Husky Diet Questions

Luke & Tae

Hi everyone,

We just have a few questions about diet for our female husky named Maya, who is 4 and a half months old.

Currently we are feeding her Britcare lamb and rice puppy granules for breakfast, lunch and dinner - approximately 75g per serving.

However, she constantly seems hungry. We give her treats/dental sticks/other things during the day but we'd like everyones opinion on what they feed their huskies. I know there are many threads that detail diet, but some are from several years ago and things may have changed so it would be great to receive feedback from the community.

Also, when is she old enough to be having rice/raw meat and bones? We've spoken to our vet but they haven't been very helpful.

I have no experience regarding feeding pups as have always rescued but I have learnt that huskies ( well mine anyway) always seem hungry, Amy would eat all day if I let her!! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

I have no experience regarding feeding pups as have always rescued but I have learnt that huskies ( well mine anyway) always seem hungry, Amy would eat all day if I let her!! [emoji23]

It's not just yours I have two males that would eat all day if I kept food down for them [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my Pixel using Husky Owners mobile app

My 2 are fed raw, they used to have abit of kibble in the mornings and raw in the evening, but they’re not interested in kibble anymore. They have raw beef mince, chicken mince, lamb mince and I add veg to it and I cook it sometimes.,They love raw lamb bones and raw beef bones, lamb ribs etc. There are sites to help you with which raw to give and offal ( liver, heart etc) I also give them a crunchy mixer on top of raw food for evening meal. They love fruit and veg, again, you can read up about amounts to give.
I started introducing raw at 5 months and they are thriving on it, it’s not for everyone but I think there’s more variety with a raw diet.

I got Marley at 12 weeks old - and started to  transfer him onto raw from day one  -  it only took a week because he had not been on dry food for years so had not compromised his digestive system yet.  He had no digestive issues whatsoever.   As for when to change  - the sooner the better.    Possibly just start out with one meat then add a different one about a week later if your dog has no issues and transfer over totally gradually.

Thank you all for your replies, much appreciated.

So it looks like we're on course based on age to start feeding Maya raw food. My only follow up question would be - how much is the recommended amount per serving? Again, lots of info online and I know it may vary based on raw food types but any answers you can provide would help us a lot.

Cheers!

Husky’s as a rule don’t need a lot of food, but that also depends on how much exercise Maya is getting. If you can weigh her then you can google raw food feeding for her weight and gauge it that way, I’d try her on one meal a day to begin with and stick with that for a week to see how her poop is, if she has the runs then she may have had too much. You could also google the 10 simple raw diet rules, it can be a little scary getting the right balance with raw feeding but if you follow the rules mentioned it gives you confidence knowing Maya will be getting the right balance for a healthy body.
Good luck [emoji6]

This might help:

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/raw-feeding-primer/

As to how much  -  2% to 3% of the dogs weight is normal.

Also I got this from Dogs Naturally Magazine and have found it to be of tremendous help in sorting out the vitamins and minerals in a raw diet  -  hope it helps   :-

Although it’s hard to improve on a fresh, natural diet of species appropriate foods, you may have a dog who you feel needs extra nutrition (perhaps extra vitamin C for immune function or iodine for thyroid function). Luckily, there are nutritional herbs you can use to give your dog an additional boost without needing to mulch up those veggies. Most importantly, these whole food sources of vitamins and minerals are a much healthier choice than their synthetic counterparts. And unlike synthetic vitamins and minerals, herbs provide essential nutrients complete with the cofactors they need to make a healthy change in your dog – just as nature intended!

Vitamins
VITAMIN A
Enhances immunity, prevents eye problems and skin disorders. Important in bone and teeth formation. Protects against colds and infection. Slows aging process.

MEAT SOURCES: Chicken, pork, egg, salmon, halibut, haddock, sardines, liver, kidney, brain, tuna

HERBAL SOURCES: Alfalfa, borage leaves, burdock root, cayenne, chickweed, eyebright, fennel seed, hops, horsetail, kelp, lemongrass, mullein, nettle, oat straw, paprika, parsley, peppermint, plantain, raspberry leaves, red clover, rose hips, sage, uva ursi, violet leaves, watercress, yellow dock

VITAMIN B1 (Thiamine)
Promotes growth, improves mental attitude, aids digestion, helps strengthen nervous system and prevent stress.

