How do you convince a dog man you can't train prey drive out of a husky

chelseafan

So when we go on holiday we put Cai and Luka in the kennels it's a 5 min drive in a small village that's surrounded by sheep. They've both kennelled there since 6 months of age, I'm happy with the care they receive, he's a good bloke, an old fashioned dog man! He repeatedly tells me he wished he could of had them for about a month at a time, separately, and he would have trained them to walk past the sheep with no reaction, I say it can't be done, he says it can. So bank holiday weekend I'm taking my 13 year old off for 2 days and they're going to the kennel, again this morning he said he could train it out of them, he's currently training a lab not to do it........say no more. Wondering what everyone thinks about this.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

Just smile sweetly and par him on the head.......

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Pat not par!! [emoji23]

People like him will never listen and always know best as long as your happy he will not put your dog at risk then smile sweetly and ignore. You could ask how he trains them and say you don't agree with it to see if that stops him.

Just smile and nod , tell him about all the stories of huskies getting loose and getting shot because they've been worrying sheep n whilst u appreciate his advice in the matter it's just not
Worth the risk for u to even try to tempt it

Sent from my E6653 using Husky Owners mobile app

People like him will never listen and always know best as long as your happy he will not put your dog at risk then smile sweetly and ignore. You could ask how he trains them and say you don't agree with it to see if that stops him.

I've given him the reasons why I won't allow it but he's like a dog with a bone, I think he may see it as a challenge, it's never going to happen so a smile it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

I know a newly qualified dog trainer and partner which run a doggy day care and tell me the same thing. They say any dog can be trained to recal, be off the lead etc. They think I'm mad when I tell them it's not possible and they think I'm slightly cruel [emoji849]

I can now walk through a field of cows and sleep within inches of them without any reaction which took me a while. So I do think the prey drive ON LEAD can be overcome to an degree.

What is it exactly he wants to try to do? Be offlead around livestock or walk past onlead without reacting? If it's the latter then my reaction would possibly be: "go on then, you're so sure of yourself try it and see!" Just to get it out of his system and stop the argument. Obviously if it's offlead or there is any danger involved then that's totally different and in that case forget it!

It depends HOW he would train it out of them, punishment for reacting or reward for not reacting......
I take Amy to the local agricultural college where there are some lovely walks but obviously we do come across livestock, some sheep came up to the gate to look at Amy so I let her sniff them through the bars, she just licked their ears!! If they were running away however shed want to chase!!

mine have no problem with livestock when they are onlead....with sheep however they are fine when the sheep do not move otherwise hell for leather...LOLOL

I am of the opinion that prey drive cannot be trained out unless you use cruel methods where the dog knows it is going to be punished if it does go after the prey...

He wants to attempt to train a dog without the owners present?! That's crazy!
I honestly don't see what point there is to that. Like the others have said, how do you know what he's doing is appropriate? and even though I doubt much would be achieved, that's not really the point. How is someone supposed to continue any kind of training when they haven't observed how?

I don't want him to even attempt to do it as I don't believe he could with mine, especially Cai, he tries to hunt just on a walk!! Like Jo said what methods would he use, I roll my eyes at him when he says he could do it, I live in mid-Wales, we're surrounded by sheep, my two go nuts when they smell them. I've purposely walked by the fields regularly, tried calming them, treats, etc it doesn't work and I certainly wouldn't allow anyone to hurt them, training or not.

• 1 month later...

Yes I am skeptical too!

Post back if the dog man succeeds!!

In obedience class, I asked teacher about this and she said, call him to you, give lots of treats. But i really can not imagine our dog ever choosing little bits of chicken and cheese, over going for a deer or raccoon or cat...he gets so excited, panting hard, ears up, in HUNT mode...I think the only way he would even notice food is if he were starving!

• 3 months later...

You can train it but I would never risk taking out more then two or three huskies at a time. You had any more they turn into pack crazy monsters.
I teach it with a 50ft lunge line and a Kong Squeaker. With the horses at the pond 1500 ft away. Usually what has to be watched is the flight animal reaction of they run they instantly become prey. If they hold their ground and wait it out. The flight animal will be okay.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

• 4 months later...

I really think that’s the answer Markie. Both my cats have worked out that by not running Luna won’t chase them. The Bengal has gone from almost being hysterical to walking calmly past her without flinching because Luna just ignores him. Genie the Main Coone had that worked out very early on, she has once or twice smacked Luna but now when they meet Luna gives her a little lick (much to Genie's disgust lol).

The biggest surprise though is that Luna doesn’t even chase the hens. They are now sharing space, not my choice but the daft creatures started getting into her part of the garden and I couldn’t believe they were still in one piece. I suspect that because she could see and hear them in their enclosure she got used to them. Even if they get too close to a buried bone, she runs over to the bone, she doesn’t go after the hens. She will lie in the garden while they peck and scratch all over it and just ignores them. Even when they cockle after laying, just doesn’t move.

She has turned into a much admired lovely dog but I still wouldn’t let her off near sheep! They have been in the fields right next to where we dog walk all winter and she has never let up wanting to get at them, ears up, tries to get as near as she can and if she spooks them and they run has to be held back. The lambs dancing on top of the abandoned silage rolls had her really wound up. They’ve gone now thank goodness so she’s much more relaxed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived