Any fundamental difference in temperament between huskies and malamutes?

Axiom

4 hours ago, Axiom said:

Let me ask you, what is the point of this message? If you don't know, you don't post, obviously. Unless you want to take up space.

can we switch the polite button on ... it is a forum people discuss....

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think I made my point of not basing differences in size/physique. Let's move on husky owners and pretend you already knew that[emoji6] 
Now the tail business does relate to temperament (sort of). Anybody know why, at least malamutes, always keep them low when at home?. I'm sure she's excited some of the time at home! 
Are huskie tails also carried low at home?

Pretend I know what exactly?

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

I will make a list of arguable, universal temperament features of the alaskan malamute. Let's see how much of a fit it is with the siberian Husky.

1. Stuborness and self-centeredness. Rarely seeking to please the owner just for the sake of it. 

2. Self dependent when let off the leash. Willing to take risks and leave the owner in favour of hunting or other activities. 

3. Strong sense of dignity in the eyes of other dogs. Can get ticked off when other dogs don't show respect. 

4. Relatively indifferent to obedience if not thoroughly trained for it.

5. Will not neccesarily come even if you call his/her name unlike many other breeds that are happy to oblige

6. Outstanding mental stability.

I will make a list of arguable, universal temperament features of the alaskan malamute. Let's see how much of a fit it is with the siberian Husky.

1. Stuborness and self-centeredness. Rarely seeking to please the owner just for the sake of it. 
2. Self dependent when let off the leash. Willing to take risks and leave the owner in favour of hunting or other activities. 
3. Strong sense of dignity in the eyes of other dogs. Can get ticked off when other dogs don't show respect. 
5. Will not neccesarily come even if you call his/her name unlike many other breeds that are happy to oblige

Depends on the dog
Blaze and skyla can both be stubborn but at the same time will listen when asked to do something , skyla more willingly in most aspects tho
Skyla can be let off the lead not that I do anymore and blaze i wouldn't risk at all
Wouldn't know about point 3 , skyla is fearful with other dogs so blaze protects her , if they hadn't been attacked i would probably be able to answer this
Not at all both of mine are very well trained , I've never had to train skyla to walk nicely on a lead she's never pulled they both listen to commands without extensive training , I do keep up with their training on walks but find they're generally well behaved regardless I've always said skyla is a lab in husky clothing with how obedient she is
I think that (point 6) can be said for most breeds personally

Sent from my E6653 using Husky Owners mobile app

21 minutes ago, BingBlaze n Skyla said:

Depends on the dog
Blaze and skyla can both be stubborn but at the same time will listen when asked to do something , skyla more willingly in most aspects tho
Skyla can be let off the lead not that I do anymore and blaze i wouldn't risk at all
Wouldn't know about point 3 , skyla is fearful with other dogs so blaze protects her , if they hadn't been attacked i would probably be able to answer this
Not at all both of mine are very well trained , I've never had to train skyla to walk nicely on a lead she's never pulled they both listen to commands without extensive training , I do keep up with their training on walks but find they're generally well behaved regardless I've always said skyla is a lab in husky clothing with how obedient she is
I think that (point 6) can be said for most breeds personally

Mine has a success rate when calling her name to meet me of about 10%. and she still got 25% Golden Retriever (father is 50/mal/50 golden). Doesn't greet me at the door when I come home unless I've been away from her a week. Has never cried, ever.. Even when taking her home as a puppy.  Sleeps and hangs at the balcony most of the time

As a 13 month old ripped a 2 year old amstaff that went beserk and attacked her, causing the amstaff scars in the face. Then wanted to stay and play in the grass, while the amstaff was shaking. No psychological trauma from any bad episode with dogs. 

I think she's on the extreme spectrum of malamutes. And I probably got the alpha girl too.