MEAT SOURCES: Liver, rabbit, chicken, turkey, pork, lamb, goat, ostrich, buffalo, egg, beef, salmon, halibut, haddock, sardine

HERBAL SOURCES: Alfalfa, bladder wrack, burdock root, catnip, cayenne, chamomile, chickweed, eyebright, fennel seed, fenugreek, hops, nettle, oat straw, parsley, peppermint, raspberry leaves, red clover, rose hips, sage, yarrow, and yellow dock

VITAMIN B2 (Riboflavin)
Needed for red blood cell formation, aids growth and reproduction, promotes hair, skin and nail growth. Important in the prevention and treatment of cataracts.

MEAT SOURCES: Liver, heart, kidney, rabbit, chicken, turkey, pork, lamb, goat, ostrich, buffalo, egg, beef, salmon, halibut, haddock, sardine

HERBAL SOURCES: Alfalfa, bladder wrack, burdock root, catnip, cayenne, chamomile, chickweed, eyebright, fennel seed, fenugreek, ginseng, hops, horsetail, mullein, nettle, oat straw, parsley, peppermint, raspberry leaves, red clover, rose hips, sage, yellow dock

VITAMIN B3 (Niacin)
Essential for proper circulation and healthy skin. Increases energy, aids digestion, helps prevent migraines.

MEAT SOURCES: Rabbit, chicken, turkey, pork, lamb, goat, ostrich, buffalo, egg, beef, salmon, halibut, haddock, sardine, tuna

HERBAL SOURCES: Alfalfa, burdock root, catnip, cayenne, chamomile, chickweed, eyebright, fennel seed, hops, licorice, mullein, nettle, oat straw, parsley, peppermint, raspberry leaf, red clover, rose hips, slippery elm, yellow dock

VITAMIN B5 (Panothenic Acid)
Enhances stamina, prevents anemia, helps wounds heal, fights infection, strengthens immune system.

MEAT SOURCES: Liver, heart, kidney, rabbit, chicken, turkey, pork, lamb, goat, ostrich, buffalo, egg, beef, salmon, halibut, haddock, sardine

HERBAL SOURCES: Alfalfa, burdock root, nettle, yellow dock

VITAMIN B6 (Pyridoxine)
Needed to produce hydrochloric acid. Aids in absorption of fats, and protein. Mildly diuretic, helps prevent kidney stones. Helpful in treating allergies, arthritis, and asthma.

HERBAL SOURCES: Alfalfa, catnip, oat straw

VITAMIN B9 (Folate, Folic Acid)
MEAT SOURCES: Liver, rabbit, chicken, turkey, pork, lamb, goat, ostrich, buffalo, egg, beef, salmon, halibut, haddock, sardine

HERBAL SOURCES: Rosemary, dandelion, parsley, spirulina

VITAMIN B12 (Cyanocobalamin)
Helps prevent anemia. Protects nervous system, improves concentration, aids digestion.

HERBAL SOURCES: Alfalfa, bladderwrack, hops

VITAMIN C (Ascorbic acid)
Helps calcium and iron formation. Enhances immunity. Helps prevent cancer. Aids in production of anti-stress hormones. Antioxidant required for proper tissue growth and repair, and adrenal gland function.

MEAT SOURCES: Liver, kidney, heart, fish

HERBAL SOURCES: Alfalfa, burdock root, cayenne, chickweed, eyebright, fennel seed, fenugreek, hops, horsetail, kelp, peppermint, mullein, nettle, oat straw, paprika, parsley, pine needle, plantain, raspberry leaf, red clover, rose hips, skullcap, violet leaves, yarrow, yellow dock

VITAMIN D
Essential for calcium and phosphorous utilization. Prevents rickets. Needed for normal growth of bones and teeth. Helps regulate heartbeat. Prevents cancer and enhances immunity. Aids thyroid function and blood clotting.

