Newbie saying Hi.

Czar

Hello Husky owners, my name is Czar, I currently do not own a Husky, that said, that may well change in the next two weeks give a take a day or two. 

A little about why I am here, two years ago I lost my 12 year life long Samoyed, I have owned a handful of Samoyed's over the years, I have done the grieving and can now find it within myself to offer another puppy or dog a forever home, whilst I wait very patiently for my next Samoyed puppy, some two to three years away, just out of curiosity I found myself looking through the dogs for rehoming on the dogsTrust website, and came across this handsome chap. 

image.thumb.jpeg.95d60a5722c1c1cee78bdd8b868966f4.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.3e708c8f88f9c0bb0afb949532021225.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.814668d7b9a825eb3d69657e6cf53aa8.jpeg

Here is his dogsTrust link: https://www.dogstrust.org.uk/rehoming/dogs/dog/filters/~204~~~~n~/1176504/manny

Although he was already reserved, something kept my interest so I showed my interest and became second reserve, I have read as much as I can about the breed, eventually landing here, if anyone has any comments good or bad, I would very much appreciate them, as I don't want to make a mistake by offering this dog a forever home only to find this breed not as easy going as the Samoyed breed, many thanks. 

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love my huskies, I have 4 of them. Wouldn't trade them for any other breed. If there were one thing I wish I could change about them is that I wish they could be trusted off leash. I wrote a bunch of stuff and deleted it because in all honesty, they are all different just as your dogs were. All 4 of mine are different. I have one that likes to dig for moles, another that likes to chew on everything, another that wants to play ALL day, and another that just wants to be by me and hang out. You give the one that wants to dig a spot they are allowed to dig at, you give the chewer something great to chew on so they leave the good stuff alone, you play with the puppy when you can, and you have company with you no matter where you go. One big happy family😄 The puppy photos are adorable by the way!!!❤️💞 He is handsome. 

Thank you so very much for your reply and kind words on how handsome Manny is, Hmmm I have read about off leash and running free, are they a breed which don’t respond well to recall once off the leash ? 

Hmmm if this is the case, how do you give them enough running exercise, sorry for what must seem idiotic questions, I just want to have all facts just in case I become first reserve for Manny, I wouldn’t want to get it wrong by not understanding the traits of the breed and ultimately maybe adopting the wrong breed. 

Don't get me wrong, they can be trained, just not trusted. All it will take is a squirrel or a cat or something to distract them and once they are engaged in running, you may not be able to get him back. If it happens at home, he may be able to find his way back home after a day or 2 of whatever they do while free. They run fast and far distances in a short amount of time. You will not catch him. So be on the safe side and keep him on a lead. 

Dog parks are good. Fenced in yard where he can run. Or long walks. 

I do have a closed secure large garden, I’m also lucky enough to live on the edge of the rural countryside, albeit with lots and lots of wildlife, from squirrels to deer and everything in between, hmmm is a loooong leash a feasible option ? 

Never off lead!!! We rescued Amy 9 months ago ( she chose us!) I foolishly did all my research on the breed AFTER we got her but wouldn’t change her for the world!!
We have a 30ft extendable lead, and a 60ft lunge line for long runs, I really dont feel she misses out on running, we take her on runs with a push bike too, she has floored me 3 times as I misjudged how fast she was running and she got to the end of the line full pelt, I was winded but didnt let go!
I do recall on every walk which is good but only for the ‘just in case she gets free’
They are an amazing breed, Amy makes me smile if not laugh out loud every single day

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Oh, and welcome, he is one handsome chap [emoji4]

Also, mental stimulation goes a long way, tires them out more than an hours walk!

Thank you Jo, hmmm maybe because of where I live and the wildlife not only on my doorstep but also finds its way into my garden, especially squirrels and the odd fox, perhaps the Husky breed might not be a smart move, decisions decisions decisions. 

Welcome to the pack , you can get 100ft leads which should help , long walks too , a tired husky is a happy husky :)
I might have to pick your brains about Sammy's at some point , I have a niggling thought my girl might be part Samoyed but I won't overtake your thread

Sent from my E6653 using Husky Owners mobile app

Thank you Jo, hmmm maybe because of where I live and the wildlife not only on my doorstep but also finds its way into my garden, especially squirrels and the odd fox, perhaps the Husky breed might not be a smart move, decisions decisions decisions. 

