Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
odinonyx

Aggression towards puppies?

Recommended Posts

Hi!

I've had this issue with Odin since he entered puberty; he's sort of aggressive towards young puppies - but ONLY husky & malamute puppies. He gets along fine with small dogs when off leash in the dog park, but once a husky or mal puppy comes in I have to chase him around to make sure he doesn't hurt it.

The first 'greeting' he does towards the puppy would be to run straight to it, wrestle a bit then bite the neck. The puppy was terrified and crying and he still won't leave it alone. It's scary to look at and scary for the puppy owner too. He'll growl and try to pin the puppy down, and bare his teeth when I pull him away. He'll go back to chasing and biting the puppy's neck if I let him go.

It seems like he's turned into a playground bully and I'm really concerned about it. How do I correct this behavior? We don't always meet husky or mal puppy during our visit to the park so I have only few chances to correct him so I need to do it right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's odd that he only does it with a couple of breeds! Has he had pups himself?


Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BingBlaze n Skyla said:

Sounds like it could be him being overly dominant then , neutering can help that

Sent from my E6653 using Husky Owners mobile app
 

I guess that's possible. Thanks! Let's hope neutering fix that behavior.

2 hours ago, Rachael_Astro said:

It's odd that he only does it with a couple of breeds! Has he had pups himself?


Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

I know right! He's never done it to any other breed. No, he's only turned 1 year old recently :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He sounds like he is trying to dominant the breeds. Most dogs have a Hierarchy but huskies and Malamutes are really the only two breeds that establish it that I've ever seen. Huskies are very territorial he probably is feeling that the other husky puppy or adult is stepping on his territory. Fixing him might help a little bit :-)

Sent from my Pixel using Husky Owners mobile app

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree. Also, keep trying to work with them. I have to do that with my two. But I think they'll both fight to be the "dominator." I think ALINAH is winning against ARMANI LOL!

~ANGIE, ARMANI & ALINAH~

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/25/2017 at 9:51 AM, Markie said:

He sounds like he is trying to dominant the breeds. Most dogs have a Hierarchy but huskies and Malamutes are really the only two breeds that establish it that I've ever seen. Huskies are very territorial he probably is feeling that the other husky puppy or adult is stepping on his territory. Fixing him might help a little bit :-)

Sent from my Pixel using Husky Owners mobile app
 

 

On 9/27/2017 at 1:09 AM, ARMANI & ALINAH said:

I agree. Also, keep trying to work with them. I have to do that with my two. But I think they'll both fight to be the "dominator." I think ALINAH is winning against ARMANI LOL!

~ANGIE, ARMANI & ALINAH~
 

Thanks, I'm planning to fix him this month. So, fingers crossed that'll end this behavior :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.