Mine has a success rate when calling her name to meet me of about 10%. and she still got 25% Golden Retriever (father is 50/mal/50 golden). Doesn't greet me at the door when I come home unless I've been away from her a week. Has never cried, ever.. Even when taking her home as a puppy.  Sleeps and hangs at the balcony most of the time
As a 13 month old ripped a 2 year old amstaff that went beserk and attacked her, causing the amstaff scars in the face. Then wanted to stay and play in the grass, while the amstaff was shaking. No psychological trauma from any bad episode with dogs. 
I think she's on the extreme spectrum of malamutes. And I probably got the alpha girl too.

Oh mine greet me every time , I don't live with my 2 but I still walk them every day my boy has never destroyed anything my girl did go through a chewing stage but outgrew it she's never attacked another dog despite being attacked as a pup my boy hasn't either he just puts himself in front and blocks , they're very chilled out too , spend most of their time asleep lol

1 minute ago, BingBlaze n Skyla said:

Oh mine greet me every time , I don't live with my 2 but I still walk them every day my boy has never destroyed anything my girl did go through a chewing stage but outgrew it she's never attacked another dog despite being attacked as a pup my boy hasn't either he just puts himself in front and blocks , they're very chilled out too , spend most of their time asleep lol

I was surprised by that a lot. She never cares what I do in the apartment. I can leave anytime and return whenever I want to. She acts as a roommate more than a needy dog. This is characteristic wolf behavior. The breeder insists the mother only had malamute, no wolf. 

I was surprised by that a lot. She never cares what I do in the apartment. I can leave anytime and return whenever I want to. She acts as a roommate more than a needy dog. This is characteristic wolf behavior. The breeder insists the mother only had malamute, no wolf. 

To be fair they probably only greet me because they know I'm there to walk them but it's nice to think they're happy to see me lol

Pardon?

Early thread...i really don't get the questions posed! I'm pretty sure all dogs come in all shapes and sizes...and tails...lol.

I was reading it and thinking what exactly is this thread for?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Husky Owners mobile app

Here is Arjun...6 times out of 10 people come up to me and ask if he is a collie!

a9a8971d60f1ed8299fa842567ab5a04.jpg

Early thread...i really don't get the questions posed! I'm pretty sure all dogs come in all shapes and sizes...and tails...lol.

Here is Arjun...6 times out of 10 people come up to me and ask if he is a collie!

a9a8971d60f1ed8299fa842567ab5a04.jpg&key=83a91cfb39e34552437508a2b10c7f0731c1e6ed91ab03da9f46d0f8ece0b10f

Ooh ok lol I got confused [emoji14] , my poor Skyla is everything but a husky including a German Shepherd x golden retriever apparently lol , I once got asked if she'd get her colour as she got older too I'm pretty sure she looked nothing like a dalmatian when she was a pup lol

Ooh ok lol I got confused [emoji14] , my poor Skyla is everything but a husky including a German Shepherd x golden retriever apparently lol , I once got asked if she'd get her colour as she got older too I'm pretty sure she looked nothing like a dalmatian when she was a pup lol

I think thats his baby fur still...a lot more white to come.

To be fair they probably only greet me because they know I'm there to walk them but it's nice to think they're happy to see me lol

Awww, I bet they are happy to see you. Every time someone comes home all three of mine will literally mob you at the door. Bear has learnt not to jump (training worked with one dog at least [emoji23]) so she walks around you wagging her tail and smiling. Pepper (the new little one) bounces up and down like a jack in the box and Ice being Ice will jump up and put his paws on your shoulder whilst enthusiastically licking your face. Usually whilst I'm trying to say "down!" Through gritted teeth lest I open my mouth and get French kissed by my dog [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

2 hours ago, Arjun 2016 said:

a9a8971d60f1ed8299fa842567ab5a04.jpg

Dog owners in general don't know squat. That's an easily recognizable husky. 

