Excitement when walking on lead

Arjun 2016

Arjun is now 10 months and coming along nicely. One problem we have is that he gets very excited when he is walking on the lead and sees other dogs on lead.

He gets up onto his back legs and whines like crazy. It seems worse with other huskies.

Is this normal? When will it stop?

He ous quite powerful now so it is hard to hold him back sometimes! Any help would bee appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Husky Owners mobile app

Arjun is now 10 months and coming along nicely. One problem we have is that he gets very excited when he is walking on the lead and sees other dogs on lead.

He gets up onto his back legs and whines like crazy. It seems worse with other huskies.

Is this normal? When will it stop?

He ous quite powerful now so it is hard to hold him back sometimes! Any help would bee appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Husky Owners mobile app

Amy does this and she's 14 months old, if the other dogs are far enough away I can distract her with playing with me (I do look a little daft jumping around!!) if we have to get closer to pass another dog she jumps on back legs, spins in circles and yes, is hard to hold - my walking belt should arrive this week...... [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

Marley still does this  -  and my walking belt did not help  -  he pulled me over and even dragged me about a foot along the concrete path   -   we were on the way to our vet  -  and it was me they had to treat with badly skinned knees   -  haven't had skinned knees for 60 years!

I taught mine an ignore command , when they'd look at the dog a gentle tug to get their attention , when they turned away I'd say ignore n lots of praise , they'll still look at a dog but are a lot calmer now , blaze can still get a bit worked up because he's protective of skyla so when he gets that worked up i hold his lead really short and keep him walking sometimes holding his collar too to keep his focus forward if the dog ends up behind us

Sent from my E6653 using Husky Owners mobile app

Cai gets excited but not uncontrollable, I started redirecting his attention when he was a pup, I'd say look and point to something in the opposite direction, it works only when the other dog is on a lead, off lead dogs are a different story altogether. Luka has fear aggression so we're working to keep him calm when other dogs are around but the training would prob work for an over excited dog too. I'm telling Luka to sit until the dog passes and holding him on a short leash and lots of praise when he sits nicely, yesterday's walk was a lot more enjoyable, he needs more commands on a walk than Cai does.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

I use "leave it" for anything I don't want them too do. I.e. Other dogs, litter, pee mail. Etc. 

This is is one Of the things I love about our huskies. Their ability to get super excited. 

Bugger other dog owners. 

Ice used to do that, glad I'm not alone. [emoji23]

I used to call it his pig squealing, coz in all honesty I've never heard anything like it. I'm not really sure how it stopped though. It could because I would get him to sit and watch (if I could) or other times I would simply cross the road and carry on going without a fuss. Possibly over time he became desensitised to familiar sights or maybe it was just a case of him calming down as he aged a bit more. Either way the squealing did stop eventually (thank god! [emoji23])

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Archived