My Husky attacked my mom

Justin Fried

Title pretty much says it all. My husky attacked my mom pretty badly and bit her on the arm and on the stomach. She is now terrified of the dog and she wants me to get rid of him. I don't really know what to do because I love him, but he's a danger to our family. He's bit a few of us before. He's very food aggressive and territorial. Do you guys have any idea what I can do? I live in Arizona, but I certainly don't want him to be put to sleep, that would break my heart.

A behaviourist is probably your best bet, ask for testimonials of their previous clients, and maybe a visit to the vet to check there are no underlying health issues. Hope you get this sorted

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

• 3 weeks later...
On July 24, 2017 at 8:58 PM, Justin Fried said:

Title pretty much says it all. My husky attacked my mom pretty badly and bit her on the arm and on the stomach. She is now terrified of the dog and she wants me to get rid of him. I don't really know what to do because I love him, but he's a danger to our family. He's bit a few of us before. He's very food aggressive and territorial. Do you guys have any idea what I can do? I live in Arizona, but I certainly don't want him to be put to sleep, that would break my heart.

What was your mom doing when your dog attacked?

Is you dog intact, or has he been neutered?

Have you had your vet check him to see if he has any health issues causing him pain?

How many hours of human interaction per day with your dog?

You indicate he has bitten before, that he is food aggressive, and he is territorial. Most dogs will growl before they bite, Some people try and train the growling out of the equation (not a good idea); sometimes they do so without realizing. If your dog growled and your mom ignored the growl, then the dog is not at fault. It would really help to know the timeline of events that lead up to the biting, and the dog's demeanor immediately afterward.

If your dog is food aggressive, you might feed him by hand. Also, don't know if you leave food out all the time or not. If you do, stop that practice. When you feed him, do so in a quiet area, with others in the house, are elsewhere in the house. I would muzzle him until you have a keen sense of the issue and know how to control it.

If he is territorial for possessions like toys, chew sticks, that is most likely the same as food aggression. If he is territorial over space, as if someone gets too close, that is true territorial behavior.

It is situations like yours that can lead communities to label Huskies as aggressive. I'm not blaming you, just making a statement.  The fact that this is not the first time your dog has bitten, may indicate you have your work cut out for you. Convincing your mom to give him a chance may be the hardest part. The bottom line is, you need to take positive steps and really work with your dog, either through a behaviorist, or on your own, but I would start out with a behaviorist. Just be aware, it is going to be expensive, but I don't think you have too many options.

Sorry to here you are having issues. Have you owed him long?

When I first got Mowgli he was very aggressive towards me and a couple of members of the family. I was bitten several times. I had to be very firm with him so he learned I was the pack leader. It took me a week to overcome. Even now 7 months on he does need a slight reminder but it takes time and patience. I would take the advice of the above posts or try my firm approach as no dog should need to be put to sleep unless there is no other choice.

Good luck.

Mowgli still has his issues and likes going for my dads legs [emoji849]

Archived