Behaviourist booked.........yay!!

chelseafan

Booked the behaviourist for Luka in 3 weeks time, we had a long chat on the phone and I'm really looking forward to this, Emma has asked me to keep a diary of any reactive behaviours on walks to try and work out what his triggers are, she also said it could be certain breeds or colours.

I'll keep you all posted as it may help others with a similar problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

Exciting! Sometimes its just a simple thing that makes all the difference! Cant wait to hear how you get on [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Thankyou, I'm ready to start tomorrow, she's a very busy lady.
Luka had a fright on a walk and pulled me over, I landed on all fours and badly hurt my hand, just had an op on the nerves in my hand and I have to get an X-ray to check for fractures. I didn't let go of the lead, I was worried about what he'd do if I did, I thought I was prepared for most things with Luka.......Cai came straight over to me and was trying to lick my knees, what a sweetheart.

Thankyou, I'm ready to start tomorrow, she's a very busy lady.
Luka had a fright on a walk and pulled me over, I landed on all fours and badly hurt my hand, just had an op on the nerves in my hand and I have to get an X-ray to check for fractures. I didn't let go of the lead, I was worried about what he'd do if I did, I thought I was prepared for most things with Luka.......Cai came straight over to me and was trying to lick my knees, what a sweetheart.

Oh no I hope you're ok :( do u have a
Walking belt?

Sent from my E6653 using Husky Owners mobile app

Oh poor you, Amys floored me twice before and it hurts!! walking belt back out for you I think? [emoji15]

I'm fine thankyou, just sore.
I have an indi dog walking belt, I'm an idiot for not using it....... I will be from now on!

Always better to use it but not need it then need it n not use it ;) i don't really need my walking belt anymore but I still wear it every walk just for peace of mind more than anything lol at least I know I'm not gonna drop leads n have them run off on me

Sent from my E6653 using Husky Owners mobile app

Good luck with the diary, will be interesting to see what the triggers are.
Ice seems to be more wary of bigger dogs or OTT dogs, even though he's a big, over the top dog himself at times, lol.

I've been using the vari-harness on Luka and I've not had to use his head harness with it at all. Massive improvement for him, he's such a puller and with his size it can be hard going. I've been watching some Cesar Millan and picking up a few tips.

I got sid to put a ring on front of Amys hudini, makes a big difference! Careful with Mr Millan he can be a bit 'alfa' pick the bits that work for you

I've reverted to a normal lead for the time being  -  Marley has had me over twice now using my walking belt.   If he pulls forward its ok, but on both occasions he pulled suddenly to the side and I just went down.   Possibly because I am not as quick reacting as I used to be when younger.

Hoping the behaviourist works for you  -  looking forward to your reports!

Would be very interesting to read what triggers him!
Also, like the others mentioned be careful for certain Cesar Milan methods, rather go lookup Zak George or Victoria .... (and now I forgot her last name!) She's British, can anyone else help out with her last name?

Sent from my SM-T815 using Husky Owners mobile app

Victoria Stilwell has a page on Facebook too, think it's called positively? It's a really good read, lots of articles pop up on my timeline. [emoji3]

Edit: nope it's called after her own name but her profile picture says positively so that's probably where I got the word from, lol. [emoji85][emoji23]

Would be very interesting to read what triggers him!
Also, like the others mentioned be careful for certain Cesar Milan methods, rather go lookup Zak George or Victoria .... (and now I forgot her last name!) She's British, can anyone else help out with her last name?

Sent from my SM-T815 using Husky Owners mobile app

I like some of his thinking but not all, I don't believe we need to be the 'Alpha' husky's are more companions, my favourite is Turid Rugaas , she's a Norwegian dog trainer, teaches communication especially with dogs who live in packs.

I like some of his thinking but not all, I don't believe we need to be the 'Alpha' husky's are more companions, my favourite is Turid Rugaas , she's a Norwegian dog trainer, teaches communication especially with dogs who live in packs.

Never heard of her, I do like to watch some Cesar Milan (and a few others as well) but I only use what I know won't damage my dogs physically or mentally...

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Husky Owners mobile app

Back to your original issue, the white Husky that's part of our playdates group only exibits dominating behaviour towards black dogs. He'll play and hump a female now and again, but he 'sizes up' every black male dog he meets. His owner said he must have had a bad experience with a black dog somewhere...
With Tsunami it took a few months to figure out what triggered his anxiety attacks. And only after a year+ of working on it he is now slowly starting to improve!
So take your time and if you put in the effort it will definitely improve over time!

I'm seeing some improvement with what I've picked up from this forum and it is worth the effort, my aim for Luka is to be able to walk him without hackles raised and feeling secure if a dog walks by.

I'm seeing some improvement with what I've picked up from this forum and it is worth the effort, my aim for Luka is to be able to walk him without hackles raised and feeling secure if a dog walks by.

Is Luka the purebred Husky or the mixed one? (I think I read somewhere about your one not being 100% Husky, but forgive me if I got you confused with someone else!)
I have a Border Collie that is very much reactive to anything that moves or makes a sound![emoji23] I walk him in a normal harness but put a head halti on and have a rope attached to that, so that when he starts his barking and lunging the rope of the head halti pulls and he doesn't like that...it seems to help a lot, so hoping it will get him out of that mindset and he'll later forget to do it altogether!

It's Luka I think may be a cross, the vet says he's half Akita, I've sent off for new DNA as I'd like to know if he's a mix. I was using a head harness but the difference was minimal with his pulling but gave me more control when dealing with his fear aggression towards other dogs. I'm trying a new approach now, I'm just using the Vari-harness with no head collar and when I see a dog approaching I turn Luka so he's sitting side on to the dog, works only when a dog is on a lead, off lead dogs are a nightmare for him.

On the leash, we take him to an off lead field for a run with Cai and Toby the terrier, he gets on well with Toby. With Luka you make progress for a couple of days and then you're back to square one, but he's only 15 months old. Onward and upward!

Archived