My husky is vomiting water. Help?

Hannah A

Hello, my name is Hannah and I am a new member to this forum. I wanted to come here to see if other husky owners could help me with a problem I am having with my own Husky. My fiance, Eric and I recently adopted a 7 month old husky who we named Kovu. We've had him for over a month and he has become the love of our lives. There is something that concerns me about him though. When he first got him we could tell he had been abused and we tried our hardest to help him and he's truly come a far way. But when we did first get him whenever we would give him water he would drink it so fast he would later throw it up. When he does this there is no warning signs at all. It's like he just opens his mouth and it all comes out. We assumed whoever had him before limited his water so he felt he had to drink what he could. Slowly he has learned that we do not limit his water and whenever he asks we refill it. Unfortunately he still drinks it so fast he throws up. I looked up ways to help with this and one suggestion was to put a rock in his bowl to slow him down. We ended up putting a large rock in there so he can't take as big of gulps. This has helped but every once in awhile he still does it. My fiance thinks he's fine and just needs to learn but I'm a bit concerned there might be more going on. Sometimes when he vomits the water there will be bits of food in it. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do or if there is a bigger concern here? Please help.

2 of mine do the same thing... it is that they are affraid that there will be not enough water for them so they drink to fast..stomach cannot handle it and some of it comes out again.. been happening with me for the last 5 years and apart from cleaning it never done anything about it...

Mine also does this sometimes and he's two. Using a slow eat bowl for water like others said may help. I think they will learn given time and slow down [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

2 hours ago, Hannah A said:

whenever we would give him water

2 hours ago, Hannah A said:

we do not limit his water and whenever he asks we refill it.

Its probably just the phraseology, but is seems to imply that there are times when he does not have access to water  - I am sure  this is not what  you meant.   However if there are any times when he does not have any  - it will reinforce his obvious feelings that it's not always around and he has to take as much as he can whilst it is there.

As already mentioned a slow feeder type bowl might help  -  but is it possible to have say a kiddies paddling pool outside with water in it  -  or even a bucket of water outside the back door?    If he sees that it might help him to realize that even if his water bowl is getting a bit on the low side - he still has access to water anyway.

U can also get like doggy drinking fountains so the water flows at a steady pace but isn't sitting there ready to be gulped down , not sure where u can get them from though , I like the paddling pool idea too mine love going to their pool for a drink instead of their bowl sometimes

Sent from my E6653 using Husky Owners mobile app

Archived