Wild life is everywhere, I wouldn’t let it put you off! Even living in a town you get cats, birds etc in the garden
We walk Amy in the countryside on a regular basis you just have to learn to hold onto the lead and look out for possible distractions
I have to add also that there is nothing like a husky kiss ti warm your heart [emoji4]
Where abouts are you?

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

8 hours ago, BingBlaze n Skyla said:

Welcome to the pack , you can get 100ft leads which should help , long walks too , a tired husky is a happy husky :)
I might have to pick your brains about Sammy's at some point , I have a niggling thought my girl might be part Samoyed but I won't overtake your thread

Sent from my E6653 using Husky Owners mobile app

Thank you so much for your advice, I had no idea you could get such a long leash. 

Anytime you would like to ask me questions about the Samoyed breed, feel free, hopefully I will have the answers to your queries. 

8 hours ago, Jo said:

Wild life is everywhere, I wouldn’t let it put you off! Even living in a town you get cats, birds etc in the garden
We walk Amy in the countryside on a regular basis you just have to learn to hold onto the lead and look out for possible distractions
I have to add also that there is nothing like a husky kiss ti warm your heart emoji4.png
Where abouts are you?

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

I am in Yorkshire, Gods county. 

Lovely part of the world, my partner Nick is from there and loves to go on his motorbike, great roads for it [emoji4]

I’m in Lincoln, I live in town but can easily get to some great country walks and we have some some lovely parks and nature reserves all dog friendly

Yes Yorkshire really is a beautiful county, I know just how lucky i am to have it as my back garden, the roads may well lend themselves to the joys of motoring, as do the Lincolnshire and Norfolk roads, yet sadly year on year, they claim too many lives, riders and drivers fail to not only read the road conditions correctly with their speed and ability or lack of it, personal inner body tension stress is the main cause of body fatigue which leads to the ultimate mistake. 

Ride and drive safely, most of all ease off the throttle, relax and enjoy, and you’ll make it out of the next corner. 

Being that 99% of forum members are huskie owners ourselves we just might be a tiny bit biased towards the breed   -  but they are undoubtedly the best breed of dog on the planet.   They are more independent than other breeds  -  and in my experience far more loving  -  companions rather than pets .    Mine is by far the most intelligent dog I have ever had - a real challenge sometimes, and consummate escape artists  -  I will never consider another breed now.   Marley makes us laugh every single day, several times a day  -   talks to us constantly with his  'woowoowoos' and 'trilling'  - similar to a cat's purr that I have absolutely no idea how he makes the sound -  you can find yourself actually having a conversation with them.    Don't get me wrong, they can be stubborn,  won't always come to you when you want, instead they will just look at you  then ignore you.  They seem to need a reason to do something  -  if they cannot think of a good enough reason to do something you want them to do  - they just won't do it.    A bored, quiet, huskie is something to fear - if you don't keep them amused - they will amuse themselves  -  and its usually costly - mine was a new suite - Marley ate the arm off the settee and one of the chairs.

Without doubt they are a challenging breed of dog  -  but the rewards are immense in terms of what you get back from them.   They do better with another dog rather than being the only one as they keep each other amused - or maybe its just my little bundle of heaven that does not like being on his own.

Continue doing your research on the breed  -   then jump in and experience the last dog breed you will ever have.

Thank you wolfpup for your experienced advice, always good to read experienced knowledge, very much appreciated, maybe I’ve been very lucky with my Samoyeds over the years, no furniture destruction, digging holes in my lawn yes, and finding their way into my 20,000 gallon garden pond, apart from that, the Samoyed breed is quite easy going apart from being very high maintenance of their coats. 

Welcome. Huskies are very stubborn but also very rewarding. [emoji3]

I’ll add my two pence worth on the off lead thing. There was a group locally who met up regularly offlead for a few months until the day one of the dogs decided to bolt and off they went straight out the park into town and got run over. The dog lived But sadly needed a lot of surgery to reconstruct the back leg and also needed rehabilitation. They stopped the off lead meets after that so I was told.

I also went to a husky meet once where one of the dogs escaped and it was like nothing I’d ever seen before. She literally jumped out the car and sprinted full pelt off down the road, didn’t hesitate, didn’t stop, didn’t even look back! We eventually found her a while later in a different town which was literally miles away. It really shocked me I must say.

Thank you Emma, oh that poor dog, the more I read about Huskies not being trustworthy off the lead, the more I think hmmm is the Husky breed for me, I like to see free running dogs who do recall, I really don’t know. 

