11 week old husky terrified of dogs

Zander

I just got my puppy named Zander one week ago along with his sister Athena who is owned by my sister who is living with my husband and 7 year daughter and I. They are 11 weeks old. We do have a female yorkie that will be a year old in 2 months. Zander is terrified of other dog's. We can be on a walk and as soon as he sees another dog he starts whining loudly pulling back on his leash flipping around to escape away from the dog who's across the street paying no attention to Zander. If a dog trys to approach us wagging it's tail barking friendly to say hello Zander starts to really freak out. He acts like he's being attacked. He's screams with panic howling in a loud scream flopping all over the place. This makes even the sweetest dog hair stand and wants to attack Zander. If Zander is around a dog for awhile he'll calm down and be ok like he done with our other dog Baby Doll. He acts like this rather he's alone or with the other dog's in our home that have no fear with other dog's.  Please help I've never encountered a puppy to ever act in complete panic like this before. I'm afraid he's going to hurt himself or get himself hurt by acting like this. 

20170731_130348.jpg

49 minutes ago, Zander said:

I just got my puppy named Zander one week ago along with his sister Athena who is owned by my sister who is living with my husband and 7 year daughter and I. They are 11 weeks old. We do have a female yorkie that will be a year old in 2 months. Zander is terrified of other dog's. We can be on a walk and as soon as he sees another dog he starts whining loudly pulling back on his leash flipping around to escape away from the dog who's across the street paying no attention to Zander. If a dog trys to approach us wagging it's tail barking friendly to say hello Zander starts to really freak out. He acts like he's being attacked. He's screams with panic howling in a loud scream flopping all over the place. This makes even the sweetest dog hair stand and wants to attack Zander. If Zander is around a dog for awhile he'll calm down and be ok like he done with our other dog Baby Doll. He acts like this rather he's alone or with the other dog's in our home that have no fear with other dog's.  Please help I've never encountered a puppy to ever act in complete panic like this before. I'm afraid he's going to hurt himself or get himself hurt by acting like this. 

20170731_130348.jpg

I just got him a week ago so I really don't know but since I've had him yes. We don't have puppy socialization training classes near me unfortunately.

I just got him a week ago so I really don't know but since I've had him yes. We don't have puppy socialization training classes near me unfortunately.

Did anything happen to him at the breeders that u know of? Maybe he was bitten by a bigger dog making him scared of others

Sent from my E6653 using Husky Owners mobile app

I think a behaviourist is your best option, they will be able to see the trigger points and tell you what you can do

My behaviourist said if they have a bad experience with something, show them 100 nice things which desensitises them. So if he's had a bad experience with a dog, take him out and show him 100 nice dogs! Probably not possible in a day, but you need to get him to meet as many dogs as possible somehow.

Hes not going to stay a puppy for long so this needs to be sorted out soon before he gets big as I'm sure you are probably aware

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Agree he could have had a bad experience but also having no experience can invoke the same reactions as it's something new and some dogs are afraid of new things. Desensitising is the way to go for both things. Gradually exposing them to the thing that's scaring them.
Is he definitely afraid? Ice would squeal and try to buck out of his harness in frustration as he wanted to go meet the dog. Unfortunately once he got close to the other dog then he'd get scared as although he was eager to go and see them, once he was there he was like "oh no! What do I do now?!"

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Archived