Any fundamental difference in temperament between huskies and malamutes?

Axiom

8 hours ago, ARMANI & ALINAH said:

I just love these little tests you give us proud Husky Owners LOL! It looks like ah ah a fox??
Ok, I say by the face only, the long nose appears to be a Husky, the ears are separated more & shorter like a Malamute, the face mask is a mix between a Husky & Malamute. With part of body shown it looks like a Malamute. So my overall guess, 25% Husky & 75% Malamute.

Nope, it's a purebreed malamute. I think the morphological changes in the nose is just genetic variation. There are too many mal examples in which long noses are prevelant.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, how about this one: same sex aggression. Anything there on huskies? Many mals, mine included, despise same sex dogs (with some exceptions if they grew up together).. They tolerate them until a wrong signal is sent.

I only have a male & female so I haven't witnessed much with the same sex aggression. I'm kind of a new Husky owner having raised our 1.5yr old from 8weeks and just adopted our female (9months). But most of the owner's on this Husky Owners Forum are very knowledgeable in both Huskies & Malamutes. By the way, you may need your coffee for today.🤣

P.S. Are you the expert teacher on the Malamute Owners Forum?? Also, in your picture, is that your black Lab (very beautiful).

37 minutes ago, ARMANI & ALINAH said:

I only have a male & female so I haven't witnessed much with the same sex aggression. I'm kind of a new Husky owner having raised our 1.5yr old from 8weeks and just adopted our female (9months). But most of the owner's on this Husky Owners Forum are very knowledgeable in both Huskies & Malamutes. By the way, you may need your coffee for today.🤣

P.S. Are you the expert teacher on the Malamute Owners Forum?? Also, in your picture, is that your black Lab (very beautiful).

The dog in the picture is not mine. I was a fosterparent (think that's the term) for a working line labrador going to a blind person. I will put up a picture of my malamute/golden (mostly malamute). And no, I'm no expert teacher.

19 minutes ago, ARMANI & ALINAH said:

I think it's wonderful you being a foster parent! And the lab is gorgeous. I was just joking with ya about being an expert teacher, etc. I just think you have a great passion for all dogs.
Have a great day!

I love mostly northern breeds, as well as german shepherds and Rotweillers. What I miss in northern breeds like malamutes (don't know about husky) is the akita loyalty. Despite akita being a close relative! Even after bonding with me, she*s still an experience junkie and would happily go along with a stranger just for the fun of it. 

I have 2 boys, Cai is pure husky and Luka is half husky and half mal or shepherd but the vet says half Akita, waiting on DNA results, anyhow, they are very close, they play fight daily but they are lost without each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

1 hour ago, chelseafan said:

I have 2 boys, Cai is pure husky and Luka is half husky and half mal or shepherd but the vet says half Akita, waiting on DNA results, anyhow, they are very close, they play fight daily but they are lost without each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

I guess Luka is the brown and white (sobel) one..? Can you put up some pictures. It looks to me like half malamute without question on your avatar.

I was thrilled to learn that the dog used in the opening scene of John Carpenters The Thing was a purebreed alaskan malamute! It's one of my favourite movies. The dog later used for the action was a malamute/wolf hybrid, because it worked better in front of the  camera. You can also spot a siberian husky part of the dog pack in the scene were the dogs get attacked.

The third picture is apparently the malamute/wolf hybrid used to potray the same character seen in the beginning.

thing4[1].jpg

thing-clark.jpg

JCjeddog.jpg

You can see from those pictures in the 80s that the malamute seems to have changed quite a bit... or that google favours show line mals....!!!

9 hours ago, Axiom said:

Oh, how about this one: same sex aggression. Anything there on huskies? Many mals, mine included, despise same sex dogs (with some exceptions if they grew up together).. They tolerate them until a wrong signal is sent.

When we were looking to adopt first (male) husky we met didn't like or get on with other males as we had Charlie we went no further with him. Solo on the other hand loves everyone male, female human or dog though is slightly scared of daughter in law's bichon/cavalier cross.

Hah! Just rewatched the dog scenes in The Thing. The dog in the beginning is clearly a wolf hybrid, no matter what Carpenter claims. . The coat however is malamute inherited. The tail never curls even when excited (running). I've never seen a fullbreed malamute with a tail permanently carried low, instead of curving to touch the back. Not to mention the eyes... 

Archived