Husky shepherd mix - hello :-)

Shepsky5

Hi! New here! 

Our dog is a husky shepherd mix, a rescue.

Trying to figure out which breed forum to join, ha ha...

looks like a big husky, but is mainly attached to one person (me), follows me from room to room, barks loudly at the door, and is a bit aloof ( does not seek attention from strangers). Does he act more like a shepherd, then? But aside from barking at door, he is a silent guy., which seems more like a husky...

Starting obedience class in 2 weeks, so I guess we will see which breed in him dominates...?

wondering if he can be offleash trained ( more like shepherd) or never let off leash (more like husky)!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome!
I'd say, even if he has a dot of husky, never let him off in unsecured area, lots of trainers will tell you otherwise bit its not worth the risk!
Have you any pics of him?

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Welcome to the pack! He sounds like a good mix of both with the attachment and the barking that's definitely gsd but the silent and aloofness is more husky
I wouldn't risk having him offlead if like jo said there's even a smidge of that husky personality , a 100ft lead is great for letting them run , he could be gsd obedient for years then one day that husky desire might kick in n he'll bolt . And like rob says we need pics!

Sent from my E6653 using Husky Owners mobile app

Hi!

Thank you for the advice about the offleash... yes, you are right!
That 1 minute of Husky  kicking in, and he will be off...
he is a good attentive boy, but if we are out for a walk and he sees a deer, it is like I have vanished off the face of the planet...
In his brain is only DEER DEER DEER DEER  (repeat)...

I figured out how to add his Profile Pic, and will add more pics later!
( I think he LOOKS more like a Husky, so for now sticking to Husky forum. :-)

Ha ha yes, I visited the GSD forum and it seems ultraserious about Training.
I see myself as more of an "average dog owner" :-)

But I may visit there to learn how to do Tracking/Nosework...the K9 sections are very cool.
Our dog loves tracking, I see him following a scent over the field or across the parking lot, and then he flushes a rabbit or a cat out!
( The other day, he flushed out what looked like a 30-40 lb cat, tawny colored, with a banded tail...I was like, that was nobody's housecat!?! )

Anyway this forum seems nice, and I will be here for questions and ideas!
Thanks.

As soon as my 2 are out they are sniffing potential prey, they've caught field mice by the river, they seem to smell them from a hell of a distance and before you can blink they've pounced on it and of course they're absolute favourite are squirrels, Cai saw one running by a tree tonight and he was on his hind legs jumping up, funny sight to see.

I say your babies' instincts may be stronger with the Shepherd but with Husky too. With part GSD, you'll have a great house alarm (watch dog) & many other GSD traits. But definitely you'll have the great Husky instincts as well! (What an awesome & beautiful combination!)
I would NEVER NEVER EVER have ANY dog breed OFF lead. (We can never predict what's in a dog's mind no matter how well trained, their prey drive, a loose aggressive dog, a car could hit them, etc., & some dogs chase cars.)
*I think you should be a part of BOTH this awesome Husky Forum AND the GSD Forum since your baby is Shepsky. But Husky Owners is the BEST OF THE *BEST*!!![emoji252][emoji171][emoji95]🤗

~ANGIE

Of the 7 dogs we have currently, 4 are adopted Huskies, 1 is Husky x GSD, 1 is GSD and 1 foster is probably Husky x GSD. Only one of the Huskies ever barks at people/doorbell, rest of Huskies, GSD and GSD crosses would welcome anyone in, so don't rely on one or the other traits dominating. Only our GSD ever goes off-lead outside a secure area (and yes, we've trained them all to recall, apart from foster though he's learning, but will never fully trust them)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, getting to know him a bit better, and he seems to be a shepherd in a husky body...

one person dog. Will barely let my husband walk him,  will not let the obedience teacher feed him a treat. Is never more than 6 feet away from me at all times. Lies outside door when I shower. Barks loudly at door, and only stops after I welcome the visitor,  invite them in and introduce them. Growls at service men in backyard. Is eager during training ( I actually think he enjoys training more than I do). At the dog park, I have not seen him ever seek attention from the other owners - he will tolerate petting from other people, but that's about all. 

interesting how the mix turned out. I am sure there are "shepskys" who look more like their shepherd parents, but act more like huskies!

The one thing we knew for sure was that he would need plenty of exercise, and that he would shed a lot! :-)

Bear’s a mix and you never know what traits from what breeds you’ll end up with. Both ice and Bear clung to one person when little, as pups and children alike do tend to shadow you but as their confidence grows they become more independent. Bear was my hubby dog when little (she chose him) and now she’ll go to anyone and everyone. [emoji23] she also has zero guarding tendencies, lower than expected prey drive and is very gentle.

Ice used to bark at everything initially as everything was a new experience and until he became used to various things he would react. He chose me and although now he’s very happy to go to anyone familiar, if he becomes scared or unwell he’s straight back to his mum for reassurance. Bless him.

@SHEPSKY5
Hello! What is your sweet baby's name?? (I may have missed it in the thread.) Also, I can barely see your baby's photo in your profile photo but looks gorgeous! If you need any help loading photos, please let us know.
We just want to see photos (bcuz we are Huskies & some Shepskys) and love to inspect everything like they do LOL!
🤗[emoji252]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Husky Owners mobile app

• 11 months later...

Ah ha ha, sorry,  I am a year late with photos! I did not check back on this thread, oops.

Rumo ( that’s his name! ) is quite settled with us now. He is a quiet well-behaved furry guy and we love him. It is sad, but with just 1 year gone by, I can already see him slowing down a little...sleeping a bit more, trotting less. We don’t really know his age since he was a rescue. Maybe 6-7 yrs old now?

for his Gotcha day, he got some grilled steak with his dinner, ice cream for dessert, and a hike 🙂

Will try to add some action photos this fall! ( We are actually active outdoorsy owners, walking/hiking/running about 4-5 miles a day with him, but I don’t usually carry anything but the car keys and a poopy bag! So all our outdoors adventures go undocumented...)

7B588243-C825-4169-B52C-939B02A5F681.jpeg

03C7A9D3-9360-4905-8952-17E516D28B4B.jpeg

CA562CFB-15AE-4EAD-9F20-485B257C9061.jpeg

Archived