Any fundamental difference in temperament between huskies and malamutes?

Axiom

5 minutes ago, BingBlaze n Skyla said:

Like I said they tend to mostly be kept curled over , they have a tighter curl then huskies too , huskies carry their in more of a sickle curve

Sent from my E6653 using Husky Owners mobile app

And I'm saying  that it's wrong. The tail is carried low permanently while in their home. For instance  walking around in my apartment to different stations and curled as soon as we go out. As for the curled tail in huskies they can touch their backs too, as I've witnessed countless of times, but it may be penalized in a show line, unlike for malamutes.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Then what's the point in this thread if u know the difference between breeds already? Or am I totally missing something here because every response you've gotten you've had an answer for as to why we're wrong?
U already know each dog is different and that they can vary between the same breed to different breed , and that some huskies/mals don't meet their 'suspected' temperament the breed standards for everything including temperament is obviously just a guideline and you're going to get dogs from each breed that don't meet any of those standards

6 minutes ago, BingBlaze n Skyla said:

Then what's the point in this thread if u know the difference between breeds already? Or am I totally missing something here because every response you've gotten you've had an answer for as to why we're wrong?
U already know each dog is different and that they can vary between the same breed to different breed , and that some huskies/mals don't meet their 'suspected' temperament the breed standards for everything including temperament is obviously just a guideline and you're going to get dogs from each breed that don't meet any of those standards

Because I know the exteriors  like the Bible... The ears on that husky picture were wide apart, like a malamute, it was large, like a malamute. And guess what, it was still a majestic Siberian Husky! So all those universal claims of exterior differences are NOT universal. That's why I don't read sites claiming to know differences about their temperament when they clearly don't know the exteriors and can only make claims that are true SOMEtimes.

Because I know the exteriors  like the Bible... The ears on that husky picture were wide apart, like a malamute, it was large, like a malamute. And guess what, it was still a majestic Siberian Husky! So all those universal claims of exterior differences are NOT universal. That's why I don't read sites claiming to know differences about their temperament when they clearly don't know the exteriors and can only make claims that are true SOMEtimes.

But depending on what that husky in the pic was focusing on could have had that husky holding its ears further apart for that pic , I have pics of my boy holding his ears high set and lower down depending on sometimes what he's doing or what he's looking at etc , going by pics you're gonna find some similarities and you can't always judge size by pics either , in some pics my female looks a lot bigger than my male in others he looks bigger too , if u had a malamute and a husky side by side in person you'd be able to differentiate a lot easier

Let's say aswell , I've heard malamutes can be same sex aggressive too , your experience to that might be the total opposite , the problem here is most people on here tend to have huskies so we can only answer on again what we've read or experienced , I know a woman at my work who has a malamute who can't be around other dogs , there's a malamute in my area that has to wear a muzzle on walks , on the other side of that I've met malamutes who are fine with other dogs and some that are totally aloof n couldn't care about dog or human , I think alot of it is genetics and temperament but also how the dog is brought up aswell or something that's happened in that dogs life to make it act a certain way

Like how they say huskies aren't protective but I've just had my boy protect me n my girl or maybe just my girl lol from an offlead dog by putting himself in front and growling to keep it away , not being aggressive but warning the dog to stay back

Just now, BingBlaze n Skyla said:

But depending on what that husky in the pic was focusing on could have had that husky holding its ears further apart for that pic , I have pics of my boy holding his ears high set and lower down depending on sometimes what he's doing or what he's looking at etc , going by pics you're gonna find some similarities and you can't always judge size by pics either , in some pics my female looks a lot bigger than my male in others he looks bigger too , if u had a malamute and a husky side by side in person you'd be able to differentiate a lot easier

That striking Husky is 100% malamute size.  If it wasn't for the blue eyes, I would have bet on a malamute. There is a fairly large variance of size/physique in mals. Some are very robust, others more wolfy...

Here's another husky one: mal size and physique. Impossible to distinguish bodywise. 

00e9384bc955aee76d2f768af941815b.jpg

Let me ask you, what is the point of this message? If you don't know, you don't post, obviously. Unless you want to take up space.