Awww, I bet they are happy to see you. Every time someone comes home all three of mine will literally mob you at the door. Bear has learnt not to jump (training worked with one dog at least [emoji23]) so she walks around you wagging her tail and smiling. Pepper (the new little one) bounces up and down like a jack in the box and Ice being Ice will jump up and put his paws on your shoulder whilst enthusiastically licking your face. Usually whilst I'm trying to say "down!" Through gritted teeth lest I open my mouth and get French kissed by my dog [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

We leave Arjun in his playpen when we go out. When we come back he gets so happy and jumpy...but he knows he doesnt come out the playpen until he is calm...and then straight outside to urinate.

The routine is working at the moment but who knows what will happen...huskies are lovely.

Marley and Lunar both mob us when we come home  -   and anyone else who dares enter 'their' den.   Lunar vary rarely gives kisses  -  but beware of Marley - he jumps up and gives you a kiss on the mouth  (no tongues thankfully).

As to your questions:

14 hours ago, Axiom said:

1.    Yes

2.   Would not dare let him off lead  -  he would not stop running until he hit the next county.     Recall is not a strong point despite trying for 18 months.  (TBH its non existent)

3.   Nope.   He is too forward with other dogs  -  they tend to not understand he just wants to play all the time with everybody, loves everybody  -  despite being attacked twice even when he was not at fault.   Both the other dogs were off lead and owner unable to control them.

4.   Unfortunately yes  -  even after hundreds of pounds spent both in classes   and ongoing individual trainer lessons

5.  Yup  -  unless he can see its to his benefit

6.   Defo.   Most intelligent dog I have ever had.   There is only one door he cannot open  -  he can even unlock the back door to get out.    Most mornings we get up to an open back door and find him asleep in the garden.    In classes he gave them exactly what they asked for - but as soon as the door is opened at end of classes - all bets are off and he immediately reverts to normal.

Also the most loving dog I have ever had  (when he wants something)    He has different ways of telling me what he wants - so I know exactly what it is he is cuddling up to me for before I get up.   He goes to the fridge, the freezer or the treat box depending on what he is after if he gets to the kitchen before I do as well (which is most times).

Huskies (mine particularly) are the most challenging of breeds, the most exasperating, but also the most wonderful of all breeds (IMHO)  more independent that 'normal' dogs, my other dog is a Utonagan (related breed -  Husky x Mal)  and he is more like a normal dog inasmuch as he can and does go off lead nearly all the time, does not go more than about 10-20 feet away, is not really interested in other dogs or people, he depends on me and does not like me too far away, and keeps coming back to check in with me  -  never had to 'recall' him, just wait a minute and he comes  by himself.

I love all Northern breed dogs  -  there is just something special about them (apart from their good looks)

I didn't have sufficient priviligies to write on this forum for several hours! Anybody know why?

Anyway, how about the claim of one breeder that huskies are playful, while malamutes have a more serious stroke to their mentality (can be dangerous in certain circumstances). 

Is that universally true, that Huskies are by and large playful and sweet? 

AXIOM~ You're back! =)
I have two Husky puppies (1.5yrs old and a 9mth old) and they are so compassionate, loving, playful & well disciplined. Our neighbor has a Husky and a Malamute. Both are the same as mine (LOVING, etc.)
I believe it really depends solely on every dog and on the owner raising them. If you're not so loving to puppies, etc., then the puppies may not grow up being sweet, loving, etc. I feel it more depends on their owners & how they raise every dog no matter the breed.

I just love these little tests you give us proud Husky Owners LOL! It looks like ah ah a fox??
Ok, I say by the face only, the long nose appears to be a Husky, the ears are separated more & shorter like a Malamute, the face mask is a mix between a Husky & Malamute. With part of body shown it looks like a Malamute. So my overall guess, 25% Husky & 75% Malamute.

I didn't have sufficient priviligies to write on this forum for several hours! Anybody know why?
Anyway, how about the claim of one breeder that huskies are playful, while malamutes have a more serious stroke to their mentality (can be dangerous in certain circumstances). 
Is that universally true, that Huskies are by and large playful and sweet? 

Marc was doing some work on the forum

Archived