Reverse sneezing

shayes

Hi all, just wondered if anyone else had experienced their boys and gals having a reverse sneeze episode. Phoenix does this every now and then when excited but this evening on our walk have about 6 episodes in about 30 minutes of being out.

It resolved itself within seconds but not sure if I should be calling the vet. Her breathing goes back to normal and looks like it never happened. I have checked her nose and mouth and nothing obvious seems to be causing any irritation to her.

Also wondering if it could be the change in weather as is turned a bit nippy and she was going from indoors to outside.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated or if anyone else has experienced it , it can be quite scary but I try not to let my panic show for her [emoji53]

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

Bindi does this quite often but to me nothing causes it and I am not worried as the vet has told me it is normal and some dogs do it more then others...

Thank you that has eased my mind a lot. It’s very scary when it happens as they go into a funny gate and appears to be struggling but then in the next minute she’s looking at me as if to say “ why have we stopped keep going human “. I’ll keep an eye on her.

I cut our walk short tonight just incase she has something causing irritation to her.

My staffy used to do it a lot , I would hold his nose gently closed so he'd breath through his mouth n that would sort it

Sent from my E6653 using Husky Owners mobile app

One of my friends suggested placing my thumb over one nostril to cause her to swallow, but I didn’t want to intervene to much and cause her panic. I think I’m being a worry wart, as my previous two rescue Husky’s had very severe health problems, and I’m always thinking something is going to happen to her. Hearing that others have experienced the honking and snorting is a relief thank you [emoji4]

My staffy did it quite a lot, my frenchie does it too. In both their cases they panicked which made it worse. I used to just calmly stroke and talk to them to help calm them down and then it would stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Thank you all for the reassurances. She hasn’t had another episode since we got home. Could be excitement which she tends to get extremely excited. I don’t think they know how much they worry us sometimes

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

73c2e736eae8bb72ec252829ff788109.jpg

As you can see she is very content and relaxed on the sofa now [emoji849]

First, PHOENIX Baby is GORGEOUS!! Love the black goggles around the eyes!!
I believe reverse sneezing is due to excitement and/or allergies. My ARMANI does this really badly (scares the heck outta me)!! It's 9Xs out of 10 when someone comes over & he's super happy. He also does it after he's quickly gulped down a bunch of water or outside playing in the leaves etc. (I need to call my Vet to see if this is normal??)
I would recommend calling your Vet and asking why this happens?? They may want to see your baby to check for any respiratory problems, etc. Good luck with PHOENIX and praying there are no problems.[emoji120] [emoji260][emoji274][emoji262][emoji171]

~ANGIE, ARMANI & ALINAH~

First, PHOENIX Baby is GORGEOUS!! Love the black goggles around the eyes!!

I believe reverse sneezing is due to excitement and/or allergies. My ARMANI does this really badly (scares the heck outta me)!! It's 9Xs out of 10 when someone comes over & he's super happy. He also does it after he's quickly gulped down a bunch of water or outside playing in the leaves etc. (I need to call my Vet to see if this is normal??)

I would recommend calling your Vet and asking why this happens?? They may want to see your baby to check for any respiratory problems, etc. Good luck with PHOENIX and praying there are no problems.[emoji120] [emoji260][emoji274][emoji262][emoji171]

~ANGIE, ARMANI & ALINAH~

Thank you for all the info. We have had no honking today so hopefully whatever caused it has resolved but will still keep a close eye.

Vet wasn’t overly concerned as she wasn’t doing it consistently which is when they get concerned. She was also eating and drinking which again if something was really wrong she wouldn’t be doing much of either.

She has clearly had her snout somewhere that she inhaled something. Silly gal. It’s a massive Weight off my mind. They do make us worry.

We only got her last year and she is an older girl at 7 years and I want her to see her later years out happy and healthy after her poor 6 year start - thank you again everyone it saved me sleeping with one eye and ear open last night

• 1 year later...

Our Siberian Husky started having seizures at not quite 5 years old. She will be 6 in November. She takes medicine and we recently changed to different medicine. She has started what we think is reverse sneezing. Has never done before. Vet does not think it is related to meds change.  Thoughts?

I would doubt it.     One of my boys, Marley,  has been epi for 3 years  -  only takes cbd for it  -  no vet meds  -  he reverse sneezes occasionally   -  but Mikey does also - and he is on no meds whatsoever.   Sometimes I think it is their way of clearing their airways  -  no matter how scary it sounds sometimes.

Archived