Likewise I don't understand the point of most of your posts on here. I own huskies and couldn't care a less about the anatomy of a malamute. Not just me taking up space it seems

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

That striking Husky is 100% malamute size.  If it wasn't for the blue eyes, I would have bet on a malamute. There is a fairly large variance of size/physique in mals. Some are very robust, others more wolfy...
Here's another husky one: mal size and physique. Impossible to distinguish bodywise. 

00e9384bc955aee76d2f768af941815b.thumb.jpg.be494a4e3fd9e8f890427be77a5c22a7.jpg

How do u know that's mal sized unless the person who's posted the pic has put the dogs size up though? Pics can be misleading
Look here my girl is bigger than my male b1180d4db26e26bdd53425995329a067.jpg
Now my girl is smaller than him
f93faed3d38be5df049b65e2a7aef8cf.jpg

How do u know that's mal sized unless the person who's posted the pic has put the dogs size up though? Pics can be misleading

And what exactly are the sizes of these dogs you are posting? Do you know the owners where you can get the measurements or are you just getting them from Google?

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

I think I made my point of not basing differences in size/physique. Let's move on husky owners and pretend you already knew that;) 

Now the tail business does relate to temperament (sort of). Anybody know why, at least malamutes, always keep them low when at home?. I'm sure she's excited some of the time at home! 

Are huskie tails also carried low at home?

I think I made my point of not basing differences in size/physique. Let's move on Husky owners and pretend you already knew that[emoji6] 
Now the tail business does relate to temperament (sort of). Anybody know why, at least malamutes, always keep them low when at home?. I'm sure she's excited some of the time at home! 
Are huskie tails also carried low at home?

But u are basing differences in size , those huskies u don't know if they're mal sized or not , my boy looks big in these pics too but he's only 7/8 months old in these ;)
f41e334e0797ea34c8a8c6d7f2194fe0.jpg
0a3608434143570df3e3bb7c62a8e054.jpg

1 minute ago, BingBlaze n Skyla said:

But u are basing differences in size , those huskies u don't know if they're mal sized or not , my boy looks big in these pics too but he's only 7/8 months old in these ;)
f41e334e0797ea34c8a8c6d7f2194fe0.jpg
0a3608434143570df3e3bb7c62a8e054.jpg

I will concide that the positioning of the ears can fool the eyes... I was referring mainly to the size and physique of the body. Your husky would pass for a malamute body. Certainly of the slimmer type, but it would pass...  I've visisted a girl competing with Malamutes in speed pulling against Huskies and Greenland dogs, and her mals (mostly female) were petite in mass and height. People don't know that because show line Malamutes are bred to be as big and "fat" as possible.

I will concide that the positioning of the ears can fool the eyes... I was referring mainly to the size and physique of the body. Your husky would pass for a malamute body. Certainly of the slimmer type, but it would pass...  I've visisted a girl competing with Malamutes in speed pulling against Huskies and Greenland dogs, and her mals (mostly female) were petite in mass and height. People don't know that because show line Malamutes are bred to be as big and "fat" as possible.

But next to a malamute he really wouldn't pass ;) lol

Just now, BingBlaze n Skyla said:

But next to a malamute he really wouldn't pass ;) lol

Your husky, although very beautiful, is not as appriopriate counter example as the one just discussed. Put it like this ... His body would pass for a female malamute...  I see some small nuances related to the ears, but other than that pretty much Malamute all the way. He could infiltrate a malamute pack and pretend to be one of them for sure!

Your husky, although very beautiful, is not as appriopriate counter example as the one just discussed. Put it like this ... His body would pass for a female malamute...  I see some small nuances related to the ears, but other than that pretty much Malamute all the way. He could infiltrate a malamute pack and pretend to be one of them for sure!

Lol thing is he really couldn't because he is breed standard for size and weight for a husky , my girl is actually taller an heavier then him which is why I'm saying pics can be very misleading if u met him straight away you'd know the difference ;)

2 minutes ago, BingBlaze n Skyla said:

Lol thing is he really couldn't because he is breed standard for size and weight for a husky , my girl is actually taller an heavier then him which is why I'm saying pics can be very misleading if u met him straight away you'd know the difference ;)

What breed is the other dog? 

