What is going on with breeding????

chelseafan

I like to look at husky pups on Pets4homes sometimes (just looking!!!) and I came across a Goberian, I've never even heard of this, so I read on and it's a golden retriever and a husky, it's quite sad that people just seem to breed any dog with a husky, I'm not a snob about mixed dogs at all, I have Luka, but I do believe certain breeds of dogs should remain 100% true. Who knows down the line what kind of health issues these dogs may suffer with.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

One of my pet peeves. There's even websites around with breeders touting the 'benefits' of said made up breed. Things like "just like a husky but stays small", or "doesn't moult". Which to my mind is nonsense as you honestly don't know which attributes from which parent are going to be inherited by each pup. It's a lottery.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

As the owner of a mixed breed (aka mongrol) he has had more health problems than the husky. His ulner plates closed prematurely as a pup causing his legs to bow. We had one operated on (horrendous they have to cut a chunk out of the bone and he is full of metal) and we know he could be prone to arthritis in a few years. Being a mix is definitely no guarantee of good health.

dog world is full of unscrupulos people out to make a quick buck from the so called respectable people who run puppy farms on the side, to moving animals in in trucks that do not support moving  animals in hot weather and having dogs suffer heat stroke, who should have known better. To people making up new breeds to make them sound more valuable. and including the finding dogs on facebook and other sites that are given to free homes that then sell them on a few days later

take into account last years Crufts best of breed German Shepherd  winner who was limping around the ring with his bad back due to the poor breeding to suit the so called fashion of having a slopped back, and pugs and bulldogs that can hardly breath due to the standerds they are bred too.

a big part of the issue is Money but fashion is just as bad and its about time the Kennel clubs of the world and dog shows started to return to the riginal values of breeding that were to produce a dog that can do a set job. and prevent any dog that has been poorly bred and is no longer able to perform that job from being bred from or shown.  In my personal feelings the worse thing that can happen to any dog breed is to be officialy recognized by the Kennel Club. It is why a number of dog breeds have more than one society. The so called offical KC recognized club and then the other that stick to promoting dogs that are able to do the job. The UK husky and malamute clubs have split into more than one group along with other breeds for just these reasons

Can't you call a Siberian bred with a larger breed dog an Alaskan Husky, or am I wrong on that?  I thought that was an accepted practice, but they aren't as cute.

Never mind.  It's any northern breed mutt that's used as a sled dog that is called an Alaskan Husky.  I guess it's another way of saying 'I don't know what it is but it can pull.'

2 hours ago, TrollPrincess said:

Can't you call a Siberian bred with a larger breed dog an Alaskan Husky, or am I wrong on that?  I thought that was an accepted practice, but they aren't as cute.

Never mind.  It's any northern breed mutt that's used as a sled dog that is called an Alaskan Husky.  I guess it's another way of saying 'I don't know what it is but it can pull.'

there are 4 main recognized breeds of husky, Siberian, Labrador, Sakhalin and Mackenzie River. Plus if  remember right 2 or 3 others not officialy recognized sub breeds. I personaly beleave being recognized by the Kennel Club is a bad day for any breed as they breed for fashion and looks not for ability to do the job the dog was originaly bred to do. Which is why you will tend to find that in the working dog breeds there tend to be 2 breed societies The Official KC one and the for most part better working dog one

Archived