MEAT SOURCES: Egg, sardine, liver, kidney, salmon, tuna

HERBAL SOURCES: Alfalfa, horsetail, nettle, parsley

VITAMIN E
Antioxidant which helps prevent cancer and heart disease. Prevents cell damage. Reduces blood pressure and promotes healthy skin and hair.

MEAT SOURCES: Ostrich, buffalo, egg, halibut, haddock, sardine, kidney, liver, brain

HERBAL SOURCES: Alfalfa, bladder wrack, dandelion, dong quai, flaxseed, nettle, oat straw, raspberry leaf, rose hips

VITAMIN K
Promotes healthy liver function. Helps bone formation and repair. Increases longevity.

MEAT SOURCES: Egg, halibut, haddock, sardine, liver

HERBAL SOURCES: Alfalfa, green tea, kelp, nettle, oat straw, shepherds purse

Minerals
CALCIUM
Builds and protects bones and teeth. Helps maintain regular heartbeat. Prevents muscle cramping.

MEAT SOURCES: Rabbit, chicken, turkey, pork, lamb, goat, ostrich, buffalo, egg, beef, salmon, halibut, haddock, sardine

HERBAL SOURCES: Alfalfa, burdock root, cayenne, chamomile, chickweed, chicory, dandelion, eyebright, fennel seed, fenugreek, flaxseed, hops, horsetail, kelp, lemongrass, mullein, nettle, oat straw, paprika, parsley, peppermint, plantain, raspberry leaf, red clover, rose hips, shepherd’s purse, violet leaves, yarrow, yellow dock

COPPER
Converts iron to hemoglobin. Protects against anemia. Needed for healthy bones and joints.

MEAT SOURCES: Chicken, turkey, pork, lamb, goat, ostrich, buffalo, egg, beef, salmon, halibut, haddock, sardine

HERBAL SOURCES: Sheep sorrel

IODINE
Needed in trace amounts for a healthy thyroid gland , and to help metabolize excess fat.

MEAT SOURCES: Salmon, haddock, seafood, egg

HERBAL SOURCES: Calendula, tarragon leaves, turkey rhubarb

IRON
Essential for metabolism, and the production of hemoglobin.

MEAT SOURCES: Rabbit, chicken, turkey, pork, lamb, goat, ostrich, buffalo, egg, beef, salmon, halibut, haddock, sardine

HERBAL SOURCES: Alfalfa, burdock root, catnip, cayenne, chamomile, chickweed, chicory, dandelion, dong quai, eyebright, fennel seed, fenugreek, horsetail, kelp, lemongrass, licorice, milk thistle seed, mullein, nettle, oatstraw, paprika, parsley, peppermint, plantain, raspberry leaf, rose hips, sarsaparilla, shepherd’s purse, uva ursi, yellow dock

MAGNESIUM
Prevents calcification of soft tissue. Helps reduce and dissolve calcium phosphate kidney stones. Helps prevent birth defects. Improves cardiovascular system.

MEAT SOURCES: Rabbit, chicken, turkey, pork, goat, ostrich, buffalo, egg, beef, salmon, halibut, haddock, sardine

HERBAL SOURCES: Alfalfa, bladder wrack, catnip, cayenne, chamomile, chickweed, dandelion, eyebright, fennel, fenugreek, hops, horsetail, lemongrass, licorice, mullein, nettle, oat straw, paprika, parsley, peppermint, raspberry leaf, red clover, sage, shepherd’s purse, yarrow, yellow dock

MANGANESE
Minute quantities of this mineral are needed for healthy nerves, blood sugar regulation, normal bone growth, and thyroid hormone production.

MEAT SOURCES: Rabbit, chicken, turkey, pork, goat, ostrich, buffalo, egg, beef, salmon, haddock, halibut, sardine

HERBAL SOURCES: Alfalfa, burdock root, catnip, chamomile, chickweed, dandelion, eyebright, fennel seed, fenugreek, ginseng, hops, horsetail, lemongrass, mullein, parsley, peppermint, raspberry leaf, red clover, rose hip, wild yam, yarrow, yellow dock

PHOSPHOROUS
Needed for teeth and bone formation, nerve impulse transfer, normal heart rhythm, and kidney function.