And you think this Husky male is of standard size and simply decieves the eye to be of a fairly typical malamute body?
Black-Magic-Big-Boy.thumb.jpg.b7adc663aa95284d0128ae3a6821259a.jpg

I wouldn't like to say without actually seeing the dog in person but yes to me straight away i see husky not mal , now I might be wrong and you might be right and he could be massive compared to a husky but going by pics you can't actually know how big a dog is unless it's size, weight etc is posted with the pic
Would u say my girl looks to be more malamute sized
e15a05d022678a351bbd23409567334d.jpg
Or more husky sized
1a388330f1f66b54670f8e6c3070be08.jpg
Coat thickness , and pics can be very misleading :)

14 minutes ago, BingBlaze n Skyla said:

I wouldn't like to say without actually seeing the dog in person but yes to me straight away i see husky not mal , now I might be wrong and you might be right and he could be massive compared to a husky but going by pics you can't actually know how big a dog is unless it's size, weight etc is posted with the pic
Would u say my girl looks to be more malamute sized
e15a05d022678a351bbd23409567334d.jpg
Or more husky sized
1a388330f1f66b54670f8e6c3070be08.jpg
Coat thickness , and pics can be very misleading :)

I can't say. That husky would be deemed "incorrect" by the judges. Long haired Malamutes, Huskies and Greenland dogs are disqualified automatically, since polardogs with long fur would freeze to death from the snow getting stuck in their fur .I have greenland dog friend with the same "incorrect" phenotype.

I can't say. That husky would be deemed "incorrect" by the judges. Long haired Malamutes, Huskies and Greenland dogs are disqualified automatically, since polardogs with long fur would freeze to death from the snow getting stuck in their fur .I have greenland dog friend with the same "incorrect" phenotype.

Oh yeah she's totally incorrect lol but that's why u can't always judge by pics , by malamute standards she's perfect for height and weight by husky standards she's too big and too heavy and when she's got her full coat she looks more mal , when she's in her summer coat she looks a lot more sibe but she is a purebred husky just not a breed standard purebred lol

5 minutes ago, BingBlaze n Skyla said:

Oh yeah she's totally incorrect lol but that's why u can't always judge by pics , by malamute standards she's perfect for height and weight by husky standards she's too big and too heavy and when she's got her full coat she looks more mal , when she's in her summer coat she looks a lot more sibe but she is a purebred husky just not a breed standard purebred lol

The pictured black and white male I linked is a breed standard coat-wise(correct me if I'm wrong). Now, one thing I've noticed is that the muzzle tend to be thinner (again wolfier) for Huskies. But then again, my malamute has a very thin, wolf like muzzle too. But on average, malamutes have broader muzzles, I think.

The pictured black and white male I linked is a breed standard coat-wise(correct me if I'm wrong). Now, one thing I've noticed is that the muzzle tend to be thinner (again wolfier) for Huskies. But then again, my malamute has a very thin, wolf like muzzle too. But on average, malamutes have broader muzzles, I think.

Yeah from what I know malamutes do tend to have a shorter muzzle compared to sibes especially according to standards but then depending on breeding they might not , sadly now days a lot of people are just getting two same breed dogs n breeding without care about standards etc now which is why there's such a variation in both breeds now days which does make it a lot harder to tell 100% the differences

I would say compared to the red husky u posted no the coat on the black husky is wrong , it's slightly too long especially the tail it's too fluffy

13 minutes ago, BingBlaze n Skyla said:

Yeah from what I know malamutes do tend to have a shorter muzzle compared to sibes especially according to standards but then depending on breeding they might not , sadly now days a lot of people are just getting two same breed dogs n breeding without care about standards etc now which is why there's such a variation in both breeds now days which does make it a lot harder to tell 100% the differences

Here's the mother of my dog - 100% malamute. 

How does she look in the eyes of Husky owners? Husky-like or Malamute?

658210933.jpg

Here's the mother of my dog - 100% malamute. 

How does she look in the eyes of Husky owners? Husky-like or Malamute?

658210933.thumb.jpg.3af76e3734ff9d5c5326acb50b1b468f.jpg

Going by broadness I'd say malamute but the ears do look high set which makes her look huskylike too but that could just be the way she's sitting , I don't think anyone should judge by pics alone

Archived