didnt have a home check either I have sent them some updates on Amy which they reply to but I think some rescue centres are so stretched staff and resource wise that its not always possible

13 hours ago, ARMANI & ALINAH said:

@CZAR ~ Here is some info I thought of, going through all your posts, and key points to consider:
1) You said MANNY is very timid. You & your partner should take the black German Shepherd to do a Meet & Greet with MANNY. That is very IMPORTANT, especially, if you are with your partner & black GSD frequently. Both dogs must like each other and both must get along. (MANNY may only do well as the only dog in/at your house.) I would do the 160-mile drive with the black GSD to see how that all works out.
2) Please ensure your garden is completely fenced with at least a 5-foot fence around the entire perimeter of your garden. You mentioned a fox got in your garden. If a fox can GET IN, then MANNY can GET OUT (escape). You want to plug up/add more fencing for every single "leak" in your garden before bringing MANNY home... because you never want to lose him.
3) You can have MANNY "OFF LEAD" in your GARDEN if it is absolutely HIGHLY FENCED. (Why everyone says NEVER let a dog OFF LEAD is because, usually while walking a dog in a neighborhood, a field, etc., they can run off in a flash, get hit by a car, get lost, never be seen again.) So if you take MANNY for walks, ALWAYS KEEP MANNY ON-LEAD!!)
4) You do not know MANNY's past life, but something has caused him to be very timid. It's very important that you be extremely GENTLE with MANNY, and he'll need lots of REASSURANCE & LOVE. You can always call a Dog Behaviorist to help you with MANNY'S fears/being timid, etc. It will take a lot of time and hard work on your part to build that awesome bond between you two, build trust, etc.
*Do all these things and I think you & MANNY will become a great and loving team!! Deeply praying this all works out for you!! Stay POSITIVE ok!!
BEST OF LUCK CZAR (and MANNY)!!
emoji120.png🤗emoji171.pngemoji191.pngemoji252.pngemoji274.png

~ANGIE, ARMANI & ALINAH~

Thank you Armani & Alinah if I may I would like to comment on your points.

Point 1: I have been advised by the behaviourists working with Manny not to introduce my partners GSD as the centre staff do not do this, that said, Manny is only allowed to see other centre dogs at a distance, not because of any aggression, due to Manny being somewhat stressed and unsure, Manny has not had the best start to life nor indeed his last rehoming experience, Manny is going to take a lot of slow gentle rehabilitation before any introduction to my partners GSD, and this rehabilitation will be alongside the advice of Manny's current behaviourists at the centre.

Point 2: My garden will be completely secure before Manny comes to his forever home.

Point 3: I will always keep Manny leashed while out on pubic walks.

Point 4: refer point 1.

I believe you got this@Czar [emoji4] The GSD will be around at some point I wouldn't rush into anything with a timid husky. Let him trust you and work from there. [emoji4][emoji4] It really won't take to long I don't think he sounds like a very incredible HUSKY!! [emoji4][emoji4] I have a kind of Timid husky and she actually did a lot better once another husky was introduced to her. But I would do what the adoption place told you to do [emoji4][emoji4][emoji4] Just make sure to take lots of pictures once he is home for you [emoji2][emoji2]

Sent from my Pixel using Husky Owners mobile app

@CZAR ~ Yes, I mainly wanted to bring up the issue of the other GSD. Glad you have that covered. Just follow what the Rescue tells you like you are all ready doing. Sounds like everything is going well!! You and MANNY will be an awesome forever team!!
[emoji171][emoji274][emoji179][emoji5]️

~ANGIE, ARMANI & ALINAH~

Great news [emoji3][emoji3][emoji3] please post pics. I wish nothing but happiness for both of you.

Oh and this forum has been and still is an invaluable source of information, advice and support, I’m sure it will be for you. We all want the best for our fur babies [emoji64]

Thank you chelseafan, Armani & Alinah, jo and Markie, for your kind words and best wishes, Manny is now home walked fed and watered, currently relaxed sleeping, here he is enjoying his journey albeit a toilet break on his journey. 

DA59F1DE-D0D7-44BA-8DFF-E10CD790A3A9.jpeg

Archived