54 minutes ago, Czar said:

Thank you Emma, oh that poor dog, the more I read about Huskies not being trustworthy off the lead, the more I think hmmm is the Husky breed for me, I like to see free running dogs who do recall, I really don’t know. 

If you want that...just do not get a husky... it will break your heart...

6 hours ago, robke said:

If you want that...just do not get a husky... it will break your heart...

Thank you robke, it does appear that off the leash for Huskies is a no, and that makes me feel a little Sad at the thought of your dog permanently tethered when out of the confines of your secluded garden, I am still drawn towards Manny, I just really don’t know what to do for the best. 

In your garden it is up to you to keep out the wild animals and as long as you fences are high enough 2 meter then you should be ok... the prey instinct in huskies is very very high...

mine are in our enclosed garden and are very happy and relax...until Mr Bird comes in then it can be a free for all...so if you have squirelles etc coming in I know mine would go to the bitter end to try and catch them...

I have a husky and he walks wel on a lead gets excited and tugs when he see's another dog but mostly plods along ok, for off lead  walks the local dog park emnclosed area is good. you can use tennis courts etc for this too if your local ark is ok with it. I have a normal lead and carry a 5 meter at all times. I also have a 50 meter i pack for trips to open ground like beaches etc.

when you get a husky i say you do not get a dog you get a husky. They will talk argue have hissy fits and full on temper tantrums at times, they bark growl and howl as well as make other sounds there are not even words to describe.

For exercise you can get atachemets to let them run alongside or infront of a bike even scooters designed for off road use. I will not lie you will have to change some things about your life stye huskies (I include malamutes) need things and do things no other breed do they can be a challange but they also off rewards to the famliy

being hnest would i tell people to get a husky, no not really as there are too many in kennels and on sites like gumtree the adds all tend to read the same  year old husky needs rehoming as we  do not have time to look after it or we are moving etc.  Translation  is we got a cute husky pup without researching the bree and now after a year can no longer bother to look after it as we are not able to exercise or give it the time the breed needs.

woud i say a husky needs a lot of work ..... hell yes

but do i love my husky yes and i wouldnt be with out him

they are just not a breed for every one and a husky owner has to be as crazy as the husky they own is

Welcome@Czar [emoji2][emoji2] Huskies they are wonderful magnificent breed.
1.) No off lead as they will run away
2.) They go through a stage of oh so adorable I want one then that changes because they grow up, which is usually when people can't handle them anymore
3.) They require a leader type figure since they are pack animals
4.) They are loyal and Bratz all at the same time
5.) A good well trained husky take lots of time and effort to get them that way
6.) They will test every limit boundary you have and jump on your last nerve
7.) Dont get a husky for the wrong reason. Cute face wrong reason. I need a running buddy or I would love to have one to pull things.
8.) You can not train them like all the dogs you see on TV basically what you have to do is trick them into thinking it's their idea or you something they want in your hand.
9.) Fenced in backyard are safe areas.
10.) Prey drive is a real thing don't be surprised if they kill small game it's part of life
11.) They argue, have fits and are stubborn
12.) They can jump very well so you must pay attention
13.) Houdini has nothing on them when it comes to escaping
14.) If you love cats make sure to train a husky love them to
15.) Training starts as soon as they are in your arms. If you don't want them doing when they are older don't let them do it when they are younger
16.) I recommend when you a second dog it's of a Spitz family.
17.) Be attentive
18.) They LOVE you even when they push your buttons so don't yell at them it does nothing they just look at you
19.) Make a schedule and keep it constantly
20.) It helps if your personality matches a huskies personality

Sent from my Pixel using Husky Owners mobile app

A tired husky is a good husky mental and physical exercises are a must.
Feeding they are picky but a grain free diet is best.

Sent from my Pixel using Husky Owners mobile app

I wanted to add that no dog, no matter what type of breed, should ever be off leads
But, you have a fenced in yard/garden, which is a huge plus!! If you are ready to put your heart & soul into a Husky, than a Husky is the dog for you! MANNY is not a young puppy, so there is another plus. MANNY is GORGEOUS!!
I'll pray for you and whatever decision you feel is a great connection for you!!
Welcome aboard!![emoji170][emoji252][emoji274][emoji171]

~ANGIE, ARMANI & ALINAH~

Archived