Hello from Kansas

Alfonso

Greetings,

This past week I was fortunate enough to find the perfect rescue dog. I have had my Husky for a week now and he is such a sweet heart. A bit underweight but the Vet said 5-10 pounds extra should do it. He just turned 6 years old and have been taking him on morning and evening jogs and he loves it. He has only barked once and hasn't howled. My only concern is that it seems like he brings out the feistiness of other dogs. 3 smaller dogs have literally attacked my Husky and I've had to interfere. Any tips, or ideas of what might be happening? Is he intimidating the other dogs? Or maybe mine is growling at them without me hearing him? Thanks everyone!

IMG_6057.PNG

Welcome to husky owners.

Some dogs, particularly smaller ones seem to feel threatened by a dog like the husky. Not entirely sure what it is about them, their stance? Their tail curled? Whatever it is, it can certainly bug other dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Amys the same, desperately trying to meet any dog to say hello! Some smaller dogs even hide behind their owners!! [emoji23]

I have the same problem  -   Marley loves everybody yet other dogs just don't like him on sight.   Before we get anywhere near them they are barking and lunging at him.   He has been attacked by a couple of dobermans (off lead), knocking him over, running and lunging at him, a boxer/staffy cross type thing (also off lead) that had a mouthful of neck fur before  his owner managed to get to him and pull him off,  and a smaller dog barking and yapping into his face (again the mutt was off lead).      Marley did not react to any of those dogs, just standing there, letting them do what they wanted without reaction.    He is however well capable of looking after himself if he has to, in the two short-lived arguments between him and Lunar my older dog  -  its been Lunar that has come off very much the worse for wear both times.

Be proud of your non-reactive dog  -  he is secure in who he is and is comfortable in his husky skin.

Small dogs definitely feel intimidated by any large dog. I think it's in their nature because they know they're small little things so all they have for protection is "teeth" to bite. It's happened to both my Huskies. I just tell their owners to start keeping their small dogs on leash and CONTROL them instead of letting them run freely to my dogs on leash ... It takes just "one bite" from our Huskies ...🤗

~ANGIE

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/08/2017 at 9:30 AM, chelseafan said:

Hi, my two are constantly growled and barked at by small dogs, I'm used to it now, but it used to frustrate me, mine don't bark or growl back they just look at them.

Mine does the same just looks like who do you think you are

Archived