MEAT SOURCES: Rabbit, turkey, pork, lamb, goat, ostrich, buffalo, egg, beef, salmon, halibut, haddock, sardine

HERBAL SOURCES: Burdock root, turkey rhubarb, slippery elm bark

POTASSIUM
Regulates water balance, and muscle function. Important for health nervous system and regular heart rhythm. 

HERBAL SOURCES: Catnip, hops, horsetail, nettle, plantain, red clover, sage, skullcap

SELENIUM
Provides an important trace element for prostrate gland in males. Protects immune system and helps regulate thyroid hormones.

HERBAL SOURCES: Alfalfa, burdock root, catnip, cayenne, chamomile, chickweed, fennel seed, ginseng, garlic, hawthorn berry, hops, horsetail, lemongrass, milk thistle nettle, oat straw, parsley, peppermint, raspberry leaf, rose hips, sarsaparilla, uva ursi, yarrow, yellow dock

ZINC
Promotes growth and mental alertness. Accelerates healing. Regulates oil glands. Promotes healthy immune system, and healing of wounds.

MEAT SOURCES: rabbit, chicken, turkey, pork, lamb, goat, ostrich, buffalo, egg, beef, salmon, halibut, haddock, sardine

HERBAL SOURCES: Alfalfa, burdock root, cayenne, chamomile, chickweed, dandelion, eyebright, fennel seed, hops, milk thistle, mullein, nettle, parsley, rose hips, sage, sarsaparilla, skullcap, wild yam

This might help:
http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/raw-feeding-primer/
As to how much  -  2% to 3% of the dogs weight is normal.

Also I got this from Dogs Naturally Magazine and have found it to be of tremendous help in sorting out the vitamins and minerals in a raw diet  -  hope it helps   :-
Although it’s hard to improve on a fresh, natural diet of species appropriate foods, you may have a dog who you feel needs extra nutrition (perhaps extra vitamin C for immune function or iodine for thyroid function). Luckily, there are nutritional herbs you can use to give your dog an additional boost without needing to mulch up those veggies. Most importantly, these whole food sources of vitamins and minerals are a much healthier choice than their synthetic counterparts. And unlike synthetic vitamins and minerals, herbs provide essential nutrients complete with the cofactors they need to make a healthy change in your dog – just as nature intended!

Vitamins
VITAMIN A
Enhances immunity, prevents eye problems and skin disorders. Important in bone and teeth formation. Protects against colds and infection. Slows aging process.

MEAT SOURCES: Chicken, pork, egg, salmon, halibut, haddock, sardines, liver, kidney, brain, tuna

HERBAL SOURCES: Alfalfa, borage leaves, burdock root, cayenne, chickweed, eyebright, fennel seed, hops, horsetail, kelp, lemongrass, mullein, nettle, oat straw, paprika, parsley, peppermint, plantain, raspberry leaves, red clover, rose hips, sage, uva ursi, violet leaves, watercress, yellow dock

VITAMIN B1 (Thiamine)
Promotes growth, improves mental attitude, aids digestion, helps strengthen nervous system and prevent stress.

HERBAL SOURCES: Alfalfa, bladder wrack, burdock root, catnip, cayenne, chamomile, chickweed, eyebright, fennel seed, fenugreek, hops, nettle, oat straw, parsley, peppermint, raspberry leaves, red clover, rose hips, sage, yarrow, and yellow dock

VITAMIN B2 (Riboflavin)
Needed for red blood cell formation, aids growth and reproduction, promotes hair, skin and nail growth. Important in the prevention and treatment of cataracts.

HERBAL SOURCES: Alfalfa, bladder wrack, burdock root, catnip, cayenne, chamomile, chickweed, eyebright, fennel seed, fenugreek, ginseng, hops, horsetail, mullein, nettle, oat straw, parsley, peppermint, raspberry leaves, red clover, rose hips, sage, yellow dock

VITAMIN B3 (Niacin)
Essential for proper circulation and healthy skin. Increases energy, aids digestion, helps prevent migraines.

MEAT SOURCES: Rabbit, chicken, turkey, pork, lamb, goat, ostrich, buffalo, egg, beef, salmon, halibut, haddock, sardine, tuna

HERBAL SOURCES: Alfalfa, burdock root, catnip, cayenne, chamomile, chickweed, eyebright, fennel seed, hops, licorice, mullein, nettle, oat straw, parsley, peppermint, raspberry leaf, red clover, rose hips, slippery elm, yellow dock

VITAMIN B5 (Panothenic Acid)
Enhances stamina, prevents anemia, helps wounds heal, fights infection, strengthens immune system.

HERBAL SOURCES: Alfalfa, burdock root, nettle, yellow dock

VITAMIN B6 (Pyridoxine)
Needed to produce hydrochloric acid. Aids in absorption of fats, and protein. Mildly diuretic, helps prevent kidney stones. Helpful in treating allergies, arthritis, and asthma.

HERBAL SOURCES: Alfalfa, catnip, oat straw

VITAMIN B9 (Folate, Folic Acid)

HERBAL SOURCES: Rosemary, dandelion, parsley, spirulina

VITAMIN B12 (Cyanocobalamin)
Helps prevent anemia. Protects nervous system, improves concentration, aids digestion.

HERBAL SOURCES: Alfalfa, bladderwrack, hops

VITAMIN C (Ascorbic acid)
Helps calcium and iron formation. Enhances immunity. Helps prevent cancer. Aids in production of anti-stress hormones. Antioxidant required for proper tissue growth and repair, and adrenal gland function.

MEAT SOURCES: Liver, kidney, heart, fish

HERBAL SOURCES: Alfalfa, burdock root, cayenne, chickweed, eyebright, fennel seed, fenugreek, hops, horsetail, kelp, peppermint, mullein, nettle, oat straw, paprika, parsley, pine needle, plantain, raspberry leaf, red clover, rose hips, skullcap, violet leaves, yarrow, yellow dock

VITAMIN D
Essential for calcium and phosphorous utilization. Prevents rickets. Needed for normal growth of bones and teeth. Helps regulate heartbeat. Prevents cancer and enhances immunity. Aids thyroid function and blood clotting.

MEAT SOURCES: Egg, sardine, liver, kidney, salmon, tuna

HERBAL SOURCES: Alfalfa, horsetail, nettle, parsley

VITAMIN E
Antioxidant which helps prevent cancer and heart disease. Prevents cell damage. Reduces blood pressure and promotes healthy skin and hair.

MEAT SOURCES: Ostrich, buffalo, egg, halibut, haddock, sardine, kidney, liver, brain

HERBAL SOURCES: Alfalfa, bladder wrack, dandelion, dong quai, flaxseed, nettle, oat straw, raspberry leaf, rose hips

VITAMIN K
Promotes healthy liver function. Helps bone formation and repair. Increases longevity.

MEAT SOURCES: Egg, halibut, haddock, sardine, liver

HERBAL SOURCES: Alfalfa, green tea, kelp, nettle, oat straw, shepherds purse

Minerals
CALCIUM
Builds and protects bones and teeth. Helps maintain regular heartbeat. Prevents muscle cramping.

HERBAL SOURCES: Alfalfa, burdock root, cayenne, chamomile, chickweed, chicory, dandelion, eyebright, fennel seed, fenugreek, flaxseed, hops, horsetail, kelp, lemongrass, mullein, nettle, oat straw, paprika, parsley, peppermint, plantain, raspberry leaf, red clover, rose hips, shepherd’s purse, violet leaves, yarrow, yellow dock

COPPER
Converts iron to hemoglobin. Protects against anemia. Needed for healthy bones and joints.

MEAT SOURCES: Chicken, turkey, pork, lamb, goat, ostrich, buffalo, egg, beef, salmon, halibut, haddock, sardine

HERBAL SOURCES: Sheep sorrel

IODINE
Needed in trace amounts for a healthy thyroid gland , and to help metabolize excess fat.

MEAT SOURCES: Salmon, haddock, seafood, egg

HERBAL SOURCES: Calendula, tarragon leaves, turkey rhubarb

IRON
Essential for metabolism, and the production of hemoglobin.

HERBAL SOURCES: Alfalfa, burdock root, catnip, cayenne, chamomile, chickweed, chicory, dandelion, dong quai, eyebright, fennel seed, fenugreek, horsetail, kelp, lemongrass, licorice, milk thistle seed, mullein, nettle, oatstraw, paprika, parsley, peppermint, plantain, raspberry leaf, rose hips, sarsaparilla, shepherd’s purse, uva ursi, yellow dock

MAGNESIUM
Prevents calcification of soft tissue. Helps reduce and dissolve calcium phosphate kidney stones. Helps prevent birth defects. Improves cardiovascular system.

MEAT SOURCES: Rabbit, chicken, turkey, pork, goat, ostrich, buffalo, egg, beef, salmon, halibut, haddock, sardine

HERBAL SOURCES: Alfalfa, bladder wrack, catnip, cayenne, chamomile, chickweed, dandelion, eyebright, fennel, fenugreek, hops, horsetail, lemongrass, licorice, mullein, nettle, oat straw, paprika, parsley, peppermint, raspberry leaf, red clover, sage, shepherd’s purse, yarrow, yellow dock

MANGANESE
Minute quantities of this mineral are needed for healthy nerves, blood sugar regulation, normal bone growth, and thyroid hormone production.

MEAT SOURCES: Rabbit, chicken, turkey, pork, goat, ostrich, buffalo, egg, beef, salmon, haddock, halibut, sardine

HERBAL SOURCES: Alfalfa, burdock root, catnip, chamomile, chickweed, dandelion, eyebright, fennel seed, fenugreek, ginseng, hops, horsetail, lemongrass, mullein, parsley, peppermint, raspberry leaf, red clover, rose hip, wild yam, yarrow, yellow dock

PHOSPHOROUS
Needed for teeth and bone formation, nerve impulse transfer, normal heart rhythm, and kidney function.

MEAT SOURCES: Rabbit, turkey, pork, lamb, goat, ostrich, buffalo, egg, beef, salmon, halibut, haddock, sardine

HERBAL SOURCES: Burdock root, turkey rhubarb, slippery elm bark

POTASSIUM
Regulates water balance, and muscle function. Important for health nervous system and regular heart rhythm. 

HERBAL SOURCES: Catnip, hops, horsetail, nettle, plantain, red clover, sage, skullcap

SELENIUM
Provides an important trace element for prostrate gland in males. Protects immune system and helps regulate thyroid hormones.

HERBAL SOURCES: Alfalfa, burdock root, catnip, cayenne, chamomile, chickweed, fennel seed, ginseng, garlic, hawthorn berry, hops, horsetail, lemongrass, milk thistle nettle, oat straw, parsley, peppermint, raspberry leaf, rose hips, sarsaparilla, uva ursi, yarrow, yellow dock

ZINC
Promotes growth and mental alertness. Accelerates healing. Regulates oil glands. Promotes healthy immune system, and healing of wounds.

MEAT SOURCES: rabbit, chicken, turkey, pork, lamb, goat, ostrich, buffalo, egg, beef, salmon, halibut, haddock, sardine

HERBAL SOURCES: Alfalfa, burdock root, cayenne, chamomile, chickweed, dandelion, eyebright, fennel seed, hops, milk thistle, mullein, nettle, parsley, rose hips, sage, sarsaparilla, skullcap, wild yam

This is awesome@Wolfpup wow [emoji191][emoji252][emoji322][emoji323]

Sent from my Pixel using Husky Owners mobile app

1 hour ago, ARMANI & ALINAH said:

@WolfPup ~ That's awesome!!! You put a lot of hard work into that. Very very good!!emoji5.pngemoji171.pngemoji274.png

~ANGIE, ARMANI & ALINAH~

Not hard work  -  hard researching only   :headbang:

Archived